It’s a Wonderbread wrapper, if that helps.

Cidu Bill on Apr 20th 2017

april20-tundra-bread.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Tundra, comic strips, comics, humor | 22 responses so far

22 Responses to “It’s a Wonderbread wrapper, if that helps.”

1. Stan Apr 20th 2017 at 02:22 am 1

Don’t witches normally live in gingerbread houses? They are usually constructed piece by piece, but this one comes in a loaf. Hollow it out, and volia. However, that’s not really ‘prefab’, but it’s the best I’ve got.

2. Minor Annoyance Apr 20th 2017 at 02:52 am 2

In terms of aesthetics and appeal to senses,
    gingerbread and frosting are to traditional home
    as _____________ is to prefab structure

a) Wonderbread
    b) Rykrisp
    c) Bubble gum included with trading cards
    d) Dehydrated mashed potatoes

3. Fluffy Bunny Slippers Apr 20th 2017 at 03:24 am 3

It’d be funnier if there was no door and she said it was being tented for termites… or whatever eats bread… children?

4. James Pollock Apr 20th 2017 at 03:37 am 4

Wonder Bread is junk food with sugar added. Not quite up to witches’ gingerbread code, but…

5. Carl Apr 20th 2017 at 05:27 am 5

@James Pollock … gingerbread has even more added sugar than Wonder Bread?. It’s a dessert. I would bet that in terms of healthy eating they’re pretty similar. Heck, Wonder Bread has added protein (on the label as “wheat gluten”).

6. James Pollock Apr 20th 2017 at 06:21 am 6

They have to fortify Wonder Bread with nutrients to replace the ones stripped away during processing.

7. DemetriosX Apr 20th 2017 at 06:32 am 7

I must spend too much time steeped in political news. My brain decided this was a joke about Joni Ernst, who along with a penchant for castrating pigs garnered some attention for claiming she wore Wonderbread bags as shoes when she was a child. Maybe I subconsciously conflated her with the woman who ran to fill Joe Biden’s seat and had to put out an ad stating that she is not a witch.

8. Daniel J. Drazen Apr 20th 2017 at 07:23 am 8

Gingerbread, Wonder Bread, so long as it’s up to code.

9. Mitch4 Apr 20th 2017 at 08:16 am 9

Some home construction around here, while never prefab as a whole, seems to have major elements, including exterior walls, that are not poured on site but shipped in, stood up, and assembled. And they’re in a protective wrapping that doesn’t come off until later, and does sort of resemble plastic food wrappers. (One prominent label is Tyvek.)

10. Mark Jackson Apr 20th 2017 at 08:39 am 10

Easy to say, #8, but when they put one of these up on *your* block you’ll be screaming bloody murder about property values.

11. James Pollock Apr 20th 2017 at 03:06 pm 11

“(One prominent label is Tyvek.)”

Tyvek is the material the sheeting is made out of. Most new home construction will feature a wrapping of Tyvek under the siding. It’s lightweight, but impermeable to water.

It was ALSO a common material to make floppy disk sleeves out of, back when floppy disks were floppy and had sleeves.

12. Boise Ed Apr 20th 2017 at 04:45 pm 12

I can’t see Hansel und Gretel being attracted to a Wonder Bread House.

DemetriosX [7]: That’s a perfectly understandable conflation.

13. Minor Annoyance Apr 20th 2017 at 05:49 pm 13

I think Drazen [8] captured the authorial intent here: GingerBREAD to WonderBREAD.

14. James Pollock Apr 20th 2017 at 06:09 pm 14

“I can’t see Hansel und Gretel being attracted to a Wonder Bread House.”

Depends on which version of the story you’re familiar with. They were being abandoned in the woods because the parents couldn’t feed them, after all. Even Wonder Bread starts to look pretty awesome if you get hungry enough.

15. B.A. Apr 20th 2017 at 06:26 pm 15

Why would the birds have eaten all the breadcrumbs Hansel dropped, if a Wonderbread house was right down the road?

16. James Pollock Apr 20th 2017 at 06:36 pm 16

“if a Wonderbread house was right down the road?”

You have the same problem with gingerbread.
    Or, you notice that THIS house still has the wrapper on.

17. Melanbunny Apr 20th 2017 at 07:35 pm 17

DemetriosX–Only rich kids have Wonderbread bag-shoes. So she really wasn’t that poor. If you’re really poor, you have generic bread shoe-bags. My family was so poor, we made our bread, so we didn’t even have any shoe-bags. :-(

18. Cidu Bill Apr 20th 2017 at 08:11 pm 18

I remember seeing actress Nancy Marchand in a Wonderbread commercial that might have been the most defensive commercial I’ve ever seen. The gist of it was that Winderbread gets an undeserved bad rap, and she gave it to her own children. I can still hear her final line: “And I love my children.”

19. Joseph K. Apr 20th 2017 at 11:00 pm 19

The “pre-fab” seems off kilter to me. Did she hollow out the center somehow? That’s not very pre-fab. I guess she didn’t have to bake the bread. Do witches bake their own ginger bread for their houses? How do they bake bread without a house? The mind boggles.

20. Mark in Boston Apr 20th 2017 at 11:29 pm 20

My family was so poor, we didn’t have feet.

21. James Pollock Apr 20th 2017 at 11:42 pm 21

“My family was so poor, we didn’t have feet.”

You must have saved a fortune on pedicures and shoeshines.

22. Mark in Boston Apr 21st 2017 at 09:14 pm 22

“You must have saved a fortune on pedicures and shoeshines.”

Yes. That’s why we are enormously wealthy now.