Luarlo

Cidu Bill on Feb 14th 2017

Several people proposed the Arlo Award for last week’s Luann, which began with this:

luarlo1.gif

and ended with this:

luarlo2.gif

Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Greg Evans, Luann, comic strips, comics, humor | 9 responses so far

9 Responses to “Luarlo”

1. James Schend Feb 14th 2017 at 07:15 pm 1

A book and calculator? When was this written?

Although I guess the book came in handy for censorship purposes. A laptop would have worked just as well.

2. Cidu Bill Feb 14th 2017 at 07:20 pm 2

Some people do like to work on paper, so the book’s not unreasonable. And might the “calculator” be a cell phone? They’re often drawn disproportionately large in comic strips.

3. James Schend Feb 14th 2017 at 07:33 pm 3

Some people work on paper, but aren’t these characters supposed to be in college, or freshly out of college? I don’t read this strip every day.

Still looks like calculator to me.

4. PeterW Feb 14th 2017 at 07:39 pm 4

They’ve been full time firefighters for years. Brad is Luann’s older brother, and Luann and her friends finally graduated high school a couple years ago.

5. Cidu Bill Feb 14th 2017 at 07:41 pm 5

Luann is in college. Brad is about 3 years older and, IIRC, didn’t go to college.

I also got the sense, though I don’t think it was ever explicitly mentioned, that Toni’s a couple of years older than he is.

6. James Pollock Feb 14th 2017 at 08:53 pm 6

If their budget’s as bad as they suggest, maybe it didn’t have “laptop computer” in it.

I stopped following the strip a while back, but weren’t they renting the old DeGroot home after the family bought and moved into the one next door?

7. Stan Feb 14th 2017 at 09:10 pm 7

This strip seems to be doing long running story arcs these days and often one strip alone makes no sense unless you’ve read the previous three or four. I’ve stopped following it for that reason. It’s irritating.

As for the strips above, my wife and I go out to dinner on our anniversary and do exactly this (minus the getting naked part); work out our budget for the year with a book, pencils and a calculator. Call us hopeless romantics if you must, but what they’re doing didn’t seem that unreasonable to me either.

8. James Pollock Feb 14th 2017 at 10:02 pm 8

Pfft. It’s just Toni using her looks to get what she wants. AGAIN.

9. Meryl A Feb 15th 2017 at 03:47 am 9

I still use a calculator.

I have clients who still have manual books.

Husband and I have never gotten together to do a budget - that is my job.