Saturday Morning Barney & Clyde and Arlo

Cidu Bill on Aug 5th 2017

aug06-arlo-b-and-c.GIF

Filed in Arlo Award, Barney & Clyde, Bill Bickel, comic strips, comics, humor | 25 responses so far

25 Responses to “Saturday Morning Barney & Clyde and Arlo”

1. Mona Aug 5th 2017 at 12:33 am 1

How can there not be Arlo comments when you have a product named “Pocket Hose”?

2. Ted from Ft. Laud Aug 5th 2017 at 12:59 am 2

Arlo - yes. Funny - not that I noticed…

3. Cidu Bill Aug 5th 2017 at 02:01 am 3

And by the way… what is this hose doing that every other hose on Earth does? Did Barney just arrive from The World Without Hoses?

“This is so neat. You flip the switch, and this bulb starts emitting light!”

4. Ted from Ft. Laud Aug 5th 2017 at 02:16 am 4

As Mona mentioned, it’s a “pocket hose” - an “as seen on TV spectacular” that expands when you run water through it and that shrinks when empty. As the container says, it’s “the hose that grows”…

5. Minor Annoyance Aug 5th 2017 at 02:20 am 5

This was one of those CALL NOW! products that was also in drugstores and such — maybe still is. It’s designed to pull itself into a tiny, genuinely pocket-sized (almost) coil when not in use. A real hose, you have to coil it up by hand.

6. Powers Aug 5th 2017 at 08:19 am 6

It doesn’t coil itself, MA, but it is a lot easier to handle than a full-sized hose.

Bill, these pocket hoses are made of an elastic material, so when you turn on the water, the water pressure forces it to expand. The fabric outer shell constrains how far it expands. When you drain the water out, it shrinks back. They really are smaller and lighter than a regular hose when not under pressure.

7. Mark Jackson Aug 5th 2017 at 08:26 am 7

We participate in a community garden that uses two of these. When on watering duty I have to keep reminding myself not to refer to the two states of the hose as “flaccid” and “tumescent.”

8. Usual John Aug 5th 2017 at 10:14 am 8

I got one of these for my wife to use in watering the lawn (I’m OK with the lawn the brown in the summer), and it works great. It’s much lighter and easier to use than a regular hose. So far she has not commented on any anatomical resemblance.

9. Cidu Bill Aug 5th 2017 at 12:53 pm 9

Oh, “pocket hose ” is an actual, specific thing? I thought it was some Arlo-y reference, and let’s leave it at that.

This still doesn’t explain Barney treating it like Cold Fusion, though…

10. chakolate Aug 5th 2017 at 03:13 pm 10

How old is the kid, anyway? I think she’s in junior high, right? She’s far from stupid, and almost certainly knows all about flaccidity and tumescence.

11. Ted from Ft. Laud Aug 5th 2017 at 03:41 pm 11

She’s either precocious or naive as the joke in the strip requires. (To the extent that there is a joke…)

12. Mona Aug 5th 2017 at 05:26 pm 12

When it gets turned on it grows.
    When it has finished the job, it gets smaller.
    “Giggle giggle”

“This still doesn’t warrant Barney treating it like Cold Fusion”
    I have never seen one in person, only the ads on TV and YouTube.
    It looks great to me and I can see why Barney would be excited about it.
    Instead of a bulky awkward heavy 50 foot hose to deal with you have a convenient small thing that becomes full size when filled with water and then gets small and coils itself up when you are done.
    Sounds good in theory but I have read reviews that say it does not perform as promised, or if it does, it does not last long.

13. Cidu Bill Aug 5th 2017 at 05:33 pm 13

Ted (11), I think of this as the Gracie Bermudez Syndrome, alternating between “genius” and “I think maybe something’s wrong with that child.”

Though I can’t recall the specifics (and it won’t come up in Search), I’m pretty sure Cynthia’s first appearance here involved some historical reference.

14. larK Aug 5th 2017 at 06:58 pm 14

15. Mark in Boston Aug 5th 2017 at 08:22 pm 15

“Flaccid” and “tumescent” are not dirty words.

Nor is “intercourse”, as in “Scrooge had no further intercourse with spirits.”

Nor is “frigate”, as in “There is no frigate like a book.”

16. James Pollock Aug 5th 2017 at 08:25 pm 16

“Is Marlo Thomas ‘historical’?”

Well, certainly not contemporary.
    And you know who she is, so…

17. Cidu Bill Aug 5th 2017 at 08:55 pm 17

I stand corrected: the first B&C strip to show up here was a lot earlier than I’d thought.

18. larK Aug 5th 2017 at 08:57 pm 18

Wait, am I historical?

19. larK Aug 5th 2017 at 08:59 pm 19

Mark in Beantown: What’s a four letter word for ‘intercourse’ that ends in ‘k’?

20. larK Aug 5th 2017 at 09:01 pm 20

CIDU Bill: so you probably were thinking of this one, which is what I thought of when reading your comment, because I remember looking up and reading about Leopold and Loeb:

21. Cidu Bill Aug 5th 2017 at 09:03 pm 21

larK, you are absolutely correct!

I think that’s the one I remember because it was shortly after that that *I* began readin the strip.

22. Terrence Feenstra Aug 6th 2017 at 07:32 am 22

All of my hoses are “showers,” not “growers.” They stiffen and become more heavy, but for all practical purposes they do not change in girth or length.

23. Terrence Feenstra Aug 6th 2017 at 07:32 am 23

Lark - the four letter word is “Talk.”

24. Brian in STL Aug 6th 2017 at 06:17 pm 24

“All of my hoses are “showers,” not “growers.””

I prefer not to take showers with the hose. I think the neighbors would agree. It’s bad enough that I grow tomatoes in the front yard. BTW, great year for ‘maters locally.

25. Meryl A Aug 8th 2017 at 02:52 am 25

I found these hoses to be more trouble than they are worth. Robert bought one for the RV to take up less space in the small side storage compartment - but the it was so wobbly that it would spread out all over the place and a regular hose was easier to store, while larger. This was for non-drinking water.