Gifts

Cidu Bill on Dec 7th 2016

cidu-santa-gifts-reality.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Christmas, Reality Check, Santa Claus, The Squirrel Must Die, comic strips, comics, humor | 31 responses so far

31 Responses to “Gifts”

1. Grawlix Dec 7th 2016 at 01:15 am 1

I don’t have the punchline to this comic, but it strangely reminds me of the style of old political cartoons.

Also, you guys may hate the squirrel, but he’s kindasorta amuzing here.

2. Kilby Dec 7th 2016 at 01:18 am 2

I think it’s a sad commentary related to simple logistics. Santa could (and should) schlepp the big bag of presents all over creation, but it would be a heck of a lot easier just to distribute money.

3. Cidu Bill Dec 7th 2016 at 01:18 am 3

I got a “political cartoon” vibe as well, Grawlix.

4. Kilby Dec 7th 2016 at 01:21 am 4

P.S. @ Grawlix - I agree on both counts @1. I liked the exponential formula, but I figured that snarking about hyperperoxide would flush out all the chemistry nerds.

5. Cidu Bill Dec 7th 2016 at 01:24 am 5

Money, Kilby? It’s all about gift cards now, preferably digital.

(Which inevitably reminds me of this)

6. Folly Dec 7th 2016 at 01:29 am 6

Everyone wants cash as a present these days which leads to a not-as-impressive bag.

Even the squirrel joke is a compressed version of santa’s full laugh.

7. bekki Dec 7th 2016 at 03:22 am 7

According to math, the squirrel actually says HO^3=HOOO

@kilby that should be hydrogen trioxide if the 3 was a subscript instead of superscript

8. John Small Berries Dec 7th 2016 at 03:30 am 8

Cidu Bill @5: It’s all about gift cards now, preferably digital.

September 2012:

My parents: “What would you like for your birthday?”

Me: “Here is a link to my Amazon wish list!”

My parents: “We didn’t know which ones you wanted, so here’s a gift card.”

Me: (explains how a wish list works)

My parents: “Oh, okay! We’ll remember that for next time!”

Repeat for Christmas 2012, birthday and Christmas 2013, and birthday and Christmas 2014.

September 2015:

My parents: “What would you like for your birthday?”

Me: “Here is a link to my Amazon wish list!” (special wish list containing nothing but various denominations of Amazon gift cards.)

My parents: “Oh, don’t you want anything else? Gift cards are so impersonal!”

9. Proginoskes Dec 7th 2016 at 04:37 am 9

The squirrel should actually be saying (HO)³. It works even in a noncommutative group!

10. Pete Dec 7th 2016 at 07:57 am 10

Kilby@2 :

Of course, distributing money was the original Santa present.

11. James Pollock Dec 7th 2016 at 08:05 am 11

“The squirrel should actually be saying (HO)³”

I get (HO)^3 as
    H^3 + 3(H^2)O + 3H(O^2) + O^3

12. maz Dec 7th 2016 at 08:42 am 12

James@10:

that would be (H+O)^3.

13. Chemgal Dec 7th 2016 at 11:42 am 13

My interpretation was that after getting all the gifts in the large bag, Santa’s cash is reduced to a much smaller bag. (He doesn’t look happy as he contemplates the cash bag.)

14. BillClay Dec 7th 2016 at 12:02 pm 14

@James Pollock -

That vaguely looks like the chain rule for derivatives, but not really. Care to explain?

15. Winter Wallaby Dec 7th 2016 at 12:05 pm 15

BillClay #12: He’s interpreting HO as H+O. (Seems like a stretch to me, but eh.)

16. BillClay Dec 7th 2016 at 12:31 pm 16

Makes sense. I was just trying to understand the logic. Thanks for clarifying. I should have seen that interpretation.

17. Wendy Dec 7th 2016 at 12:44 pm 17

My mom (who is a retired math teacher) got a pin one year that had HO^3. It bugged her, so she added the parentheses, like Proginoskes said in #8.

