Yes, it’s a repeat. Still funny.

Cidu Bill on Apr 17th 2017

24.PNG

Filed in 24, Bill Amend, Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Fox Trot, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 12 responses so far

12 Responses to “Yes, it’s a repeat. Still funny.”

1. Boise Ed Apr 17th 2017 at 03:26 pm 1

How clever of you to have a photo of the terrorist base just to the left of the comic!

2. James Pollock Apr 17th 2017 at 03:40 pm 2

I’ll confess that I barely made it to the end of the first season of 24. I no longer remember the exact details, but I do remember having one “Seriously? Come ON!” moment too many as the plot contrivances unfolded.

3. Kilby Apr 17th 2017 at 04:55 pm 3

I had never heard of “24″ before looking it up just now, but it didn’t help: I still don’t think this strip was particularly funny.

4. B.A. Apr 17th 2017 at 05:51 pm 4

Kilby, how COULD it be funny if you’re not familiar with the show?

5. Christine Apr 17th 2017 at 09:12 pm 5

I’m not familiar with the show (beyond the basic premise, which Kilby would know by now), and I found the strip funny. The joke hinges on the fact that if the show is real-time, then the characters obviously are up for more than 24 hours. Familiarity with the show isn’t required.

6. Kilby Apr 18th 2017 at 04:50 am 6

Thanks to Christine @5 for revealing the crucial detail (about “24 hours in real time”), which wasn’t immediately obvious from the description that I had read before. Knowing that, I’d upgrade this strip from “Huh?” to “[chuckle]“. I wouldn’t say that it was worthy of a re-run, but since I hadn’t seen it the first time around, it doesn’t count as a rerun for me.

7. James Pollock Apr 18th 2017 at 07:45 am 7

Oh, yeah, that was one of my complaints. The story is told in real-time (one episode of the show covers exactly one hour of the story) but none of the episodes consisted of the hero, sitting in a car stuck in rush-hour traffic. There’s no circling, looking for a parking space.

Even McClain had to deal with traffic in one of the Die Hard movies (3, I think? The first one’s all in the same building, and the second one’s in an airport.)

8. Ted from Ft. Laud Apr 18th 2017 at 02:26 pm 8

Though the issue of being stuck in traffic was actually part of the plot in Die Hard, rather than just a delay - and little else besides traffic in the entire Die Hard franchise has much connection to reality. (Actually, as I remember it, how they dealt with the traffic really didn’t connect to reality either.)

9. James Pollock Apr 18th 2017 at 03:36 pm 9

” little else besides traffic in the entire Die Hard franchise has much connection to reality.”

Right. So if even THEY could deal with it…

(There’s lots of compromises of realism in filmed entertainment, of course… the Law & Order detectives didn’t spend much onscreen time stuck in traffic, or looking for a parking space, either… but in that case, they just skipped over the boring sitting in traffic listening to the radio part and jumped to them pulling into a parking space right in front of the building they were going into. You know what else is missing from L&O? That pesky year or two between the arrest being made and the trial. On the show, they arrest the guy right before a commercial break, and then after the commercial the trial is getting started. When they’re called to testify in the trial, the detectives remember all the details because they haven’t handled 300 other cases since arresting the guy currently on trial.

But 24 made a big deal of the “real-time” gimmick, without really committing to it. Through like 9 seasons, I bet Jack never once had to spend 15 minutes dropping a number two. OK, well, that’s only a little over a week, really. The Starship Enterprise left on a FIVE YEAR MISSION with no bathrooms on board. (Maybe they used he transporters for that?)

10. James Schend Apr 19th 2017 at 03:46 pm 10

I didn’t watch 24 but someone told me if you binge-watch it, one of the female stars takes something like 4 showers in 6 hours. And that made me laugh.

11. Cidu Bill Apr 19th 2017 at 05:47 pm 11

James (9), did you notice how some episodes began with longer “previously” sections than others? That actually depended on Jack’s… requirements.

12. James Pollock Apr 19th 2017 at 06:15 pm 12

“did you notice how some episodes began with longer “previously” sections than others?”

No. I literally can’t remember any details of the plot. But I know that driving ANYWHERE in Los Angeles takes 2 hours. I’ve SEEN a real-time show about driving in L.A. It was called “famous former football player drives home.”