Sunday Funnies - August 6, 2017

Cidu Bill on Aug 6th 2017

bizarro-parking.jpg

lol-aug-6-crime-scene.PNG

primate-fs.GIF

cornered-ticklish.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bizarro, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Cornered, Far Side, Gary Larson, Mike Baldwin, New Yorker, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “Sunday Funnies - August 6, 2017”

1. Kilby Aug 6th 2017 at 04:17 am 1

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that Far Side panel before. There’s no date, so no way to say how old it is, but nevertheless, Larson’s humor is still fresh, umpteen years later.

P.S. The overlaid magnifying glass shows that it was collected online (rather than scanned from a book).

2. Edward Leiken Aug 6th 2017 at 04:45 am 2

I keep trying but I just don’t get the rhinoceros one

3. Carl Aug 6th 2017 at 05:00 am 3

Edward, it’s actually an original take on the idea that zoos are animal jail. The jailed rhino’s wife is visiting in a prison visiting room, with a glass partition separating the inmate from his loved one.

4. Cidu Bill Aug 6th 2017 at 05:03 am 4

Edward, it’s visiting day for the “imprisoned” rhino.

What’s odd about this Far Side, I think, is that the main action isn’t taking place in the foreground. That wasn’t really the way Larson composed his panels, was it? This is more a Chas Addams structure, I think.

5. James Pollock Aug 6th 2017 at 08:51 am 5

“I keep trying but I just don’t get the rhinoceros one”

Everyone knows black rhinos get hard time, while white lions get probation.

6. Mitch4 Aug 6th 2017 at 09:56 am 6

I really chuckled out loud at the Bizarro. Maybe because I’ve been tempted to use this pun on real life..

BTW, what actually are primates of the church?

7. Carl Aug 6th 2017 at 10:26 am 7

Primate comes from Latin Prime, “first”. Primates are archbishops.

8. padraig Aug 6th 2017 at 10:30 am 8

“Will you validate my parking?”
    “Not as long as you insist on driving a Humvee in the city.”

9. Brian in STL Aug 6th 2017 at 06:08 pm 9

I recently read an SF story. It had a near-future setting, where many animal species have been “uplifted” and can now talk and vote and such. Of course that’s a bit a problem for predators when many of your former prey now are off-limits (and out-vote you).

Anyway, in that it mentioned that while most firefighters are now elephants, some crews are rhinos due to their traditional habit of stamping out fires in the wild. Problem is, that’s a myth most promulgated by the movie “The Gods Must Be Crazy”.

10. Anna Aug 6th 2017 at 11:56 pm 10

Had the Bizarro guy watched this?

11. James Pollock Aug 7th 2017 at 02:39 am 11

“I recently read an SF story.”
    Sounds more like Zootopia, the recent Disney movie.

Writer David Brin won Hugo/Nebula (I forget which, and it might have been both) awards with 2 of his first 3 “Uplift” novels “Startide Rising” and “The Uplift War”. But those are not the ones you’re talking about.

12. Kilby Aug 7th 2017 at 04:55 am 12

Thanks to Brian @9 for reminding me of another movie I need to get on DVD.

13. Meryl A Aug 8th 2017 at 02:47 am 13

Edward - husband had the same problem - when I decided it was so funny that I had to show it to him.

14. Brian in STL Aug 8th 2017 at 01:22 pm 14

“Sounds more like Zootopia, the recent Disney movie.”
    Well, no. Haven’t seen it. Do the talking animals live among humans?

“[Uplift books] But those are not the ones you’re talking about.”
    No. Specifically it was “Lion Country”, part of the Baen Free Library.

I got it as part of one of the Free Stories anthologies.

I chose an iPad Mini for an anniversary gift from Megacorp, and I have been learning various reading apps.