Well, bummer… but is there an actual punchline here?

Cidu Bill on Aug 9th 2017

buni170809.gif

Is it that he’s been waiting so long that he has to recharge his phone?

Filed in Bill Bickel, Buni, CIDU, Ryan Pagelow, comic strips, comics, humor | 17 responses so far

17 Responses to “Well, bummer… but is there an actual punchline here?”

1. r2t Aug 9th 2017 at 03:16 pm 1

the cord along with it getting dark suggests so. perhaps shes not as interested in him as he is her it seems.

2. Tom Falco Aug 9th 2017 at 03:33 pm 2

He keeps waiting for her reply, it still doesn’t come, he runs out of battery life, so he plugs the phone in and waits and waits. . .

3. James Pollock Aug 9th 2017 at 03:41 pm 3

She’s not that into him, yes. But… the expression on his face doesn’t change, no matter how long he waits.

4. Ian D Osmond Aug 9th 2017 at 03:42 pm 4

r2t — she’s exactly as interested in him as it seems — zero. Buni loves her, she is completely indifferent to him, so, well, he’s supposed to be a sympathetic nebbish, but he’s kind of a stalker…

5. Keera Aug 9th 2017 at 03:47 pm 5

What is proper text etiquette? Must you always reply? And do you have a limited envelope in which to reply in order to be seen to reply in a timely manner? Or can you casually stroll past your phone, notice someone sent you a hug, and keep strolling? If you realize you’re not sure if the emoticon “heart” means hug are you still required to respond? Is responding with “???” then appropriate? We need Emily Post on the case.

6. Minor Annoyance Aug 9th 2017 at 04:07 pm 6

Gag I’ve seen repeated in various forms: Dullish-looking guy standing on street corner, holding a small bouquet and checking his watch. During a thunderstorm.

“I’ve give her one more hour — Then I’m through with women!”

7. Kilby Aug 9th 2017 at 04:20 pm 7

@ M.A. (5) - Caspar Milquetoast did that once - except that he was allowing the hour to somebody who wanted to borrow $100 (which was a much more impressive amount of money back then).

8. James Pollock Aug 9th 2017 at 05:13 pm 8

“he’s kind of a stalker…”

Pretty low bar for “stalker”. He sent her one text, and then… stayed in his house.

9. DemetriosX Aug 9th 2017 at 05:52 pm 9

@ M.A. (5): Dammit, I had just finally gotten rid of “Fool in the Rain”. Oh well, could be worse I guess.

10. Ian D Osmond Aug 9th 2017 at 07:42 pm 10

James — I mean the character in general, over the years the comic has been going. He … gets creepy at times. That particular one, no, not so much. Staying outside her window for days? Little creepier.

11. Bob in Nashville Aug 10th 2017 at 07:36 pm 11

His phone went off with an incoming heart icon. He’s so happy about it that he just stands looking at it all day and basking in the joy of it even after it’s dark out and he needs to recharge his phone to keep looking at it.

The top right panel clearly shows the heart as an incoming message.

12. Bob in Nashville Aug 10th 2017 at 07:38 pm 12

Sorry. A closer looks reveals my folly. As Miss Emily used to say, “Never mind.”

13. James Pollock Aug 10th 2017 at 07:57 pm 13

“As Miss Emily used to say, ‘Never mind.’”

“It’s always something.”

14. Bob Aug 12th 2017 at 11:22 am 14

Would love to see an “Epic Rap Battle” between Emily Litella and Roseanne Roseannadanna.

15. Joseph K. Aug 14th 2017 at 07:44 pm 15

He’s getting rings under his eyes from no sleep (?).

16. Meryl A Aug 15th 2017 at 03:08 am 16

I don’t know about etiquette, but husband answers texts which don’t need a reply, and when they involve something like I am running late - it is annoying to have to stop and read “ok”,which only makes me later.

We abuse the use of texts - I no longer call him for dinner - he gets a text - especially in summer when if I yelled up to him, he would not hear through the closed office door and the ac - which is why the door is closed. They are great though to find each other in stores when I lose him for some time alone.

17. Cidu Bill Aug 15th 2017 at 03:16 am 17

I remember back in 2000, seeing my brother text his wife who was maybe 50 yards away in a park, asking her to come back to where the rest of us were sitting. Instead of just calling her over. I thought that was so bizarre at the time, and of course now it’s the norm.

Of course I also remember, ten years ago (could it only have been ten years ago?), seeing a woman sitting alone in a diner, reading on her Kindle. Not a book or a newspaper, but a Kindle. This was odd enough that I mentioned it to my wife when I got home.

(now, of course, if I’m eating alone, I’ll always be reading something on my phone’s Kindle app)

The world’s a funny place.