Sunday Funnies - August 20, 2017

Cidu Bill on Aug 20th 2017

bizarro-rhino.PNG

nyer-first-beach.PNG

statue-check.PNG

rubes-knives.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bizarro, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Dave Coverly, Dave Whamond, Leigh Rubin, New Yorker, Reality Check, Rubes, Speed Bump, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “Sunday Funnies - August 20, 2017”

1. Ted from Ft. Laud Aug 20th 2017 at 12:15 am 1

Pretty good batch. I’d think that should be a moose in the bed in the first one, however. And for some reason, the New Yorker one really appealed to me.

2. Cidu Bill Aug 20th 2017 at 12:25 am 2

And if Ted’s comment is making anybody scratch their head…

3. Mona Aug 20th 2017 at 12:35 am 3

You all beat me to it. My first thought was “Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!”
    And on a side note, it wasn’t until I revisited the Rocky & Bullwinkle show as an adult that I realized that one line is “Fan mail from some flounder?”

4. Kilby Aug 20th 2017 at 02:14 am 4

I recently finished watching the 4 DVDs of the whole first season of Rocky & Bullwinkle with my kids. I’m sure that there were more than 4 different “hat” gags, but I can’t think of any other animals than that (except one where Bullwinkle pulled himself out).

My son liked the show much more than I had expected, even though he must have missed all the groaner puns. For me, it was amusing to see just how primitive the animation was (as well as the minor improvements that occurred during that first year). The opening sequence on the DVD is different from the reruns I remember watching as a kid (quite long: over two minutes, with breaks for at least two commercials), and is identical for every episode (economy of recycling).

5. mitch4 Aug 20th 2017 at 07:40 am 5

Thank you, Bill and Mona — I was indeed at a loss to understand Ted’s suggestion.

The Shanahan is quite charming. I guess part of what makes it nice is that she isn’t about to get mean, despite having learned something of an ironic/amused tone.

P.S. Does anybody recall the subject title that included discussion of a Harry Bliss panel for the New Yorker? I wanted to belatedly clear something up.

6. Kilby Aug 20th 2017 at 01:50 pm 6

@ mitch4 (currently 4, soon to be 5) - “Harry Bliss
    First I tried “harry bliss site:comicsidontunderstand.com” in Google, which led to this category link. I’m not sure which one you are looking for, but the one about the $240 sitter is here.

7. Kilby Aug 20th 2017 at 02:05 pm 7

P.S. On the other hand, if it’s a little more “belated” than just July, there’s also this one.

8. mitch4 Aug 20th 2017 at 02:53 pm 8

Thanks, Kilby! Wow, I underestimated how often he appeared here.

The one I’m thinking of did not show up from that category link; nor when I tried “New Yorker” on the idea that it might have gotten tagged that way but without Bliss. (Or maybe I’m not clicking-thru the right times.)

In any case that was what my unfinished business took off from. I remarked that bliss does not work exclusively for the New Yorker, and that some of his panels had a certain feel as though they were meant to accompany some other thing, like an article or column — the way Nick Galifiniakis was illustrating the Carolyn Hax advice column.

Someone replied that a nice thing about the Nick G. cartoons is that no matter if they serve as illustration for something else, they always succeed on standing on their own.

Someone else(?) — hey was this you Kilby? or Mark in boston — said, And so do the Bliss cartoons stand alone. …. And added, besides, the New Yorker has rarely or probably never had linkage between cartoon and written material … so it’s unlikely the Harry Bliss cartoons were ever meant as illustration to an article.

After all that much prep … all I wanted to add, as a bit of comeback: (1) well, I was talking about a kind of feel, the way he responds to contemporary mores, is like nick G’s relation to the Hax columns, but is not meant as a literal theory about Bliss. But further (2) Well of course the New Yorker doesn’t do that, … but since Bliss cartoons for many other outlets, that isn’t really determinative.

Sorry, everyone. I just woke up with a brain itch.

9. DemetriosX Aug 20th 2017 at 05:59 pm 9

There are definitely more hat gags. I’m sure there’s one with a lion, not just the tiger, and he also pulls Rocky out of the hat.

I’m not surprised Kilby’s son likes Rocky & Bullwinkle. The show works on a dozen different levels all at once. As you get older, for example, Boris Badenov goes from funny little man to the realization that Badenov = “bad enough” to realizing he’s a Russian spy to learning that there was a Russian Tsar named Boris Godunov. Most of the humor works like that on the show. And it’s so well written and acted that you don’t really notice the poor animation. Something like 4 fps and outsourced to a Mexican animation studio to save money.

In related news, in case anyone missed it, June Foray died a couple of weeks ago at the age of 99. The finest tribute to her work came many years ago when Chuck Jones said she wasn’t the female Mel Blanc. Mel was the male June Foray.

10. Treesong Aug 20th 2017 at 10:21 pm 10

Kilby@5: I think that besides the bear, tiger, rhino, and lion, the only other hat gag was the one where he pulled Rocky (not himself) out of the hat.

11. Kilby Aug 21st 2017 at 01:55 am 11

@ mitch4 (8) - Given the additional clue of “Hax”, I’m pretty sure you were looking for the “Shark” thread, which didn’t get either of the relevant tags, and the text contains only “Bliss” (without the “Harry”).

12. mitch4 Aug 21st 2017 at 07:31 am 12

Thanks, Kilby (11) — that was the one I meant. But I’m happy to say I already purged the feeling that I had any more to say about it!

13. Brian in STL Aug 22nd 2017 at 01:25 pm 13

I still use the line, “Fan mail from some flounder?” when people want to show me something on their computer. Alas, fewer get it these days.

14. Brian in STL Aug 22nd 2017 at 01:26 pm 14

I think the next bird in line is just daring the squirrel say something.

15. Mark in Boston Aug 22nd 2017 at 09:18 pm 15

Next time I get a phone call and it’s a robot speakiing, I’m going to say “This is Worker speaking, hello. Read me Dr. Memory.”