Temple

Cidu Bill on Aug 28th 2017

august28.png

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Cyanide and Happiness, comic strips, comics, humor | 12 responses so far

12 Responses to “Temple”

1. Kamino Neko Aug 28th 2017 at 12:49 am 1

Norwegian Black Metal artists are known for a) dressing like that, and b) burning churches down.

So, the priest tells the NBM guy his body is a temple to God, and he reacts in the most internally consistent way.

2. Kamino Neko Aug 28th 2017 at 12:54 am 2

Doing a quick search, he seems to be specifically wearing a variant of the corpse paint of Infernus, one of the NBM artists who’s praised (though not known to have committed) church burnings. (Although the bit around the eyes isn’t specifically right, the mouth and forehead match up.)

3. James Pollock Aug 28th 2017 at 01:10 am 3

“God is dead.”

4. Ted from Ft. Laud Aug 28th 2017 at 01:26 am 4

I don’t follow C&H much, but that seems a tremendously specific (and non-mainstream) thing to base a “gag” on. Is that common for C&H?

5. Carl Aug 28th 2017 at 06:55 am 5

I had never heard of Norwegian black metal as a separate thing before, but I got immediately. People who dress like that = temple-desecrators. Not very obscure.

6. Mitch4 Aug 28th 2017 at 08:38 am 6

Remarkable depth of knowledge the CIDU squad can deploy! (Or is it a Tribe?)

The business of “Your body is a temple” goes way back of course. One popular application was to tell teenagers to ignore what their hormones are telling them.

7. Ignatz Aug 28th 2017 at 08:47 am 7

Actually, it goes back to 1 Corinthians 6:19, specifically.

8. Ignatz Aug 28th 2017 at 08:48 am 8

And I didn’t understand this one, but I laughed anyway, so mission accomplished.

9. Ted from Ft. Laud Aug 28th 2017 at 03:38 pm 9

I don’t know. To me, that looked like a cross between Alice Cooper and goth (which says neither church burner nor self-immolator to me). I’m admittedly I’m not a fan of extreme metal (thrash, death, black) - and I’m pretty old - so am not familiar with the look or behavior of the members of that coterie - perhaps that is a well known look. I think I disagree with you Carl - while that is a nihilist, anti-(probably everything) appearance, it doesn’t say specifically temple desecrator to me. And (from a little reading) the specific group that does seem to be directly referenced, as Kamino Neko points out, really seems awfully esoteric - unless C&H is specifically targeting metal fans (and fringe metal fans, at that), and I didn’t think that was the case.

10. Soup Dragon Aug 28th 2017 at 07:27 pm 10

Kamino Neko (and C&H) got this spot on, this is really a thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Norwegian_black_metal_scene

Some of these guys are pretty mental…

11. Singapore Bill Aug 29th 2017 at 08:54 pm 11

This place never ceases to amaze me. I came in wondering if I’d have to explain the NBM connection and not only is it here, but it’s the first one. Go team CIDU!

12. Wendy Aug 30th 2017 at 06:06 pm 12

I think it was pretty well drawn. I don’t know anything about NBM that I didn’t learn from the discussion here, but as I scrolled down the first time I read the comic, I was pretty much expecting the last panel. I guess I didn’t specifically expect burning, but certainly the idea of either suicide or some kind of desecration seemed a logical response to the first panels. I suppose that since I’ve seen enough C&H comics here to understand their humor helps too.