WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (17657) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Comics I Don’t Understand » Jog

Jog

on Jun 14th 2017

june14-cidu-bizarro-jog.gif

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (17657) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Filed in

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (17657) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Uncategorized | 20 responses so far

20 Responses to “Jog”

1. James Schend Jun 14th 2017 at 12:15 am 1

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I think it’s a reference to action movies, where when the stunt man jumps off a high building (or cliff or whatever) he waggles his legs like he’s running in-place so you can tell it’s not a dummy.

2. Richard Jun 14th 2017 at 12:23 am 2

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I have been skydiving twice - both times recreationally. The first time I jumped I did not feel any falling sensation. I think it was because I did not believe it was really happening. I kept the proper spread-eagle form. The second time I jumped, I definitely felt the falling sensation, and I could not help kicking my legs frantically. I did not enjoy it, and I’ve never gone sky-diving again.

I think kicking your legs might be a natural reaction to falling.

3. James Pollock Jun 14th 2017 at 12:26 am 3

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Little trampolines like that are sometimes used for exercise… running in place (In a normal house with 8 foot ceilings, six-foot people, and the thing is already a foot off the ground… you aren’t jumping very high on one.)

For me the IDU part of the comic is why the firemen have one of these. They catch people with nets; the firemen in big cities have airbags for high falls that they bring out for some folks threatening to jump off of buildings.
    But no trampolines.

4. Fuzzmaster Jun 14th 2017 at 02:11 am 4

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

James has it at #3. They’re called mini-trampolines or jogging trampolines. The joke is that instead of the large, round net traditionally used by firefighters in cartoons — which is usually portrayed as trampoline-like — they’re using the mini-tramp and telling the jumpers to use it for its real purpose.

5. wkiraly Jun 14th 2017 at 05:50 am 5

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

James is probably right but I initially took it as Wile E. Coyote running off the cliff then looking down down.

While looking for an illustration for this, I just learned a new word. https://uncomelyandbroken.wordpress.com/2012/03/10/the-coyote-and-the-cliff/

In any case, that’s an awfully small target and a trampoline doesn’t seem like a very good idea. Would much rather have a big bag that stops my fall than a trampoline that sends me back up!

6. James Pollock Jun 14th 2017 at 06:45 am 6

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I’m not sure you can trust that source. It contains a fundamental error. The author refers to the fact that the coyote can never catch the roadrunner. However, the coyote DID catch the roadrunner.

7. Kamino Neko Jun 14th 2017 at 10:36 am 7

This was badly timed….

8. Big Chief Jun 14th 2017 at 10:42 am 8

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Yes, nobody’s fault except if it was arson, but it sure does take the humor out of it.

9. Powers Jun 14th 2017 at 10:51 am 9

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I don’t think James Pollock is correct. I think James Schend is.

10. Its Justme Jun 14th 2017 at 12:58 pm 10

Very unfortunate timing.

11. Ian D Osmond Jun 14th 2017 at 02:18 pm 11

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Bad timing. Just like other people said. (Context for people reading this in the future — this morning/last night, there was a horrific fire in a poorly-maintained high-rise apartment building in London in which at LEAST six people died, but potentially many, many more. There are reports of people jumping to their deaths, but they’re not confirmed last I heard.)

12. Ian D Osmond Jun 14th 2017 at 02:21 pm 12

13. Ian D Osmond Jun 14th 2017 at 02:21 pm 13

14. James Pollock Jun 14th 2017 at 03:17 pm 14

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“James Pollock — of course, the one time he did manage to catch the Roadrunner, he’d somehow managed to turn himself three inches high, and was really not in a position to DO anything about it.”

That’s not the only time he caught the roadrunner.

The problem is that “catch” is the wrong verb. The coyote succeeds in catching the roadrunner lots of times.
    What he cannot ever seem to do is to actually EAT the roadrunner.

15. Edward Leiken Jun 14th 2017 at 05:32 pm 15

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Probably they are right, it’s a jogging trampoline. I was thinking they wanted to jog to the left a little because they didn’t put it under any of the windows where the people were.

16. Singapore Bill Jun 14th 2017 at 10:30 pm 16

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I think it is a sign of the maturity of this site that nobody is saying they’re offended by this comic being here. Everyone is adult enough to know it is just a coincidence and is in no way mocking a true tragedy. CIDUBill has done a good job with this place.

17. Bookworm Jun 15th 2017 at 12:29 pm 17

Amen, Singapore Bill.

18. Winter Wallaby Jun 15th 2017 at 01:06 pm 18

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

This comic is from 2015, so if I thought Piraro was mocking a recent tragedy, I would be offended, yes, but perhaps even more impressed.

19. Ian D Osmond Jun 15th 2017 at 01:52 pm 19

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Singapore Bill — I AM saddened by the comic, but, yeah, not offended. You don’t need to be deliberately hostile to be offensive — in many cases, being careless with other people’s feelings is plenty. But something that is so completely unpredictably bad luck? Yeah. I’m allowed to be upset and sad, but not offended or hurt.

Now, if someone was being all happy about how cool the coincidence was, THAT would be offensive.

20. Cidu Bill Jun 15th 2017 at 04:32 pm 20

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Actually, because this apparently missed the New York Times International Edition deadline, the first I heard about the London fire was Kamino Neko’s comment.

Of course, I had this whole week queued up before I left New Jersey.