What happens in Funky Winkerbean stays in Funky Winkerbean

Cidu Bill on Mar 17th 2017

chess-club.PNG
Is he just confusing “The first rule of Fight Club…” with “What happen in Vegas…”?

Filed in Bill Bickel, Fight Club, Funky Winkerbean, Tom Batiuk, comic strips, comics | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “What happens in Funky Winkerbean stays in Funky Winkerbean”

1. BeckoningChasm Mar 17th 2017 at 05:35 pm 1

Funky Winkerbean has been on a downward spiral for some time. The first thing to go were the jokes; now, when they show up in the strip, they appear stunted and malnourished. “Is that a joke? It doesn’t look like one” is the most common response.

2. Pete Mar 17th 2017 at 05:40 pm 2

Didn’t you swear to stop reading this strip years ago after one cancer story too many?

3. Cidu Bill Mar 17th 2017 at 06:53 pm 3

Pete, I came across this strip randomly. I’m not even sure who’s alive and who’s dead in Funkytown at this point, though I suspect by now Les has won his third Nobel Prize for his series of Lisa biographies.

4. John Small Berries Mar 17th 2017 at 09:38 pm 4

I was learning to draw both modern and classic FW styles, because I had in mind a parody where Funky, Les, and Crazy Harry went back in time and met their teenage selves.

Then, right when I felt I was probably good enough to do it, Batiuk went and did a story where Funky went back in time (or dreamed he did, in a coma) and met his teenage self, the [word that would undoubtedly get this thrown into moderation].

I was so disgruntled, I quit reading it, and now only see it when it appears here or on the Comics Curmudgeon’s site.

5. Daniel J. Drazen Mar 18th 2017 at 06:51 am 5

Mash-up, because chess club geeks have a hard enough time getting cred.

6. Mitch4 Mar 18th 2017 at 09:04 am 6

I never read it in the old days, so hardly recognize these codgers in their occasional teenage reappearance. I did see and rather enjoy the original Napoleon Dynamite movie, but have been told I’m decades off in imagining that gives any of the flavor of old-style Funky.

7. Mitch4 Mar 18th 2017 at 09:06 am 7

Oh, but I also meant to ask, is that where the expression “Cool Beans” came from?

8. John Small Berries Mar 18th 2017 at 04:34 pm 8

Mitch4: Behold, the flavor of old-style Funky.

Okay, that’s unfair; it’s not really representative of Classic Funky, but one that I sent in as a CIDU years ago (though it never showed up here on the site. Which I just discovered was probably because I cleverly forgot to attach the actual image to my email to Bill).

Anyway, the majority of the strips were mostly single-shot bad puns or absurdities (e.g. Crazy Harry lived in his school locker, which we never saw the inside of, but it was large enough to have its own bathroom). And the high school’s mainframe computer was a huge Star Trek fan, and required the staff to wear Starfleet uniforms in order to communicate with it. And the characters were aware that they were in a comic strip, and broke the fourth wall frequently.

For some reason, all the modern strip’s flashbacks to those days have completely eliminated the whimsy which characterized the classic strip (which was actually going to be the main theme of my little fanfic-comic).

9. Minor Annoyance Mar 19th 2017 at 01:06 am 9

An amateur tries to make it funnier:
    “What happens in Chess Club, stays in Chess Club.”
    “You can’t talk about it?”
    “We talk about it all the time. But nobody listens.”

10. James Pollock Mar 19th 2017 at 01:15 am 10

“An amateur tries to make it funnier:”

Please don’t think I’m stepping on your toes, but…

“What happens in Chess Club, stays in Chess Club.”
    “So the first rule of Chess Club is you do not talk about Chess Club?”
    “No, it’s just that nobody else cares.”

11. Boise Ed Mar 19th 2017 at 04:45 am 11

Mitch4 [7]: I’m pretty sure I remember “cool beans” from high-school days in the 1960s. There’s an interesting speculation here.

12. Minor Annoyance Mar 19th 2017 at 05:31 am 12

JP: Your version is funnier (mutter mutter).

13. James Pollock Mar 19th 2017 at 01:46 pm 13

“JP: Your version is funnier (mutter mutter).”

If I have joked further than others, it is only because I was standing on the back of a giant.

14. Captain Tact Mar 24th 2017 at 12:24 am 14

Friend of mine teaches in a local district and the chess club sold t-shirts as a fundraiser:

“The four rules of Chess Club:
    1 Don’t talk about Chess Club
    2 Don’t talk about Chess Club
    3 Don’t talk about Chess Club
    4 No outside food or beverages”

Which is medium-dumb, but seems funnier than the comic.

15. larK Mar 24th 2017 at 12:51 am 15