Cidu Bill on Mar 9th 2017

47.PNG

Seriously, isn’t this guy old enough to know not to needlessly piss off the guy who’s preparing his food?

Filed in Barney & Clyde, Bill Bickel, comic strips, comics, humor | 48 responses so far

48 Responses to “47”

1. Ted from Ft. Laud Mar 9th 2017 at 07:14 pm 1

Well, I’m at little confused by the whole thing. This is obviously a Jewish deli (chopped liver on rye), so why are there dry salamis hanging? (The only salamis I’ve ever seen at a Jewish deli need to be in the refrigerated case.) Secondly, is that guy old enough to be behind the counter of such a place? He doesn’t necessarily need to be an alte kocker, but older than that (and not named Tom). Finally, at any decent deli I’ve been to, the guy behind the counter wouldn’t get exasperated at a customer with attitude - he’d just respond with even more attitude…

2. larK Mar 9th 2017 at 07:20 pm 2

They require a name, but then they are all totally incapable of dealing with even the most straightforward name; my wife has long ago adopted a “Panera Name” of “Maria” — and they have screwed even THAT up!

He should have referred to the clerk as “Tim” in the third panel…

3. Ted from Ft. Laud Mar 9th 2017 at 07:20 pm 3

Moderation - and I didn’t even (re)use the word “pi$$”. Maybe wordpress understands Yiddish and rejected alte kocker?

4. PeterW Mar 9th 2017 at 07:32 pm 4

I would really rather have a number.

One time at Jack in the Box, the clerk asked me for my name, had trouble understanding me, we went for a few rounds and then when I thought she’d understood “Peter”, I found that my receipt said “Getter”.

5. larK Mar 9th 2017 at 07:33 pm 5

Peter: I rest my case.

6. James Pollock Mar 9th 2017 at 07:53 pm 6

Remember when people would complain about being referred to as a number rather than by name?

7. Ted from Ft. Laud Mar 9th 2017 at 08:34 pm 7

larK - whenever I call in an order to a pizza place, etc., I give my name as “Ted” - it happens to be my name and doesn’t seem too complex. They never get it right. Ken is common, sometimes Tim, once Bev. At this point, if they have my food, I’ll answer to anything…

8. James Pollock Mar 9th 2017 at 08:47 pm 8

Listen Ted, Ken called… he’s really angry that you keep taking his pizza orders.

9. Mary McNeil Mar 9th 2017 at 09:23 pm 9

The character giving the deli guy a hard time IS a real A.K. in the strip, so he’s just happy to be making a hemorrhoid of himself.

10. larK Mar 9th 2017 at 10:21 pm 10

11. B.A. Mar 9th 2017 at 11:37 pm 11

The Panera I go to doesn’t ask my name, but uses the first name on my credit card. I’m not sure what they’d do if I were still using my father’s credit card (I’m Barbara)

12. James Pollock Mar 9th 2017 at 11:40 pm 12

No matter how many times I hear that song, I still hear “secret Asian man”.

13. larK Mar 9th 2017 at 11:43 pm 13

James @ 12: I thought that was just me!

14. Cidu Bill Mar 9th 2017 at 11:44 pm 14

LarK (10), when I was in 8th grade on 1968, they assigned everybody in the grade a number (an experiment they dropped by mid-year). Thanks to being a Bickel, I was Number 6 and yes, every time I was referred to in that way, in my mind I was happily shouting I AM NOT A NUMBER, I WAS A FREE MAN!

Never out loud, though, because I had better ways of being disruptive that year (remember that discussion about kids having their mouths taped shut?)

15. Stan Mar 9th 2017 at 11:53 pm 15

JP @ 12 ‘Smoky Walter! Fire engine guy!’ is my fave supposedly misheard lyric. I heard the story of this misheard line when I was a kid from friends of mine who swore they witnessed one of our buddies make this goof at a bar, but when I punched it into google, the same story appeared like a million times. Even if it’s an urban myth, I love it.

16. James Pollock Mar 10th 2017 at 12:07 am 16

’scuse me, while I kiss this guy. I heard the correct lyric at first, then someone told this is what they heard, and now I hear that.

17. Andréa Mar 10th 2017 at 12:21 am 17

18. Mark in Boston Mar 10th 2017 at 12:46 am 18

What will happen if there’s someone else named Mark at the coffee shop?

