Personal Super-Synchroniciy

Cidu Bill on Jun 19th 2017

costume.GIF

A couple of days ago I found myself in the middle of a group of twenty-to-thirty people, all walking together to what I later realized was a Saturday evening showing of Wonder Woman at a monstrously-large London iMax: I counted two Jokers (both new-school), half a dozen Harley Quinns at various levels of sluttiness, two Spider-Men, a Captain America, and other various characters. Oddly enough, only one Wonder Woman.

Filed in Bill Amend, Fox Trot, Harley Quinn, London, Superman, Wonder Woman, comic strips, comics, humor, synchronicity | 17 responses so far

17 Responses to “Personal Super-Synchroniciy”

1. Rasheed Khaleel Jun 19th 2017 at 12:27 pm 1

I have “volunteered” at several comic conventions and that’s always where I’ve seen people wear costumes outside of Halloween. I’ve yet to go to a movie theater where people dress up, but I also hardly go to theaters anymore, and usually 2nd run discount shows.

2. r2t Jun 19th 2017 at 12:33 pm 2

when I saw Wonder Woman this past Friday. I saw one mother with a WW t-shirt and a small daughter dressed up as WW. I didnt see anyone else dressed up but then the movie had been out for a week at that point.

3. Boise Ed Jun 19th 2017 at 02:05 pm 3

It’s a relatively small minority of the populace who can (or should) even think about dressing up as Wonder Woman.

4. John Small Berries Jun 19th 2017 at 04:02 pm 4

Exactly, Boise Ed. Only the people with the confidence to do it.

5. Cidu Bill Jun 19th 2017 at 06:02 pm 5

Trust me, a Wonder Woman costume can be a lot more forgiving than a Harley Quinn costume.

6. Meryl A Jun 20th 2017 at 01:30 am 6

No one at the showing of WW we went to who was dressed up. We waited until this past weekend - I think this is the third weekend (4th?) as the local theater we go shows only the 3D version of movies it is showing in 3D late show Saturday night, which is the show we go to. We had to wait out the 3D showing to be able to see it. Usually we are the only ones at the late showings of movies or there are one or two other couples or singles. This one had a lot of people there - I had to annoy people for an emergency bathroom break as there was a couple in our row on each side of us.

Now we could have seen the version with several of the main character at another theater - driving home from NYC Thursday I passed a theater which had on it’s outdoor listing “Wonder Women” listed. :-)

The friend I have mentioned before who wrote for DC comics and before that drove a comic book mobile for them (the latter dressed as Superman, although he wrote/edited Batman when he worked at DC) had a girlfriend (still his wife after all these years and she was a friend of mine also - we were all on our college yearbook together - he was editor in chief and she managing editor for two years, then they graduated and I was eic and husband was one of my managing editors. His girlfriend did publicity stills for DC as Wonder Woman back then in the mid 1970s. Apparently one has to be taped into the top to stay in it.

7. Kilby Jun 20th 2017 at 04:40 am 7

All this information about insane spectators is beside the point. What I’d really like to know is whether the movie was any good.

8. r2t Jun 20th 2017 at 11:24 am 8

@Kilby yes it was a good movie. I enjoyed it.And if you dont trust me the reviews are good. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wonder_woman_2017/

9. James Pollock Jun 20th 2017 at 03:00 pm 9

“a Wonder Woman costume can be a lot more forgiving than a Harley Quinn costume.”

Depends. This is what Harley looked like when she first appeared, on the Batman Animated Series:

10. Cidu Bill Jun 20th 2017 at 03:43 pm 10

James, I don’t think anybody dresses up as Old-School Harley anymore.

11. Winter Wallaby Jun 20th 2017 at 05:40 pm 11

Bill #11: I see a lot of full body suits in this set of Harley Quinn cosplay images. But I’m not sure I’d call a form-fitting body suit “forgiving” anyway.

