Okay, it’s 1am, the kids are asleep… what WAS Arlo’s Arlo word?

Cidu Bill on Jul 8th 2017

bleep.PNG
(But please use asterisks if and where necessary — not because it will make the responses any less offensive, because that might not be an option, but because I’ll hopefully be asleep when this goes live and I won’t be able to rescue any responses from Limbo)

Filed in Arlo Page, Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor | 21 responses so far

21 Responses to “Okay, it’s 1am, the kids are asleep… what WAS Arlo’s Arlo word?”

1. Mona Jul 8th 2017 at 01:09 am 1

It’s been a loooong time since I played Scrabble (assuming that’s what they are playing). I imagine there are many possibilities that would get 53 points. You’d also have to take into consideration bonus squares. I’m not even going to try.

2. larK Jul 8th 2017 at 01:10 am 2

Huh, you’d think someone would have published a dictionary or “rainbow table” with the nominal values of all words calculated, so you could lookup all words that are worth 53 points…

3. Cidu Bill Jul 8th 2017 at 01:25 am 3

Yes, but there must be a lot fewer 53-point words that would get bleeped.

4. Ted from Ft. Laud Jul 8th 2017 at 01:30 am 4

I don’t believe there is such a word. 53 is odd and not divisible by 3, so no double or triple word scores. It’s too small to allow for getting the 7 letter bonus (50 points). Given that, you could get at most 2 double or triple letter bonuses. And I don’t see any way to get any bleep-worthy word I can think of anywhere near that score without hitting or exceeding 7 letters, though I’d be interested to be proven wrong. I’m thinking that JJ may have intentionally picked that value to get people to try to (unsuccessfully) guess.

5. Drodro Jul 8th 2017 at 01:42 am 5

If you allow points from a word made in the orthogonal direction, then the possibilities are endless.

6. Arthur Jul 8th 2017 at 01:44 am 6

I’m no expert in Scrabble or profanity. But a high-scoring
    bleepable word would be “jazz” with an “i” instead of the “a”.
    There’s only one “z”, but you could consider the other to be a
    blank. If you could get triple on the ‘z’ and double on the
    ‘j’, that’s close. Turn it into a verb with “ing” and maybe you
    get to 53. (No, you don’t get the 50-point bonus for a 7-letter
    word because one of those letters is already on the board.)

7. Mona Jul 8th 2017 at 01:45 am 7

“I don’t see any way to get any bleep-worthy word I can think of anywhere near that score without hitting or exceeding 7 letters, though I’d be interested to be proven wrong.”
    You could use all seven of your letters if you were lucky enough to have, let’s see (I don’t want to go into moderation)…another name for “lollipops”. Or people who use straws to drink. Add that word onto a word already on the board, say, another word for “rooster”. I have no idea what the point value would be, if there are that many of each letter, or perhaps use blanks. Perhaps a Scrabble aficionado could tell us.
    And I apologize for my language, but Bill asked for it!

8. Ted from Ft. Laud Jul 8th 2017 at 02:25 am 8

Arthur - the way the board is set up, you can’t get both a double and triple letter score. You could in some cases get 2 double or 2 triples, but I don’t think 2 doubles help enough, and the triple letter squares are spaced 5 letters apart - and I haven’t been able to think of a word (well, an appropriately inappropriate word) with high value letters with that spacing.

Mona - you wouldn’t want to use all your letters (you’d get a 50 point bonus added to points that would have to be more than 3, so you would exceed 53). However, you could make a 7 letter or longer word by using some letters already on the board. Regardless of its length, you are correct that it might be possible to generate that score through using the existing letters, and possibly by generating additional (crossing) words. However, Janis didn’t object to “bleep” fitting in, just whether it was a word and the scoring, which would mean it would have to fit in as “bleep”, even if it scored much higher as the different word. It seems really unlikely that it could do that by depending on lots of existing stuff on the board and/or crossing words (well, depending on what invented rules you had for the crossing words - if Arlo managed to use both “bleep” and his chosen word as it worked best for him in the grid, then it probably becomes completely dependent on existing tiles and what he could manage by crosses, but I’d think that would make the word basically unguessable ).