18. James Pollock Dec 7th 2016 at 12:56 pm 18

(HO)^2 = (HO)(HO) = (H^2) +2HO + (O^2)

(HO)^3 = (HO)(HO)(HO) = ((HO)^2)(HO) = ((H^2) + 2HO + (O^2))(HO)

=

H^3 + 2(H^2)O + H(O^2) + (H^2)O + 2H(O^2)+ (O^3)

Which simplifies to

H^3 +3(H^2)O + 3H(O^2) + O^3.

19. Winter Wallaby Dec 7th 2016 at 01:19 pm 19

JP #16: “(HO)(HO) = (H^2) +2HO + (O^2)”

This is not right, unless you for some reason interpret “HO” as meaning “H+O” on the left hand side, but still interpret “HO” as meaning “H*O” on the right hand side.

20. Bob Dec 7th 2016 at 02:12 pm 20

JP’s math is correct.

21. Winter Wallaby Dec 7th 2016 at 02:31 pm 21

Bob #18: With the usual meaning of HO as H times O? e.g. H=3, O=5, so
    (HO)^2 = (HO)(HO) = (H^2) +2HO + (O^2)
    (3*5)^2 = (3^2) + 2*3*5+ (5^2)
    15^2 = 9 +30 + 25
    225 = 64
    ?

22. Bob Dec 7th 2016 at 02:49 pm 22

Bob@18 - you’re wrong.

23. James Pollock Dec 7th 2016 at 04:15 pm 23

“JP’s math is correct.”
    No, it isn’t.

24. John Small Berries Dec 7th 2016 at 04:32 pm 24

Wow, I have no idea what got my comment caught up in moderation. Oh well.

25. Squirrel Antidefamation League Dec 7th 2016 at 04:40 pm 25

Grawlix (#1), there was no punchline. What you see is what we got. At least the squirrel’s line was a good one.

26. Mark in Boston Dec 7th 2016 at 10:11 pm 26

Reminds me of what I saw written on a bathroom wall at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

“Without her I’m nothing.” — Shakespeare

ME - SHE = 0
    Add SHE to both sides:
    ME = SHE
    Divide both sides by E:
    M = SH
    Multiply both sides by IT:
    [omitted to avoid moderation]

27. Arthur Dec 7th 2016 at 10:27 pm 27

Grawlix (#1), there was no punchline. What you see is what we got.

I think you’re confusing punchline and caption. But in this
    case, it seems there is neither.

28. Chakolate Dec 8th 2016 at 12:17 am 28

JSB@8,

Thanks for the laugh. I think we may have had the same parents.

29. Meryl A Dec 13th 2016 at 03:33 am 29

My standard answer to what do you want? is nothing.

For some years we would buy bear figurines in a set I collected (rather inexpensive ones) and husband would “sell” them to my family for gifts for me - his sister would buy whatever she wanted to. Then they stopped making the bears.

I then would get my annual appointment book for work from husband (which I bought of course) until the switch to Palm and computer. Since then there are many years with no gifts during the year as there is nothing I want. While at a farmer’s market in PA recently a vendor had again the hair clips I use and I am getting 4 of them for Christmas from husband - I bought them at 4 for $1 (normal price at this vendor) and gave them to him.

I am a very frustrating person and have worked out deals not to exchange gifts with the family.

30. Cidu Bill Dec 13th 2016 at 02:58 pm 30

Meryl, I don’t want us to stray into politics here, but last month my younger son suggested that instead of exchanging holiday gifts, we all choose causes we’d like donations to made to in our names.

I thought it was a grand idea, plus it certainly makes December a bit simpler.

31. Meryl A Dec 24th 2016 at 04:04 am 31

Sounds better to me than gifts. I just finished wrapping gifts for husband and his nieces. Understand that he bought his own gifts and I wrapped them. -SPOILER ALERT - Yes, I also have to sneak them under the tree (finished the last 2 trees tonight, some other decorations to go) so he can get them from Santa. I also stuck the hair clips I bought for a buck into a recycled gift bag.