Sunday Funnies - May 14, 2017

Cidu Bill on May 14th 2017

mothers-day.jpg

priceless-prom.PNG

nyer-enough-about-me.PNG

tundra-cat-in-heat.jpg

Filed in Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Greg Evans, Luann, Mother's Day, New Yorker, That is Priceless, Tundra, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 26 responses so far

26 Responses to “Sunday Funnies - May 14, 2017”

1. Kilby May 14th 2017 at 12:56 am 1

Tundra was the only one I liked, the other three were mostly CIDU, or “Meh!” at best.

2. furrykef May 14th 2017 at 01:08 am 2

The Mother’s Day one makes sense if you realize it ran on Mother’s Day last year. I was confused for a good while because at first I thought it was published this year, and it’s not Mother’s Day yet.

3. Boise Ed May 14th 2017 at 01:35 am 3

I’m with Kilby, except that the Tundra is just okay.

4. Cidu Bill May 14th 2017 at 02:00 am 4

furrykef, it is.

5. James Schend May 14th 2017 at 02:06 am 5

Only in that freaky east coast timezone you have. :) Us normal people on the correct coast have an hour still.

6. Proginoskes May 14th 2017 at 03:34 am 6

Looks like that couple is going to party like it’s 1699!

7. Kilby May 14th 2017 at 03:55 am 7

@ Proginoskes (6) - Unfortunately “That is Priceless” doesn’t offer an appearance date. I think this one is fairly old (from before I started following the feature), unless it just happens to be from a day I missed.

8. Carl May 14th 2017 at 06:36 am 8

“Prom Night” looks to me like “identical twin sisters pose together, one of them in drag.” Seriously, their faces are identical if you remove the mustache. Well, the “guy” sister has plucked eyebrows and longer, fuller hair ….

9. D McKeon May 14th 2017 at 03:00 pm 9

Title of the Codde work is: Double Portrait of a Married Couple
    Posted on: https://thatispriceless.blogspot.com/2016/07/masterpiece-1501.html

10. furrykef May 14th 2017 at 07:00 pm 10

CIDU Bill: OK, it technically was. My point was more that the strip couldn’t possibly have been published on Mother’s Day this year, because it wouldn’t have been up yet, so I was thinking it was published last week or something until I looked carefully and saw the 2016 copyright date.

I guess other people won’t share my confusion because they’ll be reading it at a normal hour and not as soon as it shows up in the RSS feed.

11. Cidu Bill May 14th 2017 at 07:27 pm 11

Okay, now I have to check exactly when Sunday LuAnns go live: I thought they were online by midnight Saturday night.

12. James Pollock May 14th 2017 at 08:27 pm 12

“now I have to check exactly when Sunday LuAnns go live:”

Depends on the local time zone. That is, the GoComics web server will show you the new one starting at 12:00 your time, but if I show up a few seconds later, I’ll still get the old one, because a couple of minutes past midnight your time is only 9:02 my time.

13. Boise Ed May 15th 2017 at 02:10 am 13

Bill [11]: They are online by midnight — somewhere.

14. Olivier May 15th 2017 at 03:32 am 14

Everybody knows on this side of the pond that Mother’s day is on the last Sunday of May (Father’s day 2 weeks later).

15. Proginoskes May 15th 2017 at 03:38 am 15

@ Olivier: Logically, shouldn’t Mother’s Day be nine months after Father’s Day?

Okay, that’s enough for me tonight … H L Puttgrass signing off and heading for the tub …

16. Proginoskes May 15th 2017 at 03:38 am 16

@ Olivier: Logically, shouldn’t Mother’s Day be nine months after Father’s Day?

Okay, that’s enough for me tonight … L H Puttgrass signing off and heading for the tub …

17. Olivier May 15th 2017 at 03:52 am 17

Proginoskes : once a year for one would be a disheartening prospect and once a year for the other would be… a disheartening prospect !

18. Dr. Shrinker May 15th 2017 at 12:08 pm 18

For me the LuAnn is a CIDU. If LuAnn forgot (which is what the comic seems to be saying), then who got the mom the flowers, gift, balloon, etc.? I know she has a brother, but he isn’t shown as being there at all. And if it was the husband, that’s his WIFE, not his mother. What gives?

19. Bob May 15th 2017 at 01:36 pm 19

Olivier - LoL!

20. JerrytheMacGuy May 16th 2017 at 01:33 am 20

The Prom couple went “Dutch”.

21. Kilby May 16th 2017 at 05:18 am 21

@ Olivier (14) - Only for you. In Germany, Mother’s Day falls on the same as in the US (2nd Sunday in May), and Father’s Day (*) is celebrated on Ascension Thursday (40 days after Easter, this year it’s May 25th).

P.S. (*) Some Germans translate “Herrentag” (**) as “Men’s Day”; one regrettable feature of the holiday is a certain amount of drunken carousing (occasionally in horse-drawn wagons with a keg).

P.P.S. (**) Literally: “the Lord’s Day”.

22. Olivier May 16th 2017 at 06:26 am 22

“In Germany, Mother’s Day falls on the same as in the US”: could this be a consequence of WWII ?
    “Some Germans translate ‘Herrentag’ (**) as ‘Men’s Day’”: when my sister was studying German in junior high, I asked her to translate “Der Herr der Ringe”(written on some game’s box) and she answered “l’homme aux bagues”(the man with rings) :)

23. Mark in Boston May 16th 2017 at 09:00 pm 23

One time in discussing a Bach chorale prelude, I absent-mindedly translated “Du Friedefürst, Herr Jesu Christ” as “Thou Prince of Peace, Mister Jesus Christ.”

24. Kilby May 17th 2017 at 04:14 am 24

@ Olivier (22) - No, Mother’s Day in Europe predates WWII by a considerable margin. The US declared the holiday in 1914, and according to Wikipedia Germany adopted it in 1923, and Austria in 1924.

25. Olivier May 17th 2017 at 06:35 am 25

“Mother’s Day in Europe predates WWII”. I know, but why put it on the same day as the US ? Was it that way from 1923 on ? Actually I have the same kind of questions about France…

26. Olivier May 17th 2017 at 09:42 am 26

Ok here goes: in the US, mother’s day is on the second Sunday of May because that’s the day the initiator’s mother died (around 1905 apparently). Germany just followed suit in 1923, like many other European countries (but neither France nor England). France didn’t because the second Sunday of May is dedicated to Joan of Arc (who certainly wasn’t a mother !).
    The last Sunday of May was chosen in 1950 but I still don’t know why : was the third Sunday already taken ? Or maybe they wanted it in May but since the law was voted on May 24th, there was no choice left. Or maybe Vincent Auriol wanted to see the Monaco Grand Prix on May 21st.