9. Arthur Jul 8th 2017 at 03:53 am 9

I came up with an unlikely but possible play for 53:

Of there was an ‘o’ vertically just above the triple-word at the
    center of last row, one could play the following word starting
    at that triple-word square: the word meaning copulator that
    starts with an ‘f’. The ‘e’ would get a double-letter score, and
    the word would get tripled for 48 points. Then add the points
    for the vertical ‘of’ (5 points), and voila.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t fit where ‘bleep’ would have.

Aha!

Play that same word one square to the left, but with ‘be’ above
    where the ‘e’ goes. The ‘r’ gets double-letter so there’s the
    same 48 points for that word and there’s 5 points for ‘Bee’.

10. James Pollock Jul 8th 2017 at 04:04 am 10

“Huh, you’d think someone would have published a dictionary or “rainbow table” with the nominal values of all words calculated, so you could lookup all words that are worth 53 points”

The problem being, of course, that since you can use a blank tile to replace any letter, but it does not score the same as the letter it replaces, words have as many possible scores as there are letters in it. (and that doesn’t even factor in double letter or double word spaces.

11. James Pollock Jul 8th 2017 at 04:06 am 11

“(No, you don’t get the 50-point bonus for a 7-letter word because one of those letters is already on the board.)”

Could be the first 7 tiles on the board.

12. Brent Jul 8th 2017 at 04:20 am 12

My solution:

Word MOTHER is on the board, horizontal from A10, as is the word AS, down from J8. Bleeped play extends MOTHER in the obvious way, the K is on the triple letter also making the word ASK (so it counts twice). MOTHER counts for 11, AS for 2, the K counts 30, the other letters in the bleeped word count for 10.

As a side note, I’d like to add that one of the TV stations here that does bleeping has a habit of bleeping said word from the beginning with a bleep that is only long enough to cover the mother part. It’s pretty hilarious.

13. Kilby Jul 8th 2017 at 06:04 am 13

As long as we are analyzing Scrabble word scores with insufficient information, would anyone like to take a shot at “ZQFMGB“?

14. Daniel J. Drazen Jul 8th 2017 at 07:41 am 14

I once got a 50-point word: “legations,” but I took advantage of a multiplier (double word, I think) plus a bonus for clearing my rack. 53 has to be comic exaggeration.

15. Brent Jul 8th 2017 at 08:03 am 15

I’ll get right on ZQFMGB once I figure out what classical music Calvin and Hobbes were listening to at 78rpm.

16. Mitch4 Jul 8th 2017 at 08:11 am 16

For uninteresting reasons, I was watching some broadcast network shows via online services, and was surprised at their bleeping technique. First of all, though not new, the audio was blanked, not covered. But also the video was blanked for that same time interval. Their concern must have been lipreaders, as the video blanking was not done if the speaker was not on screen.

17. Mitch4 Jul 8th 2017 at 08:13 am 17

Oh, and I’m not sure but think the closed captioning put in literal “[bleep]”.

18. larK Jul 8th 2017 at 09:58 am 18

Kudos to Arthur! That was amazing! And at 3:53 am.

19. James Pollock Jul 8th 2017 at 01:00 pm 19

“Their concern must have been lipreaders, as the video blanking was not done if the speaker was not on screen.”

If you watch old episodes of the Late Late Show when Craig Ferguson was the host, you’d know that they pixellate the speaker’s mouth as well as overdubbing the audio.

20. fleabane Jul 8th 2017 at 06:59 pm 20

You can’t use all seven letters and *only* get 53 points. YOu could get 53 with a double word score because you’d take into account the any other crossword that BLEEP extends. Thing is BLEEP with a B and P are just as likely to get 53 points then any bleedped word. I think there’s a subconcious idea that bleeped words being bad have more obscure letters. But if you think about it, that makes no sense. K’s are worth 5 which is good and Cs are worh 3 and Fs are worth 4 so that is good but it’s not outstanding. JUMP will give you a higher score.

21. fleabane Jul 8th 2017 at 11:44 pm 21

What was I thinking? Just the other day I scored 54 or so with J I Z M. Scored a lot.