Nighthawks

Cidu Bill on Mar 9th 2017

march09-hopper.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Edward Hopper, New Yorker, Nighthawks, art, comics, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Nighthawks”

1. Dave Van Domelen Mar 9th 2017 at 12:59 am 1

One wonders HOW she left…there’s no doors. (Reportedly, when asked about the symbolism of this, Hopper cussed up a storm about how he’d forgotten to put doors on something AGAIN.)

2. Kevin A Mar 9th 2017 at 01:58 am 2

Among other things, I study and dance Argentine Tango for a hobby, because it requires me to learn how to do multiple (well over 15) things at the same time, and inform my partner so subtly that its almost telepathic, the path she should take, by the torsions and pivots and steps forward, and steps sideways, and steps backwards, that will allow her to express her feelings and musings through movement without running into anybody.
    I mention that because I won a raffle at a tango dance that resulted in me having free tickets to an Edward Hopper exhibit at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) a while back.
    I went hoping against hope that Nighthawks would be there and it was (pretty cool). What astounded me was his paintings of seaside houses, almost all of which were a bright white. It was like I was out on the sunny hills myself with the Sun’s reflection filling my eyes.
    The museum had left out a copy of their Edward Hopper book of paintings. This meticulous book of paintings didn’t come close to reproducing the glare of the half to a dozen paintings in the exhibit. It was then that I realized how unique an experience it is to see a great painting in person. I don’t know how to describe the sensation; I can only tell you I went back and forth between the book and the wall and never could figure out how or why the book was not reproducing what the paintings were doing to me.

I’m happy that I can be complete in saying again that standing right in front of “Nighthawks” was cool.

3. Mona Mar 9th 2017 at 02:27 am 3

Kevin, thanks for the story! I have always wanted to Tango, maybe some day I will learn. And I agree that there is nothing like seeing art in person. I will never forget the feeling that came over me when I saw The Pietà.

4. Minor Annoyance Mar 9th 2017 at 02:29 am 4

The Mr. Boffo strip had Hopper with his easel painting the painting, while the counter man says to the customers, “I keep telling him to come on Saturday nights when the joint is jumping.”

5. Olivier Mar 9th 2017 at 04:41 am 5

It looks like a mash-up of two things :
    “My girl left me”: classic situation ;
    “My girl left for another Edward Hopper painting”: instead of leaving for LA, maybe she went to one of the many lonely-woman-gazing-in-void paintings by Hopper.

6. Kamino Neko Mar 9th 2017 at 08:59 am 6

Maybe she’s the lady from Automat.

7. Andréa Mar 9th 2017 at 09:02 am 7

Kevin @2: . . . and my feelings coming out of an elevator directly in front of Picasso’s Guernica (which I hadn’t realized was on exhibit), and soon after, Caillebotte’s La Place de l’Europe, at the Art Institute of Chicago, and the Dutch Masters at the Rijksmuseum, A’dam.

Your description of the difference between seeing ‘the real thing’ and reproductions is so true; even in the best of the books (usually published by Abrams), it just ain’t the same as the real thing.

8. Kevin A Mar 9th 2017 at 02:07 pm 8

The special exhibit also had a selection of Edward Hopper etchings. :-)

9. Grawlix Mar 10th 2017 at 02:03 am 9

There have been numerous tributes to the painting done:

Full-sized installation in New York’s Flatiron Building to promote an Edward Hopper exhibit at the Whitney art museum. http://www.designboom.com/art/edward-hoppers-nighthawks-recreated-as-3d-pop-up-installation/

In Family Guy guise https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d4/87/c8/d487c8f1be5a8beec41f971c25622eec.jpg

LEGO https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fe/8f/e9/fe8fe9a8b3acb8969dcdcc6544584e84.jpg

Here a model railroad enthusiast describes a new project involving an adaptation of Night Hawks, as inspired by an earlier miniature adaptation. http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/and-now-for-something-completely-different-1

Some interesting behind-the-scenes info behind the painting plus also various tributes and parodies. http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Nighthawks

10. zbicyclist Mar 10th 2017 at 08:52 am 10

11. Lord Jubjub Mar 10th 2017 at 05:09 pm 11

Speaking of seeing art in person, when I was stationed in Europe, I had a chance to spend a day in the Louvre. The Mona Lisa really didn’t impress me but Liberty Leading the People (La Liberté guidant le peuple) did.

To the previous references to Nighthawks add Boulevard of Broken Dreams

12. Ian D Osmond Mar 12th 2017 at 07:50 pm 12

How many people can think of any other Hopper painting besides Nighthawks? I know I’ve seen (reproductions of) others, and liked them, but, off the top of my head, the only Hopper painting I’d expect to see referenced in a comic would be this one.

It’s amusing because the painting is recognizable enough that even the people in the painting have seen it enough to know it’s a Hopper painting. I thought it was cute, anyway.

13. Meryl A Mar 15th 2017 at 12:58 am 13

The painting was even imitated in “The Sting”.