Cow

Cidu Bill on Aug 10th 2017

cow.GIF

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Far Side, Gary Larson, comic strips, comics, humor | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to “Cow”

1. Arthur Aug 10th 2017 at 12:12 am 1

I think the joke is that it would require someone really stupid
    to need further explanation of “this is a cow”.

On the other hand, I believe that in most breeds the cows have
    no horns, just the bulls. So some clarification might be
    worthwhile.

2. D McKeon Aug 10th 2017 at 12:37 am 2

Brown Swiss heifers come with horns,
    but they may be removed in their youth.
    (but Brown Swiss are not spotted.)

I’ll allow three teats under artistic license, but the
    lack of a tail is the real “question there in the back.”
    That lack would make milking easier, cleaner, or both.

3. Kilby Aug 10th 2017 at 07:02 am 3

I doubt that the student is going to question the name or the anatomical inaccuracies.
    I think he’s going to ask, “Does this species make and use tools?”

4. Daniel J. Drazen Aug 10th 2017 at 07:17 am 4

Welcome to Bonehead Biology.

5. Andréa Aug 10th 2017 at 07:59 am 5

Maybe this is a game of ‘Pin the Tail on the Cow’ . . . and he’s gonna ask for the rules. Or the tail.

6. tigalilee Aug 10th 2017 at 08:25 am 6

@ Daniel (4) or Bovine University!

7. padraig Aug 10th 2017 at 08:58 am 7

“What kind of tools do cows use?”

(For hard core Far Siders only)

8. padraig Aug 10th 2017 at 08:59 am 8

But, just to be a tiny less obscure: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2008/3/21/481029/-

9. billytheskink Aug 10th 2017 at 09:21 am 9

Cow Tools reference #3.

Larson printed a few of the letters he received about Cow Tools in The Prehistory Of The Far Side. It was like CIDU before CIDU.

10. James Pollock Aug 10th 2017 at 11:43 am 10

“I’ll allow three teats under artistic license”

It’s considered rude to point out breast cancer survivors who’ve undergone mastectomy.

And, finally, I’m going to respect Mr. Larson’s wishes, and never again bring up a certain specific cartoon. Thousands of brilliant, original, and hilarious cartoons, and all anyone talks about is the one they DIDN’T get…

11. Kilby Aug 10th 2017 at 11:57 am 11

The problem with “not getting” a Far Side panel was precisely that it wasn’t all that uncommon, and whenever it did happen (to me), it almost always meant that I had missed some esoteric (and often brilliant) detail in the drawing and/or caption. That’s what made “Cow tools” so frustrating: everybody assumed “Hey, I missed another one!“, and went digging for a brilliant answer that just wasn’t there. Larson’s percentage of true “duds” was so incredibly low that it just wasn’t natural to assume any one of his cartoons wasn’t funny.

12. Carl Fink Aug 10th 2017 at 03:35 pm 12

“However, this is a rare Amazon cow, who’s undergone some body modification to make it easier to draw a bow.” I read that as being about drawing a picture of a bow (the knot), because we were talking about cartooning. It was a rather fun misinterpretation for me.

13. Winter Wallaby Aug 10th 2017 at 03:55 pm 13

I don’t think the cow is clearly missing a tail or a teat, the picture can reasonably be interpreted as having a fully formed cow, some parts of which are obscured by other parts of the cow.

14. Mark in Boston Aug 10th 2017 at 08:15 pm 14

“This is the cow with the crumpled horn,
    That tossed the dog,
    That worried the cat,
    That killed the rat,
    That ate the malt,
    That lay in the house that Jack built.

15. Treesong Aug 11th 2017 at 01:09 am 15

tigalilee: Setting of Jane Smiley’s Moo.
    Mark in Boston: I know the verse, but at first I read the third line as ‘That wormed the cat’. Sorry, it’s past my bedtime.

16. Terrence Feenstra Aug 11th 2017 at 07:24 am 16

What do cows eat? Where do they live? Can you pet them? I would like a cow; I would hug it and squeeze it. (Note what might be the most perfectest use of a semicolon in the last sentence)

17. fleabane Aug 11th 2017 at 08:06 pm 17

“I think the joke is that it would require someone really stupid
    to need further explanation of “this is a cow”.”

I think of it more that cows are so simple so that is absurd to imagine a class in them and we have to wonder what the question could possibly be.

In other words, I don’t think it’s a mean “man, he’s dumb” joke so much as a gentle “how on earth can the situation possibly exist” joke.

Which is sort of the humor of “cow tools” (partly). Cows simply wouldn’t have tools. So to imagine they would is absurd.

18. Meryl A Aug 15th 2017 at 03:04 am 18

From the various places and events we go - if a breed of bovine has horns both cows and bulls will have horns - cows’ horns being smaller. If the breed does not have horns, than neither will.

At the same place we saw the sheep shearing there was a bovine - all the children about called it a bull, one of the people accompanying the animals explained the above and said that, no, it actually was a cow.