What’s the Matter?

Cidu Bill on Aug 4th 2017

aug03.GIF

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Mark Parisi, Off the Mark, comic strips, comics, humor | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to “What’s the Matter?”

1. Treesong Aug 4th 2017 at 12:04 am 1

What’s the nature of the matter on the microscope slide?

2. Arthur Aug 4th 2017 at 12:23 am 2

I did some searches on Wendy Liebman, but it didn’t help me.

3. Cidu Bill Aug 4th 2017 at 12:28 am 3

I’m guessing Wendy Liebman gave him the joke.

4. fleabane Aug 4th 2017 at 12:57 am 4

Can he give it back?

5. fleabane Aug 4th 2017 at 12:57 am 5

Treesong has it, BTW.

6. Arthur Aug 4th 2017 at 01:18 am 6

I’m guessing Wendy Liebman gave him the joke.

Well, many of the hits I found for her name had to do with other
    people possibly stealing her jokes. So, it could be a meta-joke.

Treesong has it, BTW.

Thank you. I took that first post to be a question to help
    figure out what the joke was, not an explanation.

7. Mitch4 Aug 4th 2017 at 01:32 am 7

“What is mind? - - No matter.”
    “What is matter? - - Never mind.”

8. B.A. Aug 4th 2017 at 01:38 am 8

If both Treesong and Bill are correct, that means it took two people to come up with that caption.

Imagine if they’d had THREE.

9. furrykef Aug 4th 2017 at 03:05 am 9

I found fleabane @4’s comment funnier than the cartoon.

10. Kilby Aug 4th 2017 at 04:41 am 10

I agree with furrykef @ 9 (and fleabane @4 too, of course).

11. Olpera Aug 4th 2017 at 08:05 am 11

When I originally read this I took it for an obvious word pun:
    -”What’s the matter (with what you are looking at)(, giving you that weird face)?”
    Which coincidentially means:
    -”What’s the matter (you are looking at)?”
    What, me weird?

12. Tom A Falco Aug 4th 2017 at 09:10 am 12

Matter - physical substance in general, as distinct from mind and spirit; (in physics) that which occupies space and possesses rest mass, especially as distinct from energy.

They are scientists. Get it?

13. Christine Aug 4th 2017 at 09:10 am 13

He’s examining a piece of something (i.e. matter) under the microscope. In a world where optical microscopes are used to make identifications of things that look similar (i.e. comic science), a reasonable question to ask to find out the results of the analysis would be “what’s the matter?”

14. larK Aug 4th 2017 at 09:15 am 14

OK Kilby, now it’s second order — why bother even posting that I agree with a poster praising someone’s comment when you’ve already said everything I could in agreement?

;-)

15. John Small Berries Aug 4th 2017 at 10:23 am 15

I’m wondering if it’s really that simple - because there seems to be something the matter with the guy at the microscope.

Note that his nose is on the far side of the microscope tube - which means that he can’t be looking through it with the eye that’s on the far side of his nose. And the eye that’s on the near side of his nose is closed. If anything, he appears to be attempting to look through the microscope with his forehead.

In which case, his lab partner’s question is a good one - but then there doesn’t appear to be an actual joke (or even a play on words).

16. James Pollock Aug 4th 2017 at 12:07 pm 16

Perhaps the text is mis-typed, a transliteration like the way closed captioning sometimes misses on what was actually said.

What she was actually saying was the name of the school they work for… Wossamotta U.

17. Kilby Aug 4th 2017 at 08:51 pm 17

@ larK (12) - Because second order effects are occasionally very impressive.

18. Brian in STL Aug 6th 2017 at 06:31 pm 18

Wendy Liebman specializes in the “not yet complete” jokes. As in, it seems like she’s saying one thing, but after a pause it’s something else.

“My husband asked me to dress up as a nurse tonight to fulfill his fantasy — that we have health insurance.”

“The only way to have safe sex is to abstain — from drinking.”

Not really relevant to this comic, so she might well have just given him the idea.