Saturday Funnies - 1pm Edition

Cidu Bill on Jul 8th 2017

speedbump-venus.gif

lio161128.gif

lion.PNG

loose-nests.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Dave Blazek, Dave Coverly, Lio, Loose Parts, Mark Tatulli, New Yorker, Speed Bump, Venus de Milo, comics, comics strips, humor, lol | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to “Saturday Funnies - 1pm Edition”

1. mitch4 Jul 8th 2017 at 01:11 pm 1

I recently bought a micro-SD card for a cellphone; it was packaged with an “adapter” you could mount it on to make it like a standard SD card — which I already thought of as “those little ones”. Though mailed to me, it came in a brutal sealed plastic package that you more or less have to cut open with scissors, endangering the electronics. Wait, I got caught on a tangent. Once the plastic was off, the cards were tucked into little pockets of the cardboard display backing. And it felt a little like a matryoshka doll.

2. Cidu Bill Jul 8th 2017 at 01:14 pm 2

Amazon?

3. larK Jul 8th 2017 at 01:26 pm 3

Euripides?

4. Kilby Jul 8th 2017 at 01:31 pm 4

@ mitch4 (1) - (back to a lowecase “m”, I see) - After my most recent phone upgrade, I needed to get an even smaller SIM card than the one before. The German Telekom offered me (on the spot in the service center, no wait required) a “three-in-one” chip: basically a chip within a ring within a rectangle (the original SIM size). I saved the “ring”, so that I can flip back to the previous iPhone when necessary.

5. mitch4 Jul 8th 2017 at 01:40 pm 5

Euripides? .. Eumenides!

But not Amazon, it was a retailer called Micro-Center that I usually visit in person but wouldn’t have had the chance at that time.

6. Scott Jul 8th 2017 at 01:47 pm 6

The Lio one is not far from reality. In Cairo, Egypt, things are so crowded that people live in cemeteries, and when you drive past them you will see lots of satellite dishes sprouting from among the mausoleums.

7. larK Jul 8th 2017 at 02:01 pm 7

Mitch — high five!

8. Boise Ed Jul 8th 2017 at 07:00 pm 8

larK [3]: Was it Chico Marx who said “Euripides, you pay for ‘em”?

9. larK Jul 8th 2017 at 07:07 pm 9

Well, I know it wasn’t Harpo… :-)

I first saw that joke performed as a sketch in David Frost’s attempt to bring That Was The Week That Was to the US in the 80s. Full costume, props — and two lines :-)

10. Kilby Jul 8th 2017 at 08:07 pm 10

@ larK (9) - There was a single TW^3 special that aired on 21 April 1985, but long before that, Frost hosted the program on NBC for two years in the mid-60’s.

11. larK Jul 8th 2017 at 08:15 pm 11

OK, David Frost’s attempt to bring back TW3 to the US in the 80s :-)

Anyway, it was that special I was referring to, where the sketch was presented with the dialog as mitch4 has it.

12. Powers Jul 9th 2017 at 09:29 am 12

What’s the joke in Lio? Is there a reason why people visiting a cemetery wouldn’t want wi-fi?

13. James Pollock Jul 9th 2017 at 01:23 pm 13

“Is there a reason why people visiting a cemetery wouldn’t want wi-fi?”

No, but the tenants are all offline.

14. Cidu Bill Jul 9th 2017 at 01:53 pm 14

The Euripides line certainly pre-dated the 80s, because I know I’d heard it before the first time I read Euripides, somewhere around 1970.

15. Meryl A Jul 11th 2017 at 02:43 am 15

Mitch4 - Ah Microcenter. We were there today - good ladies room, inexpensive flash drives and SD cards.

We have been running through cell phones lately. My Blackberry lost the Internet unless wifi was used and I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the world of Android - amazing how much better and easier my old phone and Lotus organizer software was (Okay I am doing everything twice so I can keep using Organizer on my computer.) I am currently in the middle of cutting and pasting info from over 400 contacts from Organizer to google contacts. Husband managed to find an Android almost small enough to fit my pocket, well it was until the added cases.

On a trip last week the GPS in his phone started to whisper very low. He lost all the sounds although one could still make calls and hear each other. So today we went in and bought the micro SD for his new phone. Ouch - and our phones are the kind one has trouble finding cases and such for - not top of the line common phones.

16. Meryl A Jul 11th 2017 at 02:52 am 16

Kilby - husband had to pop out the smallest of the 3 sim card pieces for his new phone, as opposed to the medium size one for his last phone. When he started explaining to me about the 3 sizes and punching each one out, I was sure he was going to tell me as he said that his was the medium size one, that we had to put it back into the larger size.

17. James Pollock Jul 11th 2017 at 03:27 am 17

” I am currently in the middle of cutting and pasting info from over 400 contacts from Organizer to google contacts.”

I would suggest importing the Organizer data into Outlook, and then from there to the cloud. It will probably still require some touch-up, but it should be faster, even if you have to go from Organizer into Outlook 2000 to a more modern Outlook to Google.

If, for some reason, you don’t have multiple copies of various versions of Outlook lying around, it may also be possible to do this trick through LibreOffice or one of the other OpenOffice forks.

18. Meryl A Jul 18th 2017 at 03:11 am 18

James Pollock -

Thank you. Husband spent some days trying to figure this out and this seems to be it.

He did manage to figure out how to take the .txt. file of the calendar from Organizer and change it to the correctly delineated version to import into google calendar, but when we went away last week I realized that the “anniversary” section of Organizer had not been sent (and apparently cannot be sent) and I did not have our RV park info in it. Luckily I had brought my old Palm Centro as it has a todos that I like (and syncs with Organizer) so I use it while traveling to have the info to sync back into Organizer. In this case I had also brought my recently deceased Blackberry as I have photos in it of items I own so I don’t buy duplicates. (I collect a set of now discontinued bear figurines, but often they show up at flea markets and I add ones I like that I am missing, as well as I have a Teddy Bear Christmas Village I put together and before I took photos of what I already had, I ended up with several sets of “twins”.) We had not had a chance to transfer the photos to the new phone, so I shoved the Blackberry in my rear pocket when we went where I might find something (all walking, so chance of sitting on it and breaking it). All photos transferred now.