Monday Morning Oy

Cidu Bill on Jul 11th 2017

Mona sent me this last July 13, suggesting I queue it up for July 11, 2017.  Which I did.

cidu-tas-7111.PNG

Filed in 7-Eleven, Argyle Sweater, Bill Bickel, Scott Hilburn, comic strips, comics, humor, oy | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to “Monday Morning Oy”

1. Powers Jul 11th 2017 at 10:12 am 1

Don’t you mean the lightbulb went *on*?

But really, the question is whether Mona gets it now or not.

2. Mona Jul 11th 2017 at 10:49 am 2

If I remember correctly (and I may not), when I sent it in I forgot to tag it. To me it was LOL, to Bill a CIDU. Of course I forgot I sent it. It was a fun surprise today.

3. VoodooChicken Jul 11th 2017 at 11:19 am 3

It is kind of awkwardly worded, wouldn’t “free” imply no purchase necessary?

4. Mona Jul 11th 2017 at 11:40 am 4

“wouldn’t “free” imply no purchase necessary?”
    No, not slwys. Sometimes you get a free soda if you purchase a burger, sometimes it is “buy one get one free”, sometimes a coupon will get you a free sandwich of equal or lesser value with purchase if a sandwich and a soda, etc.

5. Mona Jul 11th 2017 at 11:43 am 5

Sorry about all the typos. Tiny keyboard on bumpy highway (passenger of course). Why does autocorrect only change words when you do not want it to?

6. mitch4 Jul 11th 2017 at 12:18 pm 6

Cute one, thanks Mona and Bill.
    It seems the annual tradition continues today.

Amazon is doing “Prime Day” with discounts. Of course it is named for their Prime service, but noting that 7 and 11 are prime numbers doesn’t quite explain putting it today.

7. Danny Boy (London Derrière) Jul 11th 2017 at 12:33 pm 7

And it must be that last year’s calendar is responsible for calling it the Monday Oy.

8. Boise Ed Jul 11th 2017 at 03:28 pm 8

I assumed that she wanted it run today because, in one common notation, the date is 7-11 — just like the store name. In any case, I thought it a fun pun.

9. BBBB Jul 11th 2017 at 03:44 pm 9

I’ll probably figure it out as soon as I send this, but just in case I don’t, could someone please explain the joke?

10. Mona Jul 11th 2017 at 04:05 pm 10

On 7/11 each year, participating 7-11 stores will give you a free Slurpee drink, no purchase necessary. One of the birds thought that perches were necessary.

11. Mona Jul 11th 2017 at 04:07 pm 11

To be clear, a play on words: perches (what the bird is sitting on) and purchase (to buy something ).

12. James Pollock Jul 11th 2017 at 10:28 pm 12

Having been thus reminded, I decided to swing by the local store. The line started in front of the machine in the back corner of the store, all the way along the side wall, along of the front of the store to the door, and about a half-dozen people outside the store. I chose not to stay.

On the other hand, the sign on the front window says that the promotion DOES NOT last all day… it runs for only 8 hours, and has thus ended at the local store (and elsewhere, of course, if the time restriction is chain-wide.)

13. Kilby Jul 12th 2017 at 04:44 am 13

@ Mona (11) - I remember an extended sequence in “Pogo” in which a character named “Roogy Batoon” (or thereabouts) was reputed to have “made the Louisiana Purchase” (including “all of North and South Dakota, too”). It turned out that he was a promoter, and his proteges were three singing fish (”perches”) in a bucket (subsequently in a frying pan).

14. BBBB Jul 12th 2017 at 07:21 am 14

Mona @ 10 & 11: Thanks. Got it the first time. Only thing I buy at 7-11 is gas.

15. Powers Jul 12th 2017 at 08:39 am 15

Oi. I swear my comment @1 made more sense before someone edited the post.

16. Mona Jul 12th 2017 at 10:41 am 16

Thanks Kilby, funny!
    We were in town today but did not go near the 7-11. It is a couple of blocks away from the college. Imagine that line!

17. Mona Jul 12th 2017 at 10:43 am 17

Sorry, I meant we were in town yesterday. Time for morning tea, maybe it will help get my brain working.

18. Meryl A Jul 18th 2017 at 02:33 am 18

At various dates in April or (March or May) Carvel, Dairy Queen. and Ben & Jerrys each have a get a cone free day. (meaning each one is a on a different date)