Friday Afternoon CIDU/Arlo

Cidu Bill on Aug 4th 2017

Okay, so… Andréa sent this to me for the Arlo file — but while I trust her judgment, I have no idea what the joke is (despite knowing what “manspreading” is), and therefore, obviously, I also don’t see the Arloicity.

onthefasttrack.GIF

Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Bill Holbrook, CIDU, On the Fast Track, comic strips, comics, humor | 11 responses so far

11 Responses to “Friday Afternoon CIDU/Arlo”

1. PeterW Aug 4th 2017 at 12:13 pm 1

Manspreading refers to the way some men sprawl out to take up as much room as possible, especially in places where space is at a premium like public transit. It’s partly about sitting with knees wide apart, which may be where the Arlo comes in (though I don’t think it’s all that censor-evading), but it can also be stretching arms out across multiple seats.

2. John Small Berries Aug 4th 2017 at 12:29 pm 2

If CIDU Bill were a woman, this would have been an excellent time to make a joke about mansplaining manspreading.

3. Andréa Aug 4th 2017 at 12:34 pm 3

I could’ve womansplained it, I suppose . . .

4. Andréa Aug 4th 2017 at 12:37 pm 4

. . . and did I mention that quite often, ‘manspreaders’ were going commando? I think that’s what many people found so obnoxious, especially in warm weather (read: shorts weather).

5. James Pollock Aug 4th 2017 at 01:28 pm 5

“Hey, how’s it hanging?”

6. Scott Aug 4th 2017 at 03:03 pm 6

And note how the manspreading headstone is casting a shadow on the headstone in front.

7. Jason Aug 4th 2017 at 03:29 pm 7

Manspreading usually happens in the horizontal direction. I wouldn’t consider looming over someone, like the gravestone is doing to be manspreading.

8. Powers Aug 5th 2017 at 08:22 am 8

Manspreading is usually horizontal, but any time a man takes up more than his fair share of space it could reasonably be called “manspreading”.

The Arlo, I assume, is because the tombstone looks phallic, but I don’t think that was Bill Holbrook’s intent.

9. Dr. Shrinker Aug 5th 2017 at 12:58 pm 9

Yes, this would have worked better if the tombstone was exceedingly WIDE, not tall, crowding the stones on either side of it. It still wouldn’t have been particularly funny, but it would have at least not required so much effort to figure out what the joke meant.

10. Andréa Aug 5th 2017 at 02:51 pm 10

Personally, I think the semi-tumescent gravestone was part of the . . . joke.

11. Bob in Nashville Aug 5th 2017 at 07:50 pm 11

Manspreading is usually horizontal when the man is vertical. But in this case the man is horizontal so it just stands to reason the manspreading would be vertical.