12. Kilby Jun 21st 2017 at 07:25 am 12

@ r2t (8) - I’d trust any direct opinion more than a crowd-sourced collection. In any case, you are right, the reviews are remarkably positive, better than I would have expected, considering the movie in which she appeared previously.

13. Winter Wallaby Jun 21st 2017 at 01:51 pm 13

Kilby #12: Not sure which previous movie you’re thinking of, but I wouldn’t generally blame an actor or actress for the quality of a movie, unless the acting was particularly atrocious. There’s only so much they can do to overcome bad plot or directing.

e.g. Batman v. Superman was stupid and uninteresting, but I don’t think the actors/actresses in it were at fault.

14. Kilby Jun 21st 2017 at 05:03 pm 14

@ Winter Wallaby (13) - The bad reviews for “Batman vs. Superman” were exactly why I didn’t expect Wonder Woman to be that good. I didn’t mean to doubt her acting ability, it’s just that the whole superhero genre has been dredging for scripts for so long that it’s always a pleasant surprise when anyone comes up with a worthwhile story. (I’m way past demanding that it be new, but it would be nice for it to be well-written.)

15. Winter Wallaby Jun 22nd 2017 at 11:42 am 15

Kilby #14: I’ve been pretty happy with most of the superhero movies put out by Marvel in recent years. However, all the DC movies that I’ve seen in recent years have been horrible, so much so that I remain skeptical of Wonder Woman, and still haven’t seen it, despite the good reviews. (Probably will still see it at some point, though.)

16. Boise Ed Jun 22nd 2017 at 05:36 pm 16

Kilby [12]: I, too, thought the WW movie was very well done. I came into it with a wary attitude as I’m getting more and more turned off by the “noir” interpretation of superheroes, and I also have fond memories of the 1975 TV series, but this one did an excellent origin story, IMHO.

As for Marvel v. DC, I like some of each.

17. James Pollock Jun 22nd 2017 at 11:52 pm 17

“all the DC movies that I’ve seen in recent years have been horrible”

Presumably you are skipping over the DC animated products, which have not all been terrible, with some in the “quite good” category. The Nolan version of Batman was quite good right up until the ending, which is complete rubbish and spoils the whole thing. Tim Burton did a good job with Batman, too, but then they handed off to (sigh) Joel Schumaker. The original Superman movie was good, and the sequel was perhaps a bit better, and then someone thought what Superman franchise needed was some comic relief. It did not.

Over on the Marvel side, the same rule applies… the first two movies featuring a character might be OK, but by the third, the wheels will DEFINITELY have fallen off. Spider-Man, Spider-Man II, dreck. X-Men, X-Men 2, dreck. Captain America avoided this, with a fairly strong third movie, but then again, the character of Captain America in the first movie and the second movie are technically the same character, but literally everything else changed, and the third Cap movie was more like the two-and-a-halfth Avengers movie. Iron Man III had a twist in it that was not well-received. Thor fell into a bit of a hole in just the second movie, we’ll see how the third one goes.. Guardians hasn’t gotten to a third yet, so we’ll see about that one, too. Hulk never gets past one movie; each one reboots. The Fantastic Four are waiting for a good movie, too

The thing about comics is that, depending on the specific intellectual property, there’s somewhere between 20 and 75 years’ worth of stories. They’re not all good, but there’s a pretty substantial catalog of good stories to tap. But they insist on re-telling origin stories every fourth movie. Poor Peter Parker is stuck in high school again. COMIC-BOOK Peter Parker was only in high-school for a couple of years; with apologies to Mr. Ditko, Mr. Romita’s Spider-Man is more iconic, and dare I say, better. When Disney (or Sony) give me the reins, Spider-Man will already be Spider-Man at the start of my movie, and Pete will be old enough to drink. Aunt May will be talked about, but not seen. And there will be one main villain, with no other villain getting more than three minutes of screen time. And a major subplot will be “The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man”. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kid_Who_Collects_Spider-Man )