Sunday Funnies - June 11, 2017

Cidu Bill on Jun 11th 2017

nyer-outdoors.PNG

rhymes-with-heaven.PNG

slinky.jpg

tundra-dead.jpg

Filed in Bill Bickel, Brevity, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Guy & Rodd, Hilary B. Price, New Yorker, Rhymes With Orange, Tundra, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to “Sunday Funnies - June 11, 2017”

1. Kilby Jun 11th 2017 at 12:23 am 1

It’s not just Bill in the title caption (”is it just me, or is everyone speaking strangely?“). The difficulty in speaking with Berlin natives isn’t so much the accent as the attitude. Berliner “Schnauze” literally means “snottiness”, but it’s generally good natured. They aren’t being mean, but sometimes it sounds like it.

2. Cidu Bill Jun 11th 2017 at 12:33 am 2

I’ve already come to the same conclusion: thought people were being snippish, but they weren’t really.

I think this was easy for me to pick up on because, similarly, people tend to think all New Yorkers are rude while… we’re just being New Yorkers.

3. Carl Jun 11th 2017 at 09:31 am 3

By reputation (including my parents’ experience there) Parisians really are snippy, sneering twits, as a group. I’ll be there this summer, I’ll see for myself. Everyone in Germany was extremely friendly to me, except the two idiot English tourists that one time. (English people in London were also very nice to me, it was just these two idiots on the bus in Heidelberg.)

4. Andreas Jun 11th 2017 at 10:13 am 4

Last one is a CIDU for me.

5. larK Jun 11th 2017 at 10:26 am 5

Bill, out of sheer cat killing curiosity, that conclusion you came to, was it from interactions in German or English? (To me all Germans it seems become supercilious and slightly condescending when speaking English.)

6. Cidu Bill Jun 11th 2017 at 01:12 pm 6

English, larK.

But this just brings us back to the question of whether they’re actually being rude or we’re just reading them wrong. Both Friday and yesterday, Interacted with somebody I thought was being rude, and each one turned out to have been very nice — and probably would have been shocked to know my initial impression had been otherwise.

7. pepperjackcandy Jun 11th 2017 at 03:19 pm 7

I spent a year learning Italian prior to going to Italy (my son studied with me, but all he said while we were there were “Buongiorno,” “Buonasera,” “Buona notte,” and “Grazie”). So, we’re in Rome, and a man comes up to us and asks, “Dov’è la Piazza Navona?”

I was utterly unprepared for this question. I thought for a moment, trying to figure out how to say things like, “That way” and “follow the signs.” Finally, I asked, “How’s your English?”

His response, “Oh, thank God.”

So I gave him the directions in English and he thanked me and went on his way.

8. Cidu Bill Jun 11th 2017 at 05:21 pm 8

Love it, pepperjackcandy!

9. Ron Jun 11th 2017 at 08:03 pm 9

Carl (3) That doesn’t correspond to my experiences in Paris. The people
    were friendly, and they went out of their way to help.

10. Carl Jun 11th 2017 at 09:37 pm 10

Ron (8), there is a reason I put a disclaimer in there. Two store clerks were horribly rude to my mom, and one waiter to both my parents. This does not necessarily represent all Parisians at all times.

11. Winter Wallaby Jun 11th 2017 at 10:24 pm 11

pepperjackcandy #6: I was in the Amsterdam in 2000 when I saw an elderly man going up and asking several different people something in Dutch. I saw him ask two or three people and get the same response in English each time: “I’m sorry, I don’t speak Dutch.” I felt bad for the guy, having so much difficulty finding a Dutch speaker in his own country. Admittedly, we were in the University area.

12. Boise Ed Jun 12th 2017 at 12:00 am 12

I’ve had both experiences in Paris, about 10 years apart. I’ll never know if it was the times or something I did differently. In Germany, Amsterdam, and rural Britain, I’ve always been treated well.

13. Larry Luntsford Jun 12th 2017 at 12:03 am 13

A few years ago, I spent a month in France, and my conversational French was pretty good by that time, even though my experience was that pretty much every educated adult Frenchman spoke English as well as French. Then I moved on to Italy, an found that my phrasebook Italian was pretty much useless; and that very few Italians spoke English. So I tried speaking French to the Italians, and I got along fine.

14. Meryl A Jun 13th 2017 at 01:20 am 14

I went to Mexico while in college with a girl friend. I had taken and managed somehow to get a B in Spanish classes. She had taken French. Somehow I got us through the trip with my limted Spanish. A lot was acting along with the talking.

“Su padre” point at friend “Fuma dos en un dia” pointing at the package of cigarettes she was buying for her dad as a souvenir. Woman understood as she repeated the dos in un dia, faked a cough and hit her chest.

Friend was most impressed with me when I bought Hershey bars in Mexico City. The candy was in a glass case. I pointed. “Dos sin almendros y dos con almenadros” She was so impressed I knew the word for almonds. “Laurie, it says it on the label.”

When I was a kid and the Slinky first was introduced I got one as a gift. We were talking one day and husband was waxing on about playing with Slink when we were kids. I told him I thought it was the most the boring thing I had ever seen. “No, it was great. I would go out on the stairs down to my grandmother’s half of the house and let it go - it was wonderful.” I then pointed out to him that we lived in an apartment - all on the same floor of the building - the first floor of the building. Mostly my Slinky was played with from one hand to the other. :-)

15. Mark in Boston Jun 13th 2017 at 11:20 pm 15

It walks down stairs without a care and shoots so high in the sky,
    Bobs up and down just like a clown, Everyone loves a Slinky.

It’s Slinky, it’s slinky, for fun it’s the best of the toys.
    It’s Slinky, it’s slinky, the favorite of girls and boys.

Everyone loves a Slinky. You better get a Slinky.

16. James Pollock Jun 14th 2017 at 12:36 am 16

“Mostly my Slinky was played with from one hand to the other.”

Should have gone to the mall, and put it on the “up” escalator.

I remember different words for the Slinky jingle.
    I looked it up on Youtube, and commercials from the 60s, 70s, and 90s all had a different jingle.
    The fun was seeing the associated toys in this 70’s commercial

By the 90’s, all they had was plastic slinkies. When there was a Slinky dog in Toy Story, I doubt many of the kids in their target audience knew what heck it was.

17. larK Jun 14th 2017 at 09:36 am 17

What goes down stairs,
    alone in in pairs;
    Rolls over your neighbor’s dog?

It fits on your back;
    It’s great for a snack;
    It’s Log, Log, Log!

It’s Log! It’s Log!
    It’s big,
    It’s heavy,
    It’s wood!

It’s Log! It’s Log!
    It’s better than bad -
    It’s good!

Everyone wants a Log!
    Run out and get your Log!
    Log log log log log log!

18. Kilby Jun 15th 2017 at 03:18 am 18

@ JP (16) - According to the DVD commentary, Slinky Dog was the only toy they used in the movie that was no longer in production.