Music of the (Brief) Night [OT]

Cidu Bill on Aug 21st 2017

I’m surprised I haven’t seen any Eclipse Playlist.  I can’t think of anything other than the very obvious “Total Eclipse of the Heart” and “Sounds of Silence” (and then “Here Comes the Sun” when it’s over) — but of course my brain doesn’t really function this early.

Filed in Bill Bickel, eclipse, music | 26 responses so far

26 Responses to “Music of the (Brief) Night [OT]”

1. B.A. Aug 21st 2017 at 09:24 am 1

Moonshadow.

2. Cidu Bill Aug 21st 2017 at 09:31 am 2

3. 1958Fury Aug 21st 2017 at 09:52 am 3

At my work they gave everyone an eclipse bag: Eclipse viewing glasses, a can of Sunkist, a Moon Pie, some Eclipse gum, and a bag of Sun Chips.

4. Ian D Osmond Aug 21st 2017 at 10:14 am 4

King of Pain by the Police? “There’s a little black spot on the sun today”…

Blackstar by David Bowie?

5. Mark M Aug 21st 2017 at 11:08 am 5

@2 - definitely worth a chuckle. I just wish the artist had not capitalized the first letter in every word in the caption. It made me think CSIT is an acronym for something else, but it’s not unless I’m missing something.

6. Bob in Nashville Aug 21st 2017 at 11:17 am 6

“Eclipse” by Pink Floyd. “…and everything under the Sun is in tune
    but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon.” “There is no dark side of the Moon, really. As a matter of fact it’s all dark.”

7. Arthur Aug 21st 2017 at 12:24 pm 7

Re King of Pain: I filked that one for the transit of Mercury.

8. Pinny Aug 21st 2017 at 01:37 pm 8

“New Moon on Monday” by Duran Duran

9. James Pollock Aug 21st 2017 at 01:49 pm 9

The local classic rock station is playing all of “Dark Side of the Moon”. They’ve been running humorous “eclipse tips” for some time now. Example: “Eclipse tip: When you moon your coworkers to celebrate the eclipse, minimum standards of hygiene are required”. Another one was that, under no circumstances, should anyone request “Total Eclipse of the Heart”.

The state fair had a live performance by Taiko drummers… when the drumming is happening, it’s not safe to look at the sun, when the drumming starts, it’s safe.

10. Pinny Aug 21st 2017 at 02:01 pm 10

Re: my song choice in #8:
    Quick word of explanation about the new moon vis-a-vis the solar eclipse:
    A monthly “new moon” (as it appears in the paper and in almanacs) is when the moon — which grows (”waxes”) in the sky during the 1st half of a lunar month and shrinks (”wanes”) during the second half — disappears completely in the sky because it passes through the space between the earth and the sun, and all of the sun’s reflected light is on the far side of the moon. The reason we don’t see the moon going across the sun each month is because although the moon’s orbit passes between the earth and sun it is not usually at the same “height” in the sky as the sun — sometimes it is above the sun in the sky and sometimes it is below the sun in the sky. (We don’t see it passing above or below the sun because this happens during the day when sunlight in the atmosphere blocks out the heavens.) A solar eclipse is therefore a rare new moon, one where the moon passes the sun in the sky at exactly the same height in the sky as the sun.

11. Mr. Grumpy Aug 21st 2017 at 02:36 pm 11

Ain’t No Sunshine by Bill Withers?
    Why Does the Sun Really Shine by They Might Be Giants?

12. Cidu Bill Aug 21st 2017 at 02:53 pm 12

Mark M (5), I had the same problem with it.

13. Greybeard Aug 21st 2017 at 05:33 pm 13

Bill: Love the Cat Stevens cartoon, but .. is that supposed to be a moonshadow on the wall? Huh? Now it’s another CIDU, at least for me!

14. Cidu Bill Aug 21st 2017 at 07:09 pm 14

Greybeard, the shadow is mooning them.

15. Greybeard Aug 21st 2017 at 07:11 pm 15

Oy. *blush* I feel dum.

16. Mark in Boston Aug 21st 2017 at 08:25 pm 16

Modest Mussorgsky’s song cycle “Sunless” of course!

Software engineers will stay inside, using Eclipse to write their programs. www.eclipse.org

17. Mark in Boston Aug 21st 2017 at 08:58 pm 17

And the movie to watch: Darkness at Noon (1956)

18. Pinny Aug 22nd 2017 at 10:42 am 18

And, of course, on Sunday we could have listened to “The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow,” from the musical “Annie”.

19. Pinny Aug 22nd 2017 at 10:49 am 19

“Baby I Love Your Way” by Peter Frampton

The lyrics start with:
    Shadows grow so long before my eyes
    And they’re moving across the page
    Suddenly the day turns into night
    Far away from the city

20. James Pollock Aug 22nd 2017 at 11:08 am 20

The tone of the song is wrong, but some of the lyrics fit, taken out of context, for “Paint it Black”.

The song ends:
    “I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky
    I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black”

Of course, some lyrics do NOT fit:
    “Like a newborn baby, it just happens everyday” and
    “I could not foresee this thing happening to you”

So maybe that’s why nobody else brought it up…

21. Olivier Aug 22nd 2017 at 12:14 pm 21

And there’s Charles Trenet’s “Le soleil a rendez-vous avec la lune” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RShIJvrjD80
    Quoted in Tintin : le temple du soleil http://www.famille-gras.fr/_media/img/thumb/10066.jpg

22. Brian in STL Aug 22nd 2017 at 01:23 pm 22

A great complement to Total Eclipse of the Heart is the “literal video” parody:

23. Kilby Aug 22nd 2017 at 03:30 pm 23

@ MiB (16) - “Software engineers will stay inside…
    As a kid, the warnings about watching a partial eclipse that occurred on the east coast scared me so much that I hid in my room for a good bit of it, my parents had to coax me back outside. Just a year or two later there was a total lunar eclipse, and I was really puzzled that the period of totality lasted so long (hours), because the solar eclipse had been so fleeting.

24. narmitaj Aug 22nd 2017 at 08:15 pm 24

“Starless”, on the album Redby King Crimson… though it is not about an eclipse, it has some evocative lyrics. Confusingly, although its lyrics contain the phrase “starless and bible black” (borrowed from Dylan Thomas), the track called “Starless and Bible Black” on their earlier album Starless and Bible Black is an instrumental.

How about “The Other Side” by Public Service Broadcasting? Again not really about an eclipse, except that by being about Apollo 8, with all the words being actual NASA recordings from the pioneering lunar orbit mission, it concerns the first time actual people (as opposed to heavenly objects) were “eclipsed” by the moon from the point of view of observers on Earth…. https://genius.com/Public-service-broadcasting-the-other-side-lyrics

25. doug Aug 22nd 2017 at 10:10 pm 25

“black hole sun”

26. Joshua K. Aug 23rd 2017 at 08:50 pm 26

While not referring to this week’s eclipse, “You’re So Vain” should be included:

“You flew your Learjet to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun.”