Cidu Bill on Aug 3rd 2017

Filed in Bill Bickel, Kiss Me Kate, YouTube | 24 responses so far

24 Responses to “Reposting this for W. W., who objected to my timing when I posted it last month: hot enough for you now? (and also dedicated to James)”

1. Bookworm Jul 20th 2017 at 02:51 pm 1

I absolutely love this clip. I play it every time you post it, and for days afterward. Here is the Dallas area, it’s definitely Too Darn Hot!

2. Winter Wallaby Jul 20th 2017 at 04:34 pm 2

I live in the Seattle area, so every year when Bill posts this I have the same reaction: “What’s he talking about? [Checks U.S. weather map.] Oh, right.”

3. BBBB Jul 20th 2017 at 09:33 pm 3

Great, great musical!

4. Bob in Nashville Jul 21st 2017 at 09:23 pm 4

I have to wonder about those guys’ values. If it’s too darn hot to pitch some woo tonight with my baby, then it’s surely too darn hot to dance around and carry on like all that.

5. Cidu Bill Jul 21st 2017 at 11:28 pm 5

To be fair, though, most of the dancing is done in spurts, and everybody’s looking at the main dancer as if he’s nuts.

6. James Pollock Aug 3rd 2017 at 04:55 pm 6

Yesterday wet a local record for the date, and not by a trace… it was 7 degrees (F) hotter yesterday than any other August 2 measured at the airport. Today is hotter.

7. Ted from Ft. Laud Aug 3rd 2017 at 06:30 pm 7

James Pollock - just heard from my sister (in Portland) that “fortunately, the haze from the wildfire smoke has kept it cooler than predicted”…

8. Mona Aug 3rd 2017 at 06:33 pm 8

I live within 25 miles of Seattle, so don’t know if it is considered “in the Seattle area” like Winter Wallaby, and for me, it is too darn hot today. I think it is worse because of the smoke from all of the wildfires in Canada and Washington.

9. Mona Aug 3rd 2017 at 06:48 pm 9

Since Ted pointed out that the smoke “has kept it cooler than predicted” I should clarify that it seems very moist and muggy, like a sauna, which I attributed to the haze. Maybe not.

10. James Pollock Aug 4th 2017 at 02:15 am 10

Today’s high was a new high for this date, and one of the ten hottest days ever recorded at the Portland airport. Not that anyone cares, I just wanted to whine about it, and now I’ve done that.

The thing about the NW is that we generally get moderate weather… not so cold in the winter (we usually get snow that actually sticks to the ground once per year), and we stay cooler in the summertime. Our poor delicate constitutions just can’t handled the extremes. Sorry, whining again.

My question is, what’s a certain political figure whose name AND title are moderation triggers going to do about it?

11. B.A. Aug 4th 2017 at 03:04 am 11

James, I’d go with “do his best to make matters worse.”

12. James Pollock Aug 4th 2017 at 03:32 am 12

“I’d go with “’o his best to make matters worse.’”

Yet accomplish nothing, and then claim to be the best EVER at dealing with it?

13. Ted from Ft. Laud Aug 4th 2017 at 04:04 am 13

Our actual temps down here never reach the extremes that they have reached other places (100°F is the max ever recorded - supposedly achieved twice, once in 1944 and once in 1971 - though some doubts have been raised as to whether either of those was actual, due to where they were measured), and during the hottest months, the peaks tend to be in the range of the high 80s to the mid 90s . However, our humidity tends to be quite high, so the heat index is worrisome. Today (Thursday) was actually a hot day for us, with the max temp of around 93°. The humidity was around 70% though (and has been for weeks) so the heat index was somewhere around 116° at some point this afternoon. This turns out to be somewhere between very unpleasant and dangerous, so I (and I would assume everyone else who wasn’t actually in the water) took advantage of the wonders of air conditioning… (So, more Turkish bath than sauna?)

(We generally can take the heat - within limits - but we really are pretty dependent on AC. We’re not so hardy with the cold - on those infrequent occasions when the temps drop into low 50s, they open the shelters…)

14. Olivier Aug 4th 2017 at 04:11 am 14

Here, in England, it’s English weather at its best.

15. Kilby Aug 4th 2017 at 04:50 am 15

@ Ted (13) - It took me a little while to figure out which “down here” you meant. :-) With all that water on either side of the peninsula, it’s not surprising that you never get to scorching temperatures (like in Death Valley).

16. Ted from Ft. Laud Aug 4th 2017 at 04:53 am 16

That is the case - however, all that water is also partially responsible for the humidity. (We also have a lot of inland water and wetlands that are responsible for the rest.)

17. Mona Aug 4th 2017 at 09:22 am 17

Adding to what James said about the NW……our homes do NOT have air conditioners.

18. mitch4 Aug 4th 2017 at 09:24 am 18

Unseasonably cool today in Chicago!

19. tigalilee Aug 4th 2017 at 09:28 am 19

When you posted it the first time it was perfect timing. Now things have cooled off quite a bit in the DC area. Of course by “cooled off” I mean an expected high around 88 to 90 degrees with humidity less than 90% today. Tomorrow’s forecast is even cooler!

20. Winter Wallaby Aug 4th 2017 at 09:52 am 20

It is indeed hot enough for me now.

21. Brian in STL Aug 6th 2017 at 06:32 pm 21

Mid-to-late July was miserably hot here, but lately it’s been below average.

22. Meryl A Aug 9th 2017 at 01:15 am 22

I actually got in trouble as child when this was on TV. I sang the song afterwards and when is a small child in the 1950s or 60s saying “darn” when not referring to socks gets one in trouble. When I told my mother that I heard it sung on TV she told me that they never say “that” on TV.

23. Meryl A Aug 16th 2017 at 01:24 am 23

We went to the Goshenhoppen Festival in Pennsylvania last Friday. One of the major topics of conversation among the demonstrators and public (it is mostly local event, they are always shocked that anyone from NY has heard of, let alone makes a day trip to it, so demonstrators and public know each other to a large extent) was that it was so nice this year (despite the rain expected for Saturday) - last year it was 107F at the event.

24. Mona Aug 16th 2017 at 01:39 am 24

Meryl, I got in trouble at a friend’s house as a child in the early 60s when I exclaimed “Jeepers!”. The Mom was very upset with me. I didn’t understand why, I did not know it was a bad word. Friend explained that it was “Jeepers Creepers” which was the same as saying “Jesus Christ” (as a swear word).
    And, yes, I am familiar with the song.