Okay, it’s fine that editorial cartoonists are having fun with this now…

Cidu Bill on Apr 13th 2017

united2.gif

… but if we see the same gag in comic strips the second week in May, then no.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Mike Peters, United, comics, editorial cartoons, humor | 9 responses so far

9 Responses to “Okay, it’s fine that editorial cartoonists are having fun with this now…”

1. Mitch4 Apr 14th 2017 at 03:21 am 1

Yes, it has been kind of scattershot.

2. Proginoskes Apr 14th 2017 at 03:39 am 2

A few days later, a United passenger got a scorpion dumped on him/her, when a case in the luggage rack came open. Not a good month to fly United.

(Arlo joke: The newlyweds wanted to fly United, but the pilot wouldn’t let them.)

3. farmer Apr 14th 2017 at 09:39 am 3

This is a CIDU for me. The only gag I can see is that the woman is so unaware of uniforms that she mistakes a pilot for a military officer. Besides being weak, what does that have to do with recent events? The military were in no way involved.

4. mike smith Apr 14th 2017 at 11:46 am 4

farmer: I think the emphasis of the “joke” is on the force part.

5. guero Apr 14th 2017 at 03:45 pm 5

Amen to that, Proginoskes! Last Tuesday I flew United in what was supposed to be San Antonio (SAT) to Houston (IAH) to L.A. (LAX) to Lihue, Kaua’i (LIH), which normally takes about 12 hours depending on layovers. It turned into SAT to IAH to unscheduled landing in Austin with 3 hour layover to LAX. Missed my connection in LAX (even though it was originally the same equipment in both legs), spent the night in L.A. and flew to San Francisco (SFO) the next morning to catch a flight to LIH. Unscheduled maintenance delayed the SFO to LIH flight for another 3 hours. Finally got to LIH 30 hours, give or take, after leaving home. I was supposed to fly back at 9:00p last night, but the flight was delayed until noon today. That means it gets into LAX too late to make any connections to SAT, and I spend another night in LAX. Or I spend the extra day in Hawaii, fly out at 9:00p tonight and catch the same flight from LAX to SAT. Guess which option I chose. But now, the 9:00p flight is already listed as leaving at 12:30a tomorrow. We’ll see if I ever get out of here. I know, I know, I can hear you - “poor quero, trapped in Hawaii.” Yeah, I feel about the same way.

6. James Pollock Apr 14th 2017 at 05:46 pm 6

“I can hear you - “poor quero, trapped in Hawaii.” Yeah, I feel about the same way.”

My ex-wife relocated to Hawaii, meaning that my daughter had parental visitation in Hawaii. She hated it.

One trip, mom and daughter flew from Hilo to Honolulu, for daughter’s return trip to the mainland. They dawdled at the security screening, and missed putting daughter on flight home. Ex-wife is broke, meaning A) no money to pay airline reschedule fee to put daughter on later flight, and B) no money to stay in Honolulu until (after dad paid the rebooking fee) next available seat, two days later.

That wasn’t even the worst travel experience she had. Ex-wife relocated from Hawaii to West Virginia, meaning daughter has parental visitation in same. There is no airport there, mom decided to book daughter on flight to Charlotte and drive to pick her up. Daughter arrives in Charlotte to find ice storm has closed all the highways in NC. Daughter in one state, mom in next state over, dad back home three time zones away.

7. Boise Ed Apr 16th 2017 at 02:12 am 7

Prog [2]: OMG. And that was the same day as the dragging incident.

And is it Guero [5] or Quero? I see both.

8. guero Apr 16th 2017 at 12:01 pm 8

It’s guero, not sure where that q came from. And I am happy to report that I made it back, although I had to sprint to make the connection, even though he original booking supposedly had a four hour layover. We touched down with 40 minutes to spare, and then literally drove around in circles on the tarmac for 25 minutes waiting for a gate to free up.

9. Meryl A Apr 19th 2017 at 12:29 am 9

Makes one glad that Robert suffers from motion illness and trips are limited to 6hr per day of his driving (occasional he can do 8 hrs - this time limit is due to his getting tired from driving, not the motion illness - but the fact that I cannot take over the driving is due to his motion illness. He can usually deal with local mass transit trains if he sits/stands facing forward and it does not jerk or bounce much - the green line in Boston did him in due to the odor from the train’s fuel and the bouncing and the line we went on in Philly for a few stops one trip did the same. No buses, no planes, no extended trains. When we go to Colonial Williamsburg there is a bus to take one from the visitors center to the historic area and around same - we walk and the uphill walk around the swamp can make me need to stop and catch my breath sometimes on a hot day. (We estimate we walk around 10 miles a day when at CW.) We have not been able to go to DC since the bedbugs. There are an assortment of places - DC, Philly, Boston, that we can no longer go to since we have the RV as the train ride or the bus ride from the TV park would be too much for for him.