269

Cidu Bill on Aug 29th 2017

aug29-269.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Dark Side of the Horse, comic strips, comics, humor | 19 responses so far

19 Responses to “269”

1. Fluffy Bunny Slippers Aug 29th 2017 at 12:14 am 1

You need over half of 538 electors to win the american electoral college to be elected president, so i’m assuming that this is a political thing just due to the number and colours.

2. john Aug 29th 2017 at 12:19 am 2

An electoral college joke? Not sure what it would be, but that’s all I have.

3. Arthur Aug 29th 2017 at 12:28 am 3

A search shows that 269 is associated with animal rights. Would
    that explain the suited animal trying to stop the other from
    going over the fence? 269 was a calf (I don’t know the breed),
    and that could explain the different color.

4. Mona Aug 29th 2017 at 12:38 am 4

To add to Arthur’s comment, the calf, 269, was rescued before being slaughtered. Are the sheep jumping the fence on their way to be slaughtered? Sheep 269 appears to be wearing clothes, as is the whatever that is trying to stop it from jumping the fence.

However, I think that john has it. 270 votes needed to win. The red 269 is trying to hold back the blue 269 from jumping the fence and winning. The blue one might be wearing a pant-suit and has “Her” hair while the red one has an orange face and “His” hair.

5. furrykef Aug 29th 2017 at 12:44 am 5

Of course, we all know the orange sheep won by the biggest landslide in history, and all reports to the contrary are fake gnus.

6. Mona Aug 29th 2017 at 12:47 am 6

Good one, furrykef!

7. James Pollock Aug 29th 2017 at 01:08 am 7

I don’t know if it’s oversaturation, and so my brain is providing details that aren’t there, or what, but having seen the theory proposed by Mona, I see it, now, too.

As a nation, we’ve shot ourselves in the foot, so the best thing we can do is stay off it for, oh, three-and-a-half-years or so.

8. narmitaj Aug 29th 2017 at 07:47 am 8

The horse is asleep in the final panel - so the normal sheep-counting takes place while he is awake, and then he falls asleep but carries on counting in dream/nightmare mode.

Not being American, I didn’t immediately get the politically significant relevance of the specific numbers (and indeed colours) (and characters) but it all seems plausible. Even without that, though, I think the idea of carrying on counting sheep while asleep in a semi-nightmareish or surreal way is actually funny enough for Nonusians.

9. Bob Aug 29th 2017 at 08:44 am 9

Building on narmitaj’s thought - counting sheep while awake; once asleep, horse immediately goes into dream mode, and the sheep become surreal and do strange, subconscious-created things.

10. Winter Wallaby Aug 29th 2017 at 10:44 am 10

Mona is surely correct about the symbolism - there are way too many match-ups with the ellection for it to be coincidence. But I’m still not sure what the joke is.

11. James Pollock Aug 29th 2017 at 12:30 pm 11

“I’m still not sure what the joke is.”

Over three million horses voted in the last election, and the failing NY Times won’t report it.

12. larK Aug 30th 2017 at 01:17 am 12

Ted: If you guys are really us, what number are we thinking of?
    Bill, Ted: 69, dudes.
    Bill, Ted: Whoa.

13. mary Aug 30th 2017 at 04:06 am 13

MOST excellent!! Party on larK!

But I still don’t get the comic.

14. Mark M Aug 30th 2017 at 08:47 am 14

Except Hillary didn’t make it to 269 votes. I agree with the explanations here but really horse should have made it only to 232.

15. James Pollock Aug 30th 2017 at 12:15 pm 15

“I agree with the explanations here but really horse should have made it only to 232.”

The talking-horse comic strip isn’t realistic enough for you?

16. turquoisecow Aug 30th 2017 at 07:14 pm 16

Was this published months ago? Seems a bit late for an election joke.

17. Samuli Lintula Sep 13th 2017 at 08:42 am 17

Hi Bill!

I love CIDU. Yes, this strip was published on the election day.

I usually aim for the timeless humor, but not that day. Serves me right :D

18. Cidu Bill Sep 14th 2017 at 12:07 am 18

This was so obvious in hindsight — but I’d fallen behind on my comic-reading, and by the time I saw this…

No, wait, no excuses: even without realizing hen this was published, I should have gotten this one.

(and of course not realizing it was timely, I just put it in the general queue)

19. Winter Wallaby Sep 14th 2017 at 12:16 am 19

This makes more a lot more sense as a comic published before the election was decided.