19. James Pollock Mar 10th 2017 at 02:06 am 19

20. Fluffy Bunny Slippers Mar 10th 2017 at 03:36 am 20

I enjoy how the conversation evolved in a very logical way from discussing names in restaurants into mondegreens : )

Also, I still haven’t gotten brave enough to just tell them that my name is Godzilla or something to see how they react… alas, tis my everlasting shame.

21. Olivier Mar 10th 2017 at 03:45 am 21

My name is Sir.

22. Proginoskes Mar 10th 2017 at 04:51 am 22

@ James Pollock (12): I heard it as “secret age in a man” for a while.

@ Mark in Boston (18): My first name is Chris, so there could be women with my name, in addition to other men. I use my middle name in that case.

23. zbicyclist Mar 10th 2017 at 08:48 am 23

The “My Panera” card is in my wife’s name. But when they originally entered it, they misspelled it. So I have to answer to Dobora.

But this is an improvement over answering to my real name (Mike), which is far too common among those born in the 1950s and 1960s. Very few Doboras.

24. padraig Mar 10th 2017 at 09:45 am 24

“Bob.”
    “Sir, there are two other Bob’s ahead of you.”
    “Bob the Third.”

25. billytheskink Mar 10th 2017 at 12:17 pm 25

My dad always used “Hungry” when asked his name for orders or if waiting for a table at a restaurant.

He would often get (typically amused) pushback, “no, what is it really?”, and would reply that he would answer to “Hungry” and asked why it mattered if would answer to the name he gave.

26. Onnie Mar 10th 2017 at 12:26 pm 26

That’s my real name, Onnie. Got a clue how to pronounce it? Unless you’re Finnish, you’re saying it wrong. When I go to any cafe or coffee shop that asks for my name, I’m Nick. They can usually get that one.

27. James Pollock Mar 10th 2017 at 01:10 pm 27

“That’s my real name, Onnie. Got a clue how to pronounce it?”

How close was Johnny?

28. Winter Wallaby Mar 10th 2017 at 01:18 pm 28

FSB #20: I like how the conversation evolved in a way where I got to learn a new word: “mondegreen”

For the longest time, I didn’t know that “Bei Mir Bistu Shein” was Yiddish, since in the versions that I heard, all the lines after that were in English. I parsed it as “Come here, Mr. Shane,” which seems like a crazy mishearing, but I’ve met someone else who had the exact same mishearing.

29. Treesong Mar 10th 2017 at 02:04 pm 29

@Onnie 26: ohn - nee - ay?

30. Big Chief Mar 10th 2017 at 06:03 pm 30

Buy Me A Beer, Mister Shane

31. Cidu Bill Mar 10th 2017 at 06:09 pm 31

I know I’m not the only person who was surprised to hear Madonna sing “I fell in love with a bagel.”

Though I suppose she was a bit kinky back in the day…

32. Terrence Feenstra Mar 10th 2017 at 07:24 pm 32

Inspiration! From now on my answer to that question will be, “Bill Bickel.”

33. Boise Ed Mar 10th 2017 at 07:30 pm 33

I find that my name, with only two phonemes, is sometimes hard to hear on low-res PA systems, so I sometimes tell them my name is Seymour or Stanislaus.

Ted [3]: So, could rock star Joe Cocker be mistaken for jazz guitarist Joe Pass?

larK, your second URL is what I was about to post. You are Number 10.

Onnie, are you in Finland? I’ll be travelling there in August.

And as long as I’m off-topic here, I’d like to point James P. to the law-school commentary here.

34. Cidu Bill Mar 10th 2017 at 08:21 pm 34

So, Terrence Feenstra (32), not only will I be getting somebody else’s e-mail, I’ll now be getting somebody else’s Panera sandwiches!

35. Molly J Mar 11th 2017 at 08:44 am 35

Stan - I always thought it was “Slow Motion Walter, fire engine guy.”

My favorite misheard lyric is from the Pretenders “Middle of the Road.” I still swear Chrissie Hynde says “I’m standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me.”

36. Andréa Mar 11th 2017 at 09:13 am 36

@12 . . . synchronicity. So I’d read the comments from the first day; later that same day, as I was putting gas in my car, the speaker (yes, they now have radio speakers OUTside at the gas station) played . . . wait for it . . . Secret Agent Man. Hadn’t heard this song in YEARS. And of course, I now hear it as ‘Secret Asian Man’.

