And speaking of cherries…

Cidu Bill on Jun 7th 2017

tootsie1.GIF

Filed in Argyle Sweater, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Scott Hillburn, comic strips, comics, humor | 21 responses so far

21 Responses to “And speaking of cherries…”

1. Winter Wallaby Jun 7th 2017 at 01:06 am 1

When you put your tongue all over a tootsie pop, it gets smaller and smaller and eventually disappears (dies). Kissing can involve tongue. The tootsie pop in the middle is smaller, not just because it’s younger, but because it’s been kissing.

Don’t think I’d be too keen on kissing someone who’s kissing technique was to lick all over my face, though.

2. Kamino Neko Jun 7th 2017 at 02:51 am 2

She’s not just smaller, the ‘pop’ is all gone, and all that’s left is the Tootsie Roll centre.

3. woozy Jun 7th 2017 at 02:52 am 3

As you can see in the photo kissing can be very deadly. Cherry’s in trouble deep.

4. Jeff Lichtman Jun 7th 2017 at 03:43 am 4

Cherry lost her cherry?

So was cherry kissing a boy tootsie pop? That would mean her head was licked away by another of her species. We know that female praying mantises will eat the heads of their mates - is this something similar to that?

Also note that mom and dad tootsie pop are intact.

5. Kilby Jun 7th 2017 at 05:34 am 5

Watch out for owls, even if they don’t count!

6. Daniel J. Drazen Jun 7th 2017 at 07:23 am 6

The world must never know.

7. Bob in Nashville Jun 7th 2017 at 07:43 am 7

Still no indication of how many licks it took.

8. Mark M Jun 7th 2017 at 10:49 am 8

It didn’t help when I initially mistook the family photo for a window with other pops looking inside.

9. Dr. Shrinker Jun 7th 2017 at 11:45 am 9

This one threw me, too. The obvious implication is that “Cherry’s” parents are virgins, since they’ve clearly never even kissed. So how did Cherry get here?

And how did Grape and Orange(?) have a Cherry daughter?

And why is the Tootsie Roll at her center purple, for goodness’ sake?

10. Kilby Jun 7th 2017 at 12:40 pm 10

@ Bob (6) - From the smile on Tiffany’s face, it looks like she would be willing to count them.

11. Bob Jun 7th 2017 at 01:04 pm 11

Dr. Shrinker @9 - I attribute the purple center to a colorist who’s never had a Tootsie Pop before. As to how Cherry got here, kissing doesn’t have to be a part of that equation. (Then again, as the “body” of a Tootsie Pop is just a stick, I’m not sure what that “equation” could be.)

12. James Pollock Jun 7th 2017 at 11:42 pm 12

“And how did Grape and Orange(?) have a Cherry daughter?”

That’s what the stork brought them.

13. B.A. Jun 8th 2017 at 02:30 am 13

If “cherry” isn’t relevent in a virginity sense, then the choice of flavors was an unnecessary distraction.

14. Kilby Jun 8th 2017 at 04:13 am 14

@ B.A. (12) - The artist needed a fruit flavor that could double as a plausible (girl’s) name: the list of viable candidates is vanishingly small, even if it isn’t limited to flavors that are actually available.

According to Wikipedia: “Tootsie Pops come in cherry, orange, caramel, grape, raspberry, strawberry, watermelon, blue raspberry, candy cane, … pomegranate, banana, blueberry, … green apple, … lemon-lime, strawberry banana, apple blueberry, citrus punch, and berry punch.” From that list, “Cherry” is the only one that comes even close.

15. Bob Jun 8th 2017 at 02:13 pm 15

Looks like I’ve got a comment from yesterday still stuck in moderation. As for the list of flavors Kilby posted above, I’d say Candy (cane) is “close” but Cherry is better.

16. Boise Ed Jun 8th 2017 at 02:29 pm 16

We used to call those “suckers.”

17. James Pollock Jun 8th 2017 at 02:33 pm 17

Kilby:
    Green apples are actually named after a woman, although “Granny Smith” isn’t really in keeping with the rest of theme here.

But if you move away from proper names, “sugar” or “sweetie” would have worked just fine.

18. Mark in Boston Jun 8th 2017 at 11:35 pm 18

Hmmmm….. I wonder if any parents ever decided to name their daughter after her grandmother, and named her “Granny”.

19. Kilby Jun 9th 2017 at 05:05 am 19

@ Bob (14) - I’m sure that if the kid had turned out to be a boy, he would have been named “Banana”.

20. Kilby Jun 9th 2017 at 05:08 am 20

P.S. A little late, but I just remembered that the mammoth daughter in the Ice Age movies (3,4,5) is named “Peaches”. However, I think I like JP’s “sweetie” @15 better than any of the fruits.

21. Mark in Boston Jun 9th 2017 at 10:01 pm 21

Arnold Schwarzenegger was in a low-budget comedy western, playing a character named Handsome Stranger.

Handsome Stranger says “I was named after my father.”