Rote

Cidu Bill on Jun 19th 2017

june19-frazz.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Frazz, comic strips, comics, humor | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to “Rote”

1. Boise Ed Jun 19th 2017 at 02:51 am 1

2. James Pollock Jun 19th 2017 at 03:41 am 2

And that’s all she rote.

3. Kamino Neko Jun 19th 2017 at 05:41 am 3

Rote, rote, rote your bote.

4. Kilby Jun 19th 2017 at 06:02 am 4

I wonder whether the color of the bucket(*) and the background shading is just a coincidence?

P.S. (*) German “rot” = English “red”.

5. Mitch4 Jun 19th 2017 at 08:02 am 5

And what would be good mnemonics or context for remembering “rote”?

6. Cidu Bill Jun 19th 2017 at 08:14 am 6

And Kilby (5), considering the fact that Jef Mallett tends to try to be too clever by half, I’d guess yes.

7. Kilby Jun 19th 2017 at 08:30 am 7

@ Bill (6) - I assume you meant “no” (meaning “not a coincidence”).

P.S. I wouldn’t necessarily presume that “redundantly clever” automatically includes “knowledge of German”, but we’ve seen him play with Morse code before, so it’s always a possibility.

8. DemetriosX Jun 19th 2017 at 09:53 am 8

At first, I didn’t think there was anything to Kilby’s speculation, but then I remembered that there is still a strong German influence up in Mallett country. OTOH, it’s very likely that he has little to no influence on the coloring of the dailies.

9. woozy Jun 19th 2017 at 12:16 pm 9

# 5 “And what would be good mnemonics or context for remembering “rote”?”

#1 “She’s trying to memorize “rote” by rote, and it isn’t working. Maybe it would help if she rote it down.”

Seems like a good one to me.

# 6 “It’s been pointed out that there needs to be a good mnemonic for remembering how to spell “mnemonic.””

If you can remember “mnemonic” is freaky as it begins with a silent “m” (which is impossible to forget because the only reason one would try to remember a mnemonic for “mnemonic” would be because one remembers “mnemonic” is weird) then everything simply falls into place.

====

I wrote a short story once about a girl who was named for the Greek muse of memory[*] . She used to like to say “My name is Mneme but everyone calls me Nimi for short”. When people would look confused she’d say “My nickname and real name are homophones”.

[*] One of the three original Boeotian Muses; not one of the nine Hessiod muses of arts and sciences.

10. woozy Jun 19th 2017 at 12:21 pm 10

I know he’s trying to be sarcastic … but isn’t remembering things by mnemonics cheating?

11. Boise Ed Jun 19th 2017 at 02:35 pm 11

Maybe Caulfield did the coloring on this one. And a partial mnemonic for remembering how to spell “mnemonic” might be Memory Nudge.

12. Cidu Bill Jun 19th 2017 at 03:32 pm 12

Yes, Kilby, I meant no.

13. Winter Wallaby Jun 19th 2017 at 03:58 pm 13

Sometimes a bucket is just a bucket.

14. Treesong Jun 19th 2017 at 09:38 pm 14

I have a couple of mnemonic books, WASPLEG and Remembrance of Things Fast, and I think the latter might have a ‘mnemonic’ mnemonic, but I don’t remember where I put them.
    It might help to tie the word to ‘amnesia’. Which is sometimes caused by amnemonics like ‘fall forward, spring back’.

15. Arthur Jun 19th 2017 at 10:14 pm 15

I often find the thing itself easier to remember than the mnemonic.

16. Dave in Boston Jun 20th 2017 at 12:33 am 16

mitch4: this quote about a piece of enterprise-quality software: “Actually, `they rote it’ describes the process better.”
    attribution/context deleted to avoid getting anyone in trouble :-)

17. Meryl A Jun 20th 2017 at 01:37 am 17

Rotation? word repeated and then repeated from rotating back to the beginning of it, etc.

18. Mitch4 Jun 20th 2017 at 09:19 am 18

Re woozy #9: Nabokov’s “Speak, Memory” was originally (he says) going to be called “Speak, Mnemosyne” but then he came to agree with the publishers it would be unwieldy.