Yet… he does apparently know exactly what it looks like…

Cidu Bill on Jun 19th 2017

buttonhook.GIF

Filed in Adam at Home, Bill Bickel, comic strips, comics, humor | 25 responses so far

25 Responses to “Yet… he does apparently know exactly what it looks like…”

1. DemetriosX Jun 19th 2017 at 10:00 am 1

There’s nothing here to suggest that Adam knows what a buttonhook looks like. He knows what a buttonhook pattern looks like. The real question is if Adam is old enough to remember a time when buttonhook patterns were still a part of football terminology. These days, it’s more like “Go out X yards, cut left/right, and double back Y yards.” I suppose he could have picked the term up from his father.

2. Pete Jun 19th 2017 at 10:06 am 2

He doesn’t know what it looks like. The father demonstrates the shape: “you run out and curve around like this.” The kid sees the shape made by his father as a question mark.

3. chemgal Jun 19th 2017 at 10:47 am 3

Which “he” did Bill mean? If “he” is Adam, it’s perfectly reasonable he knows what it looks like as he’s the one who used the term. If “he” is the son (Clayton?), then he only demonstrates understanding of his father’s explanation after his father demonstrates the shape, so he’s actually not being a smart a$$, (as Pete pointed out.)

4. billytheskink Jun 19th 2017 at 11:31 am 4

At least the “hook” in buttonhook offers a clue as to the shape of the route. Bad as I was at football as a kid, I picked up on the term pretty easily. It was the “flag” route that confused me, as pylons had replaced flags marking the edges of the end zones many years prior.

If Adam’s son really wants to get bogged down in semantics, he could point out that they are playing with a Canadian football (stripes all the way around the ball) whenever Adam mentions 4th down.

5. woozy Jun 19th 2017 at 11:56 am 5

A button hook and a question mark aren’t the same though, are they? A button hook you run a long way and then do a relative small hook whereas a question mark you run a short way and do a small hook. More like a fishhook.

6. Brian in STL Jun 19th 2017 at 12:46 pm 6

“And now I’m trying and failing to remember the term for things like using the image of a floppy as the icon for saving. It probably applies here.”

People still talk about “taping” something when they will almost certainly be using some digital process.

7. User McUser Jun 19th 2017 at 01:00 pm 7

@DemetriosX #1 - The term is “skeuomorph” or “skeuomorphism.” The former is the term for a single instance and the latter is the term for the concept in general.

8. Bob Jun 19th 2017 at 01:40 pm 8

Brian in STL@5 - and the people probably say they are taping “albums” which, for the most part, disappeared when 33 1/3 rpm replaced its 78 rpm forebear.

9. Cidu Bill Jun 19th 2017 at 01:55 pm 9

I had to explain “clockwise” to a woman in her 20s recently.

She’d never heard the word before, but did concede that it’s a great way of describing a direction.

And thinking about it… have we come up with a better way of describing the entire contents of a music release? That’s probably why everything from 33 1/3’s to mp3’s are still sold as albums.

10. Boise Ed Jun 19th 2017 at 02:25 pm 10

DemetriosX [1] and User [6]: I was going to suggest “retrograph,” but I’m not finding a listing for it.

Brian [5], Bob [7] and Bill [8]: You folks would probably enjoy a book I was given a couple of days ago, I Love It When You Talk Retro, by Ralph Keyes. He says his son once asked him, “Who’s this Cher Noble I keep hearing about?”

11. John Small Berries Jun 19th 2017 at 04:00 pm 11

Clockwise? Oh, you mean anti-widdershins?

12. Ian D Osmond Jun 19th 2017 at 05:28 pm 12

John Small Berries — deosil. Deosil and widdershins — sun direction and backwards. Or sunwise.

Clock direction follows sundial direction in the Northern hemisphere, hence “deosil”.

13. Winter Wallaby Jun 19th 2017 at 06:32 pm 13

Fun fact: clocks run counter-clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere. If you carry a clock across the equator while flushing a toilet, you can see the clock start to run backwards.

14. Joey C. Jun 19th 2017 at 06:40 pm 14

Heck, I’m 20 years old and I know what in the world clockwise is. My gosh.

15. Meryl A Jun 20th 2017 at 01:34 am 15

Clockwise? That means falling down right? Like on the digital clocks. :-)

16. Kilby Jun 20th 2017 at 04:47 am 16

@ WW (12) - Luckily only the clock runs backwards, otherwise you’d get wet feet.

P.S. A friend once told me about troubles during a “compass navigation” assignment in a geology class. It turned out that one member of the group was from Australia, and had tacitly assumed that the sun was in the north. It took them a while to find out what the problem was.

17. JHGRedekop Jun 21st 2017 at 03:01 pm 17

@Bill [9] Before there were commercial recordings, a collections of songs would be called a “cycle”, and a collection of instrumental pieces would be called a “suite”. :)

18. Mark in Boston Jun 21st 2017 at 08:04 pm 18

@JHGRedekop: The very first release of Beethoven’s “Für Elise” was in an album.

19. James Pollock Jun 21st 2017 at 10:36 pm 19

“The very first release of Beethoven’s “Für Elise” was in an album.”

Of course it was. Cassette singles hadn’t been invented yet.

20. Mark in Boston Jun 22nd 2017 at 09:35 pm 20

Specifically, “Für Elise” was an Albumblatt, or album leaf.

21. Heather Jun 23rd 2017 at 11:20 am 21

@Mark in Boston I love that you know that. Marry me.

In Dutch, the term for a page turner (often required for we pianists when playing stuff more complex then that little Albumblatt) is a bladluis — or “leaf louse”!!

22. Kilby Jun 23rd 2017 at 01:21 pm 22

For anyone who didn’t get Heather’s pun @21, the Dutch insect is called an “aphid” in English (the German name is “Blattlaus“.)

23. Heather Jun 23rd 2017 at 01:56 pm 23

Danke Kilby! I’d forgotten that it’s an aphid, rather than technically a louse. I do remember now, though — when my Dutch friend told me the term I thought ‘louse’ was a weird insect to use for the metaphor, but when he described the insect I realized it was an aphid (he didn’t know that english word).

24. Mark in Boston Jun 23rd 2017 at 08:54 pm 24

@Heather, we will still need a page turner, but do you prefer Primo or Secundo?

25. Heather L Dunham Jun 23rd 2017 at 09:53 pm 25

Haha my dutch friend who told me the term is my current duet partner. I guess he would have to become the page turner. Quite the demotion but needs must. And we go equally in terms of primo/secondo… i just take whichever part is more difficult.