Thunderclouds??

Cidu Bill on Feb 15th 2017

thunderslouds.PNG

Filed in B.C., Bill Bickel, CIDU, comic strips, comics, humor | 25 responses so far

25 Responses to “Thunderclouds??”

1. billytheskink Feb 15th 2017 at 09:42 am 1

Particularly large smoke signals.

I wonder if smoke signals are a thing that the average person has a frame of reference for nowadays.

2. Kilby Feb 15th 2017 at 09:44 am 2

Actually, the whole comic in lettered in ALL CAPS, but that’s nearly universal. The only artist that I can think of who ever used lowercase in a daily comic strip (at least for some characters) was Walt Kelly (Pogo).

3. Kilby Feb 15th 2017 at 09:46 am 3

P.S. @ 2 - Now I’m wondering whether the Wordpress moderation habit might have something to do with the website I was on just before clicking on the CIDU link. Not that it was anything suspicious, in this case it was eBay (DE).

4. Chip Feb 15th 2017 at 09:49 am 4

Not thunderclouds, not the Norse god. The B.C. character Thor is replying in heavy smoke.

5. New-ish Guy Feb 15th 2017 at 11:29 am 5

Smoke signals (as I’ve seen them in pop culture) are individual puffs. This seems more like a run-on sentence instead of all-caps.

6. Grawlix Feb 15th 2017 at 02:30 pm 6

Are these two characters angry?

They’re speaking in all caps too…

7. Kilby Feb 15th 2017 at 05:54 pm 7

@ Grawlix (6 going on 7) - That’s sort of what I said @2, only you can’t see it yet.

8. Lola Feb 16th 2017 at 12:04 am 8

Now, that’s a galloping Gish rant!

9. Boise Ed Feb 16th 2017 at 01:48 am 9

Lillian?

10. furrykef Feb 16th 2017 at 03:27 am 10

Yeah, Thor was a poor choice of character for this joke. Especially since we can’t see him; seeing his face might at least have reminded some of us that there is a B.C. character named Thor.

11. Powers Feb 16th 2017 at 11:09 am 11

You’re reading B.C., why would you think of the Norse god before the character in the strip you’re reading?

12. Cidu Bill Feb 16th 2017 at 11:31 am 12

Partially, Powers, because I’ve been reading B.C. for over 50 years and I still can’t remember who is who.

13. James Pollock Feb 16th 2017 at 11:57 am 13

“I’ve been reading B.C. for over 50 years and I still can’t remember who is who.”

I bet you can tell Fat Broad and Cute Chick apart.

14. Cidu Bill Feb 16th 2017 at 01:18 pm 14

Other than those two, James. And GROG.

As far as the guys are concerned, if one of them disappeared from the strip, I would never know.

I can’t think of a single other comic strip where so many characters remain a blur to me. I could even tell Frieda and Non-Peppermint Patty apart.

15. Bob Feb 16th 2017 at 01:40 pm 15

Bill - I think you probably need to add Wiley to the list of easily-identifiable BC characters - at least those are the four I know.

16. Cidu Bill Feb 16th 2017 at 01:49 pm 16

Bob - I think you are incorrect. Unless he’s the one with the big glasses, in which case I will probably forget again with a speed that would make a goldfish jealous.

17. Chip Feb 16th 2017 at 02:06 pm 17

When Thor and B.C. are in the same panel Thor is the taller one. Or is that Peter? Looks like Clumsy is in this strip. I cannot picture Wiley at all.

18. Cidu Bill Feb 16th 2017 at 02:17 pm 18

I have two cousins who are identical twins, and if they’re standing side-by-side, I think I can tell them apart. Well, maybe 50% of the time.

And on the whole, it’s probably more important for me to identify my cousins, since they have more distinct personalities than Peter and B.C. do.

19. James Pollock Feb 16th 2017 at 02:18 pm 19

“I think you probably need to add Wiley to the list of easily-identifiable BC characters - at least those are the four I know.”

Curls, the master of sarcastic wit, is fairly visually distinctive, too. And Clumsy Carp, as well.

Really, for me the only challenge was Peter and B.C., although I can see Thor blurring into the other two a bit if someone didn’t read the strip regularly.

20. James Pollock Feb 16th 2017 at 02:20 pm 20

(Wiley is the Sunday poet with an insufficiency of feet.)

21. Bob in Nashville Feb 19th 2017 at 11:20 pm 21

I don’t know what those smoke signals meant, but it must have been secret. I see you burned the blanket.

22. Kilby Feb 20th 2017 at 03:47 am 22

@ JP (19) - I read a lot of B.C. as a kid (mostly in paperback book form), so I recognize almost all of the characters fairly easily. Peter has a distinctive lock of hair. The only ones that might get confusing for me are B.C. and Thor, especially in the very early strips, where all of the characters were “fat” (nearly triangular), but they had very different personalities (and activities), which usually made it clear who was who.

23. Kilby Feb 20th 2017 at 03:51 am 23

P.S. @ Bill (18) - Peter is (or at least was) the aristocratic intellectual. B.C. has always seemed (at least to me) to be a little bit “nebbish“.

24. James Pollock Feb 20th 2017 at 05:20 am 24

“B.C. has always seemed (at least to me) to be a little bit ‘nebbish’.”

“Dim” would be the word I’d use.

25. Bob Feb 20th 2017 at 01:12 pm 25

Thanks, JP, for the clarification @20. In my original comment (15), I should have noted that a full-length depiction of Wiley would allow him to be easily identified. (In this case, I would have been able to identify him in panel 2, but not necessarily in panel 1.)