What in God’s name is this cartoon trying to say???

Cidu Bill on Apr 13th 2017

united.PNG

(in case you don’t know the underlying news story)

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, United, comics, political cartoon, political cartoons | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to “What in God’s name is this cartoon trying to say???”

1. furrykef Apr 13th 2017 at 05:00 am 1

That United Airlines’ handling of that customer was so rough, even ISIS is afraid of them?

(Or at least that’s the popular version of the story. It was the police who was rough with them, not UA.)

2. Fluffy Bunny Slippers Apr 13th 2017 at 06:00 am 2

Yes, this is exactly what i picture when i think middle eastern terror groups and united airlines and not, say, 9/11.

I think furrykef @1 is right on the intent though. It is just in poor taste.

3. Bob in Nashville Apr 13th 2017 at 07:29 am 3

One could make a stretch and say that corporatists consider the paying customers that corporations mistreat as terrorists for complaining.

But that’s a stretch looking for offense to take. Furrrykef got it right @1.

4. Irene Apr 13th 2017 at 09:43 am 4

THAT was the laugh I needed today!

5. lihtox Apr 13th 2017 at 09:52 am 5

I don’t know who the cartoonist is, but I’m rather afraid it means “United’s attitude towards furriners is exactly the sort of gumption we need to defeat ISIS.”

6. Wendy Apr 13th 2017 at 11:30 am 6

I’m pretty sure I heard someone (late night host maybe?) making a joke about sending United to remove Bashir al-Assad from Syria. I think this is intended in the same vein.

7. Ted from Ft. Laud Apr 13th 2017 at 11:51 am 7

Along the lines of furrykef, I took it as - if United is that rough on an innocent paying passenger, the ISIS person doesn’t want to wait around to see how they would treat him.

8. joel hanes Apr 13th 2017 at 11:58 am 8

This cartoon is saying
    “The cartoonist is an unredeemed racist and authoritarian, who cannot tell the difference between a medical doctor of VietNamese extraction and a Muslim Arab theocratic terrorist”

Dr. Dao suffered a sever concussion, a broken nose, crushing damage to the bones over his sinuses, and lost two front teeth.
    That makes the cartoonist proud and happy.

9. James Schend Apr 13th 2017 at 12:01 pm 9

I think the message is: “oh crap, my deadline’s in 5 minutes and I don’t have ANYTHING yet…”

10. lihtox Apr 13th 2017 at 12:26 pm 10

Who is the cartoonist, anyway?

11. James Pollock Apr 13th 2017 at 01:49 pm 11

I think Ted has the INTENDED interpretation.

Although the tough guys weren’t, technically, from United, they were Chicago police.

The real message of the actual events is “even if your papers ARE in order, if the cops decide to rough you up, your up WILL get roughed.”

12. Winter Wallaby Apr 13th 2017 at 01:50 pm 12

I don’t think the joke (such as it is) is based on agreeing (or disagreeing) with what United did. As furrykef said, it’s saying that it’s treatment of passengers is so rough that even ISIS would be afraid. Whether United should have been that rough with a (non-ISIS) passenger is separate from the joke.

13. Mark M Apr 13th 2017 at 04:29 pm 13

14. Cidu Bill Apr 13th 2017 at 04:42 pm 14

Well, it shouldn’t be any more difficult than it was to get all bank robbers to dress like this:

15. James Pollock Apr 13th 2017 at 05:02 pm 15

“Now if only we could get the terrorists to wear clothing that clearly spells out that they are part of ISIS, they would be a lot easier to catch.”

Well, you know, they look all Muslim-y.

16. Todd Apr 13th 2017 at 05:27 pm 16

I clicked on the news link on my tablet, and some pop up filled the screen with no X to click. So I couldn’t read the story. of course, if there’s nothing more than “guy got bumped after boarding, didn’t want to go, got pulled off in handcuffs”, then there’s no point in reading the story. Hope this hurts United more than the Note 7 hurt Samsung.

17. John Small Berries Apr 16th 2017 at 11:41 am 17

Todd@16, yeah, pretty much - he was threatened with handcuffs if he didn’t deplane to make room for someone who was “more important” than he was. But he stood his ground, and was permitted to remain on the plane - but he had to give up his first-class seat and travel amongst the common people, between a husband and wife who were arguing.

Which, if you’re rich, is apparently even worse than a concussion, broken nose, and two missing front teeth.

18. Boise Ed Apr 16th 2017 at 06:01 pm 18

THey weren’t even regular Chicago police; they were O’Hare Airport police. I think I heard that two of them got fired. If I were on the UAL board, I’d be looking askance at a CEO who first was appalled, then said he backed his employees for doing the right thing, then was appalled again, then backed them again, then re-read the tea leaves and was appalled again. He apparently never noticed that United had three more flights to Louisville that evening, and there were 2 or 3 on other airlines.