Yo la tengo!

Cidu Bill on May 18th 2017

may18-yo-la-tengo.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, In the Bleachers, Steve Moore, comic strips, comics, humor | 25 responses so far

25 Responses to “Yo la tengo!”

1. Ron May 18th 2017 at 12:15 am 1

Looks like a prehistoric version of people always on a cell phone
    even at the most inappropriate of times.

In this case, good thing they were within hearing distance, as
    a tin can phone doesn’t work unless the string is stretched tight.

2. Olivier May 18th 2017 at 02:19 am 2

They’ve been forbidden using cell phones on the field ; so, they’re resorting to earlier technologies.

3. Kilby May 18th 2017 at 03:55 am 3

It seems unlikely that outfielders who are wider than they are tall would ever be able to catch a fly ball.

4. Olivier May 18th 2017 at 04:29 am 4

5. Brent May 18th 2017 at 05:58 am 5

Tin can phones with lax strings are a peeve of mine. Or maybe we’re supposed to believe that they’re using a closed-circuit telephone that’s in a tin can phone style?

6. Kilby May 18th 2017 at 06:56 am 6

Has anyone here actually made a “tin can phone” recently? I tried it with my son about a year ago, but was not able to get it to work satisfactorily. At the time I considered switching to thin wire (instead of string), but now I believe the problem was the reinforcement in the lids of the cans we used. The end surfaces of most cans are “rippled”, increasing their strength, but also greatly reducing the effective area that can vibrate. I think I’ll keep my eye out for some less robust cans.

7. Terrence Feenstra May 18th 2017 at 06:58 am 7

As an Air Force dependent I spent six years in Spain: Madrid and Seville (some 40 plus years ago). So with that pedigree established, I’m reasonably sure that it’s “Yo lo tengo.” Lo, not la. Verb genders and so on.

The nice thing about this page is that so many smart people think and post here. So I am sort of looking forward to getting my a$$ handed to me over the next few days.

Hi, Mona!

8. Olivier May 18th 2017 at 07:08 am 8

Kilby : try waxed paper cups.

9. Kilby May 18th 2017 at 07:51 am 9

@ Terrence (7) - I think you are right as long as the object in question is either masculine or of indeterminate gender (as in “I’ve got it“). However, when applied to something that is definitely feminine, then “¡La tengo!” would be appropriate. Since the Spanish word for “ball” is “(la) pelota“, I think Bill’s headline is OK.

P.S. Native speakers are of course welcome to criticize my gringo linguistics.

10. DemetriosX May 18th 2017 at 07:59 am 10

Kilby: Or yogurt/cream/sour cream containers.

11. David May 18th 2017 at 08:21 am 11

Isn’t there something in baseball about calling for the ball so two players don’t collide running after the same ball? Could this be a “joke” around that?

12. Olivier May 18th 2017 at 08:36 am 12

Bill’s headline is probably referring to this : “One oft-told story is that on short flies to center or left-center, center fielder Ashburn would collide with shortstop Elio Chacón. Chacón, from Venezuela, spoke little English and had difficulty understanding when Ashburn was calling him off the ball. To remedy matters teammate Joe Christopher taught Ashburn to say ‘Yo la tengo’, Spanish for ‘I’ve got it.’ When Ashburn first used this phrase it worked fine, keeping Chacón from running into him. But then left fielder Frank Thomas, who did not speak a word of Spanish, slammed into Ashburn. After getting up Thomas asked Ashburn, ‘What the heck is a Yellow Tango?’”(from : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Ashburn ).

13. Chip May 18th 2017 at 09:02 am 13

From which we get the great band out of Hoboken, NJ!

14. zookeeper May 18th 2017 at 10:40 am 14

Absurdity as humor.

15. Powers May 18th 2017 at 11:14 am 15

I believe Olivier’s quotation actually (inadvertently) explains the genesis of the joke. When a fielder yells, “I’ve got it”, he’s “calling off” the other fielders. In this case, he’s “calling” them off by using a tin-can phone. Ha.

16. James Pollock May 18th 2017 at 11:30 am 16

“When a fielder yells, “I’ve got it”, he’s “calling off” the other fielders.”

Or, more simply, he’s calling the ball as his (or hers). While this is fairly well understood by most people who watch a baseball game, “calling” is probably more associated with the famous story of Babe Ruth’s “called shot”.

17. Cidu Bill May 18th 2017 at 01:17 pm 17

Yes, Olivier, I did of course have the Richie Ashburn story in mind. One of those stories you’re amazed to find out was actually true.

18. Joseph K. May 18th 2017 at 01:55 pm 18

OK, then, no one has any idea what the joke is.

19. turquoisecow May 18th 2017 at 06:45 pm 19

I think the point (although maybe not a joke?) is that the outfielders, rather than shouting “I GOT IT” simply announce it into their tin can phones. However:

1. Why they are tin cans and not cell phones, which are a thing that exists, is unknown.

2. There’s no need for the one guy to yell “I GOT IT” because there’s no one else near him. Outfielders shout “I GOT IT” when there are multiples converging on one spot and there’s a risk that they may collide. One then shouts that he’s got it so the others back off.

3. Why are they not simply shouting, as is the tradition? Maybe so they don’t go hoarse easily?

20. Kilby May 19th 2017 at 05:51 am 20

Speaking of “¡Yo lo tengo!“, there’s an inscription in today’s Non Sequitur that translates to exactly that.

21. mitch4 May 19th 2017 at 01:29 pm 21

IDU today’s Bleachers any better. Maybe less!

22. Ooten Aboot May 21st 2017 at 10:26 am 22

@ Terence Feenstra (7): Yo no hablo español, but I wonder whether the difference between “yo lo tengo” and “yo la tengo” might be explained by the gender of the antecedent noun (actual or understood) to which lo or la refers. In this instance I think it is la pelota de béisbol, which appears to be of the feminine grammatical gender.

23. Ooten Aboot May 21st 2017 at 10:43 am 23

@ Mitch4 (21): Fitz gas turned to Voodoo as a means of dealing with the loudmouth fan. He would have thrown a beaner, but he hasn’t yet caught a ball to throw.

24. mitch4 May 21st 2017 at 01:40 pm 24

Ah, thanks Ooten, that explains it!

25. mitch4 May 24th 2017 at 04:00 pm 25