Just a note…

Cidu Bill on Jun 9th 2017

Several people sent me CIDUs over the past 24 hours. Generally, I post them as soon as possible, but in this case I have no idea how WordPress would handle it if I scheduled something when I was in Berlin: would the posts go live at 12:02 Central Europe Time?

Based on how well WordPress handles something as simple as Daylight Saving Time…

Filed in Bill Bickel | 7 responses so far

7 Responses to “Just a note…”

1. MInTheGap Jun 9th 2017 at 05:49 pm 1

WordPress is in whatever time zone you set it up in, it doesn’t know where you physically are in the world. So whatever time you setup in your dashboard is the time that it would go live no matter where you are or what time you are.

2. Cidu Bill Jun 10th 2017 at 12:42 am 2

Yes, but I’m not sure whether, when it’s time for the post to go live, it will go live according to the time zone from which I’d queued it up.

Better not to give myself a headache over it, since I’m still trying to figure out whether it’s dinner time or breakfast time.

3. Boise Ed Jun 10th 2017 at 01:14 am 3

Now’s your chance to do the experiment, Bill. Take note of the posting time, and perhaps someone will note when it goes live.

4. Kilby Jun 10th 2017 at 02:57 am 4

What’s wrong with things appearing in the middle of the (night/day/whenever)??? That’s what they do all the time (at least, when seen from over here). Midnight EDT is 6am CEDT.

P.S. For anyone who cares, Bill is in Berlin (at least physically): I’ve received two (brief) e-mails and one (cryptic) text message. Apparently his mobile connection is not working that well. I’ll try calling his hotel later (when he’s more likely to be awake).

5. Kilby Jun 10th 2017 at 05:29 am 5

P.P.S. New update (11:30 am here, 5:30 am EDT): Bill is alive and well in downtown Berlin, but bleary-eyed from jetlag. Par for the course.

6. Cidu Bill Jun 10th 2017 at 12:18 pm 6

I’ve been up for the past 50 hours, so I’m not sure “jet lag” is relevant.

Because of what Sprint is calling “carrier instability,” basically I’m not getting anything from them: voice, text or data.

Though text does kick in randomly for a few minutes at a time: the cryptic messsge to which Kilby refers was actually the first half of a sentence. How Sprint manged to send out a partisl text messsge is anybody’s guess.

7. Meryl A Jun 13th 2017 at 01:28 am 7

I post my blog post just about the same every week. Sometime between midnight and 2 am on Thursday morning (Wednesday night to me as my mind works). I have posted almost all of them from our kitchen (how is that for specific) with maybe one or two posted from Lancaster PA in the year and 3/4 I have been posting. All even from the same computer. This is not on Wordpress.

The post seems to go live right away. However, I am signed up as a follower so that I know that the post went out (to my whopping audience of three). Some weeks the post is in my email by 3-4 pm when I check email on Thursday and some weeks it comes on Friday.