37. Terrence Feenstra Mar 12th 2017 at 08:43 am 37

Maybe so, Bill. But it is, in its way, a small price to pay for not being called Perry or Jerry. And as for my last name, 8 out of 10 people can look at it in black and white in front of their noses and come up with either Finkster or Feenstrum. I will admit that it bothers me, a little.

38. Kilby Mar 12th 2017 at 11:54 am 38

There was a CIDU thread about “mondegreens” several years back, in which I mentioned a series of (German) books on the subject called “Der Weiße Neger Wumbaba“. I had hoped to find an English description on Amazon, but no - since they’re in German, Amazon obviously figured that it wasn’t worth translating their blurbs, and exported them from DE to COM unchanged.

39. Ted from Ft. Laud Mar 12th 2017 at 04:57 pm 39

Boise Ed @ 33 - well, “cocker” (or “cacker”, or “cakah”, or… - but I think we went far enough down that rabbit hole back in December) is literally “sh1tter” (deriving from the same etymology as “caca” and such, which apparently ultimately(?) comes from Greek), so probably not Joe Pass…

40. Stan Mar 13th 2017 at 02:07 am 40

Molly - “I always thought it was “Slow Motion Walter, fire engine guy.””

Yea, I came across that one while researching my friend’s story too. You’re not alone in your previous misheard lyricness, or mondegreenesity. Still, I like ‘Smokey Walter’ ‘cus, you know…he’s a fire engine guy. He seems likely to be smokey, despite lacking a requisite syllable for the song.

41. Stan Mar 13th 2017 at 02:28 am 41

“That’s my real name, Onnie.”

I’ve got a clue. I lived in Turku for three years. Grillimakkara! Yum!

42. Meryl A Mar 15th 2017 at 12:56 am 42

Wendys in their redone or partially redone restaurants want your name for the order. Robert says I should not tell them,similar to the comic, that my name is 347.

On the other hand - we eat lunch at a specific Wendy’s a lot - generally 4 days a week. (Lunch for $3 plus tax - too good for husband to pass up.) There is an African American man working there, we are not sure if he is a manager, who is very conscientious - he comes around and offers to take away trays when one is sitting after eating, etc. Robert gives his name as Robert. The man has taken to calling him “Mr. Robert”, which is why I mention his race - it seems just wrong for him to call husband this - too 1800s reminiscent, but we don’t know what to say to him. One day he passed me while I was going to the soda machine and greeted me “Hello, Mrs. Robert.”

43. Hank G. Mar 19th 2017 at 03:23 pm 43

@42, Since you eat there a lot, and the man has a good memory, why not smile and say, “My name is Meryl.”?

44. B.A. Mar 19th 2017 at 05:52 pm 44

But then he’d probably start calling her “Miss Meryl,” which would be considerably worse.

45. Dave in Boston Mar 19th 2017 at 07:39 pm 45

Google brought it to my attention today, when I was looking for something else, that there’s a Capitol Steps version indeed called “Secret Asian Man”. Don’t know anything about it, though.

46. guero Mar 20th 2017 at 12:07 am 46

There is this vegetarian fast food place I go to here in San Antonio (I know, who’d have thought?), but when you order take out, they bring your order out to you, and address you by name. I was taken aback the first time, because they did not ask for a name when taking the order, but there it is on the ticket stapled to the bag (just the first name.) I’m going to pay in cash one of these days, to see if they have to ask for a name then.

47. Boise Ed Mar 20th 2017 at 01:31 am 47

DiB [45]: The Capitol Steps do political satire, often based on known music. In this case, they put their own words to “Secret Agent Man.”

guero [46]: I’ve known restaurant waitresses to do that, apparently getting my name from the card. Personally, I find it a little invasive, and I rarely call a name tag-wearing waitress by her name unless she speaks it first. Sometimes they’ll call me “Mister Surname” instead, and that seems fine. Perhaps I’m just an old fuddy-duddy that way.

48. Meryl A Mar 20th 2017 at 03:22 am 48

Ok, I will be blunt and unpolitically correct. The problem we have with him calling us this is our discomfort at him using a form of address used in the south by slaves and later by their descendants to white people.

He is, from his accent, not from the US originally, and this may be the form of address where he is from to those one is serving in a situation like this, but we are just uncomfortable with it, but on the other hand do not want to make a big deal and make him feel uncomfortable.