A Post Post

Cidu Bill on May 10th 2017

may10-post.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Non Sequitur, comic strips, comics, humor | 20 responses so far

20 Responses to “A Post Post”

1. Mona May 10th 2017 at 12:15 am 1

He was going to post something somewhere (Facebook or ?) and it would have been the greatest post EVER (a post to die for). But he didn’t get a chance to post it because he did actually die first. He was probably driving at the time.
    This comic is not realistic. People who post or text while driving end up in the other place.

2. Kevin A May 10th 2017 at 01:06 am 2

[I was about to ask Mona why she thought “Facebook” and that turned into why-did-I-think “Twitter”, and then “oh!”]
    Where was the “Tweeter’s Lament” caption plaque extracted from the clouds in the lower right corner of this strip (along with the email address and web site)? GoComics.com, The Washington Post, and the Seattle Times all have a complete panel. ?

3. Cidu Bill May 10th 2017 at 01:09 am 3

This is what I was sent, so I couldn’t say.

That said, I’m not sure what “Tweeter’s Lament” would have added to it.

4. James Pollock May 10th 2017 at 01:31 am 4

“Where was the “Tweeter’s Lament” caption plaque extracted from the clouds in the lower right corner of this strip (along with the email address and web site)?”

Maybe this was a screencap, and the right edge of the comic was off the edge of the screen?

“That said, I’m not sure what “Tweeter’s Lament” would have added to it.”

The caption would have helped me.

I got hung up with “post” meaning “job”, thinking the speaker wanted the job of greeter, which is, for some reason, filled by a bear.

5. Cidu Bill May 10th 2017 at 01:38 am 5

Ah. I just assumed “tweet,” but it was still a CIDU.

6. woozy May 10th 2017 at 01:50 am 6

“Tweeter’s lament” would have cleared everything up for me. I that he was talking about the secretary of the Interior post and the lifting of hunting restrictions on shouting bears while they are hibernating and somehow a bear got the position as Saint Peter and …. well, it didn’t make much sense.

With the caption, a tweeter sees a perfect post and dies trying to capture it. That’s … analyzible.

But why is a bear in charge of letting people into heaven.

7. Treesong May 10th 2017 at 01:57 am 7

My first thought was that posting that St. Ursa had taken over from St. Peter would have been a post to die for.

8. Kilby May 10th 2017 at 03:10 am 8

Wiley’s original caption (”Tweeter’s Lament”) wasn’t just cropped off, it was edited out. Comparing this image to the original, about half of the caption’s frame would have appeared in the blank space in the lower right corner. It would seem that some editor wanted to save space, and felt that the caption was superfluous. Wrong.

9. Lola May 10th 2017 at 05:33 am 9

But why is St. Peter a bear? Would a pic of this be the post to die for that he’s referencing?

10. Olivier May 10th 2017 at 05:54 am 10

People would FIGURATIVELY die for such a post but the problem is that they have to LITERALLY die for it, and once they’re dead, no more Twitter, hence the lamenting. The bear is probably a red herring : as long as something weird replaces St Peter.

11. Kilby May 10th 2017 at 06:07 am 11

Lola has it @8 ! - The post he would have been willing to die for would have been to let everyone know that a bear has taken over St. Peter’s spot at the Pearly Gates.

P.S. For those not familiar with Non Sequitur, marauding bears are one of Wiley’s running gags; this strip (March 30th) is a typical example.

12. Arseetoo May 10th 2017 at 09:20 am 12

Treesong @6: St. Ursa is indeed a major change.

13. Kevin A May 10th 2017 at 11:07 am 13

CIDU has gotten me to look up “maraud” for maybe the first time in my life; I wasn’t sure I would find anything but “marauding” in the dictionary.

Thanks for the satisfying explanation; I think I had subconsciously learned to ignore the bear(s) but Kilby’s reference had me look at the last year to see that the bears are always interested in eating someone.
    There’s even a strip where a large dog is being walked in the park and has swallowed a small leashed dog he came across (owner: “Oh, that’s just his way of saying Hello…”). The dog is colored the same and has the same hair as the bears.

14. Irene May 10th 2017 at 11:33 am 14

I saw it as the classic twist on “Is the Pope Catholic? Does a bear poop in the woods?”, meaning “Is a bear Catholic? Does the Pope…”

So, the joke would be a post confirming the LATTER when everyone already accepts the former.

15. mitch4 May 10th 2017 at 11:45 am 15

(I’m going to focus only on “post”)

I don’t remember which collection, but either “Red Tape Holds Up New Bridge” or “Squad Helps Dog Bite Victim” had a photo with caption and accompanying short article, about Mrs. So-and-so being the first woman elected to that town’s City Council. The photo is of her standing on her front lawn at home, next to an ornamental lightpost, on the crossbar of which she is resting one hand.

Photo caption: First woman to hold this post.

16. Winter Wallaby May 10th 2017 at 12:19 pm 16

I vote for the bear being a red herring, and for the explanation at Mona #1. If the post to die for is about the bear, then it would be “this would’ve.”

17. AmazingThor May 11th 2017 at 09:21 am 17

If I get to Heaven and St. Peter isn’t a bear, I will be a little disappointed

18. Brian in STL May 11th 2017 at 01:31 pm 18

“lifting of hunting restrictions on shouting bears while they are hibernating”

So the bears are shouting while hibernating? I’d post about that. But it would have be usenet.

19. Kilby May 14th 2017 at 01:01 am 19

Another bear showed up in Saturday’s Non Sequitur.

20. Meryl A May 16th 2017 at 02:55 am 20

I read it as that ironically posting that St Peter (or his equivalent) is a bear, would be a post to die for.