Sunday Funnies: March 12, 2017

speed-target.PNG

nyer-why-i-killed-him.PNG

Boise Ed:

loose-parts-boise-ed.gif

Mitch4:

mitchel-marks-bizarro-cone.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Dave Blazek, Loose Parts, New Yorker, Speed Bump, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 17 responses so far

17 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: March 12, 2017”

1. Cidu Bill Mar 12th 2017 at 12:18 am 1

This might be the answer to the second one:

2. Pirk Mar 12th 2017 at 12:49 am 2

is BEK part of the joke, or is it the cartoonist’s signature?

3. Cidu Bill Mar 12th 2017 at 01:19 am 3

Cartoonist’s signature.

4. Proginoskes Mar 12th 2017 at 03:29 am 4

Just like the ice cream cone is one of Piraro’s things.

5. Proginoskes Mar 12th 2017 at 03:30 am 5

I’ll give you my cannon when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

6. Kilby Mar 12th 2017 at 05:58 am 6

@ Proginoskes (4) - I wasn’t aware of ice cream cones as a repeating theme, and I’m sure it’s not an Easter egg (there’s dynamite on the jacket, and they eyeball in the lower left corner).

7. Mitch4 Mar 12th 2017 at 10:30 am 7

The Flattop haircut has become so uncommon IRL, the silhouetted figure with that cut suggests Dilbert!

As Bill answers at #3, the BEK is the cartoonist’s signature. It’s worth noting Bruce Eric Kaplan is well known in other media, in particular as a writer and producer for TV.

8. Grawlix Mar 12th 2017 at 12:02 pm 8

That signature is just too distracting. I too wondered whether it was part of the joke.

Is the joke simply the humdrum absurdity of the murder and the fact she can’t remember why she did it?

9. Brian Mar 12th 2017 at 12:10 pm 9

I believe that is not dynamite, but a firecracker. Hence the FC-FC, or firecracker football club.

10. Boise Ed Mar 12th 2017 at 07:28 pm 10

Brian [9]: Piraro himself calls it “The Dynamite of Boom (a.k.a. the Firecracker of Pop).”

I thought #1, #3, and #4 were funny.right down to the chlorofluorocarbon soccer team.

11. Mark in Boston Mar 12th 2017 at 09:04 pm 11

Cidu Bill [1]: Symphony Hall!

12. Proginoskes Mar 13th 2017 at 03:24 am 12

@ Kilby [6]: That’s because it’s not. For some reason, I thought it was … That must have been someone else.

13. Ted from Ft. Laud Mar 13th 2017 at 04:20 am 13

Not thrilled with the Loose Parts - IMO it seems not that novel a take on a pretty old joke.

14. Heather Mar 14th 2017 at 07:57 am 14

Cidu Bill: All the Points for the Kristin Chenoweth awesomeness. :D :D

15. Meryl A Mar 15th 2017 at 12:16 am 15

A cannon which matches the clothing of the person firing it take a crew and cannot safely be done by less than a minimum of 3 in the crew. 6 being a full crew. I know - I have fired our unit’s reproduction cannon a number of times. We used to fire it at Boomer Eaison NYC all star high school football team vs. a LI ditto. I would fill in when we were short crew and they figured I could make the least trouble firing it. We did one event at which we were doing a raid on Long Island. The location was on 3 different levels, with the battle on the beach on the bottom level. We are a small unit and the plan was for me to command an all female cannon crew and fire the cannon during the battle from the top level - the idea was not to have an anachronistic female crew, but rather since we would be unseen to the public when firing it would sound like there were more men in the battle. Unfortunately the camp was so busy before the before the battle we did not have a chance to run through the firing with the female crew and the idea was dropped as it was too unsafe to do it without at least one run through first.

16. Meryl A Mar 15th 2017 at 12:18 am 16

Robert would love the clam shell opener. He has so much trouble with same.

17. Meryl A Mar 22nd 2017 at 02:42 am 17

Just noticed going past the strips again to check replies to last weeks post -

The fellow to the left of the cannon had better move before the cannon is fired - and perhaps a few others. There is a large triangular area that the cannon firing affects - not sure of the technical term, but the proper way to have safety when firing at an event is to hold two ropes, each attached to a wheel on the cannon (one left wheel, one right) on the proper angle and no one can be within the triangle - we work with the “everyone watch from behind the cannon” idea.