Sunday Funnies - May 7, 2017

Cidu Bill on May 7th 2017

hubble.PNG

nyer-pants-on-fire.PNG

retail-trump.PNG

yabba-dadda-rubes.PNG

Filed in Aryle Sweater, Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Donald Trump, Flintstones, New Yorker, Retail, Rubes, Scott Hilburn, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 19 responses so far

19 Responses to “Sunday Funnies - May 7, 2017”

1. Kilby May 7th 2017 at 12:42 am 1

Hilburn’s kaleidoscope is only slightly more ridiculous than the goofball error(s) that were actually made with the original Hubble mirror.

P.S. I’m virtually certain that the last one (Rubes) is a repeat, but I cannot find it now.

2. Minor Annoyance May 7th 2017 at 04:51 am 2

You know, like those little gag things that were supposed to show a pretty girl, but left a ring around your eye?

Come on, am I the oldest one here?

3. Bob May 7th 2017 at 07:47 am 3

MA@2 - I remember that from a M*A*S*H episode, but that era was before my time. Maybe you ARE the oldest one here.

4. Mitch4 May 7th 2017 at 08:08 am 4

As a child I knew only the kind of kaleidoscope that had built-in a set of color flakes or maybe interesting objects to provide the bit of image that would undergo multiple radial reflections. Only later (as a teen or college student associating with stoners etc) did I encounter what was called then a “reality kaleidoscope”. I don’t know the actual history or which came first for others.

So which kind is intended in this comic? Are they seeing actual astronomical objects, but in distorted /multiplied view? Or does “kaleidoscope” imply for most readers an intervening set of decorative objects?

5. Mitch4 May 7th 2017 at 08:12 am 5

Hmm, I think I recall a different Flintstones_car cartoon recently.

6. Kilby May 7th 2017 at 08:50 am 6

@ mitch4 (5) - You were exactly right: it was a different “primitive car” joke (in Bizarro - “Flintstone” was in the title, but not the tags). This Rubes had appeared that same week, and I had added a link to it in the thread’s comments @4.

7. John in Tronna May 7th 2017 at 09:00 am 7

Why does it look like a thought balloon rather than a word balloon coming from Fred?

8. Carl May 7th 2017 at 09:01 am 8

When I looked at the Rubes comic, my thought was “Why is Fred thinking his conversation with Barney? Notice that the words are in a thought bubble, not a speech balloon.

Well, maybe you didn’t notice, but I did.

9. James Pollock May 7th 2017 at 09:04 am 9

“my thought was ‘Why is Fred thinking his conversation with Barney?’”

Because he isn’t actually talking to Barney. Cell phones haven’t been invented yet.

10. Brian in STL May 7th 2017 at 01:35 pm 10

“Not seeing the caption on my screen until I clicked on the image, my first thought was the astronaut would turn the lens and end up with a charcoal ring on his faceplate while the other astronaut laughed.”

Better than the one from “Oklahoma!” Ouch.

11. Mark in Boston May 7th 2017 at 09:40 pm 11

As J.P. noted, cell phones hadn’t been invented in Fred and Barney’s time even though they had landline phones and phonographs and vacuum cleaners.

12. James Pollock May 7th 2017 at 11:12 pm 12

“Jump ahead to the Jetsons, far in the future, and … cell phones still haven’t been invented.”

Star Trek had them.. Not smart phones, though. All you could do was make phone calls. Remember when that’s all we needed a phone to do?

13. John Small Berries May 7th 2017 at 11:16 pm 13

“I remember that from a M*A*S*H episode”

I think I first learned of that particular practical joke from an episode of the animated Star Trek.

14. Boise Ed May 7th 2017 at 11:54 pm 14

mitch4 [4]: I can imagine the “reality kaleidoscope” you mention, but I only remember the flakes kind from my childhood. Amazing, I see, it was invented some 200 years ago.

15. Mark M May 8th 2017 at 09:55 am 15

Samantha is seeing Trump on the side, which is causing her relationship with Joey to end?

16. Mark M May 8th 2017 at 09:59 am 16

Comment at 9:55 is awaiting moderation? Hmm…

17. Daniel J. Drazen May 9th 2017 at 06:41 am 17

When did Fred evolve a 4th toe?

18. DSL May 18th 2017 at 02:15 pm 18

Maybe you couldn’t text or surf with a Trekkian “flip phone,” but my smartphone can’t direct-dial anything in orbit, or do much communicating of any kind without the help of a bunch of towers all over the dang place.

19. James Pollock May 18th 2017 at 02:39 pm 19

“Maybe you couldn’t text or surf with a Trekkian “flip phone,” but my smartphone can’t direct-dial anything in orbit”

Depending on the needs of that week’s script, neither could a ST communicator. However, handheld satellite phones are actually a thing you can get, if you want or need it bad enough.