Speaking of Subways (since this is Cyanide and Happiness, probably Arlo)

Cidu Bill on Mar 1st 2016

cidu-cyanide-subway.png

Filed in Arlo Page, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Cyanide and Happiness, comic strips, comics, humor | 26 responses so far

26 Responses to “Speaking of Subways (since this is Cyanide and Happiness, probably Arlo)”

1. Judge Mental Mar 1st 2016 at 10:10 am 1

“Make me a sandwich” or sometimes more crudely “B*+ch, make me sandwich” is a common meme, often used by males to dismiss the feelings or opinion of a female.

2. Philip Mar 1st 2016 at 10:34 am 2

Or maybe he was afraid to say, “Make me a foot long.”

3. Winter Wallaby Mar 1st 2016 at 11:53 am 3

Judge Mental has it. I’m sort of shocked to find a C&H that I like.

4. Christine Mar 1st 2016 at 12:25 pm 4

It’s the modern version of “what are you doing out of the kitchen”, like Judge Mental says. It’s popular enough that even if the green shirt guy recognises that it’s an ok thing to say (and I’m not going to guarantee that, some people are really bad at seeing context) it would probably make him uncomfortable to repeat it.

5. furrykef Mar 1st 2016 at 12:58 pm 5

Of course, he could have just said “I’d like a sandwich” and avoided the connotations of the phrase.

6. Keera Mar 1st 2016 at 01:13 pm 6

I’m sure Philip is the one that has it. :-)

7. woozy Mar 1st 2016 at 01:20 pm 7

This says it all: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/make-me-a-sandwich

Judge Mental, not Philip. Although Philip’s is funny and could be a second.

8. s.z. Mar 1st 2016 at 04:19 pm 8

I tend to agree with Philip’s interpretation too. It seems to be the double entendre that would go along with what the sandwich maker asked.

9. Kamino Neko Mar 1st 2016 at 10:34 pm 9

No, it’s definitely the ‘make me a sandwich’ thing.

‘Make me a footlong’ isn’t a sexist meme (or meme commenting on sexism, it’s used both ways). ‘Make me a sandwich’ is.

This Dorkly comic also covers it.

10. Kamino Neko Mar 1st 2016 at 10:37 pm 10

… OK, it occurs my phrasing in that second paragraph is confusing.

Better: ‘Make me a sandwich’ is a sexist meme (or a meme commenting on sexism, it’s used both ways). ‘Make me a foot long’ is not.

11. Bob in Nashville Mar 2nd 2016 at 12:20 am 11

Yeah, I got the “Make me a sandwich,” reference. I just say, “I’ll have a 12″ meatball on wheat bread.”

12. s.z. Mar 2nd 2016 at 12:26 am 12

Um, remember that this is Cyanide and Happiness. Then read this definition. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=foot+long
    Then decide.

13. s.z. Mar 2nd 2016 at 12:34 am 13

My comment is in moderation, so, based on the comic strip we are talking about, I am sure that I am right. :-)

14. Meryl A Mar 2nd 2016 at 02:33 am 14

In the movie “Touch of Class” George Segal is living in England. He is married and dating Glenda Jackson on the side. His (male) assistant will say whenever he is going out for lunch “one of the long ones or one of the short ones?” the former being when he is seeing his girlfriend. At one point he is suppose to meet her and she cancels at the last minute and he tells his assistant he will be eating in and to get him an Italian sandwich - “one of the long ones or one of the short ones?” is the reply.

We used to eat at Subway and then realized that, unlike when we eat at Blimpies (a similar chain for those who might not know it), we were always hungry after eating at Subway. We then realized that there are only 2 half slices of meat in a turkey sandwich at Subway. If one orders the ham and turkey there are 2 slices of each -with the same protein and fat counts as just the turkey - impossible. The pictures show at least 3 slices of meat in the sandwich and when one of the executives was on the TV show where executives work undercover at a few of their locations he said that there should be 12 slices of turkey in the 12 inch sandwich (not 11 inch per a court agreement recently) - logic says that means 6 slices in the half size sandwich!

15. Kilby Mar 2nd 2016 at 03:18 am 15

In addition to Kamino Neko’s “Dorkly” link @8, the subject is also touched upon by the bonus (”votey”) panel in today’s SMBC.

16. Kamino Neko Mar 2nd 2016 at 04:57 am 16

‘Give me a foot long’ is better, but is really asking for the artist to give you their ‘foot long’, which doesn’t work well when speaking to a woman. (I suppose she could use a foot long toy…)

17. Mark M Mar 2nd 2016 at 10:11 am 17

When I was growing up, “make me a sandwich” was the wrong thing to say to a genie. Now it’s a sexist meme?

18. tygalilee Mar 2nd 2016 at 11:22 am 18

I like that Progressive commercial where spokeswoman Flo is supposed to be a 1950’s housewife. The announcer keeps making sexist comments about women not having jobs or being knowledgeable enough to make decisions while Flo keeps correcting him. At the end, he says to her “Where is your husband??” I find it so hilarious! 1) Him assuming that all women have a husband and 2) that husband’s job is to “keep her in line”. LOL! I jokingly quote “Where is your husband??” to myself in response to willful female expressions. (I’m female btw, if that makes it less terrible)

19. mitch4 Mar 2nd 2016 at 11:40 am 19

Meryl recollects: In the movie “Touch of Class” George Segal is living in England. He is married and dating Glenda Jackson on the side.

I was going to ask if that’s the one where the lovers run across a field to leap into each others’ arms over a soundtrack of a (nonvocal) “Liebestod”. But I think that one might instead be “Blume in Love”, another 1973 film with George Segal, also starring Marsha Mason, directed by Paul Mazursky. I can’t tell if it was also set in England.

(Busy year for Segal, I guess. I was almost expecting one of these to have been Elliott Gould)

20. feuerstein Mar 2nd 2016 at 12:25 pm 20

tygalilee, I love jokes based on unconventional roles. It’s crazy here in Germany, when a man comes out of a middle east country and encounters a woman in a leadership position. They encounter women regularly in leadership roles, but only AT HOME. Even worse, now that migrants are trying to get jobs.

A few days ago, a woman was whining about how the men were so unreasonable, and I suggested to her, as a thought experiment, to complete the role reversal in her mind.

That is, the guy from the middle east is having a hard time accepting her in a leadership role outside his home, that (in his experience) is always male. So I advised her to try to imagine him as a woman, and possibly even a woman that is somewhat afraid.

21. Bob Mar 2nd 2016 at 01:25 pm 21

Kamino@14 - maybe he’s a “grower” and not a “show-er”

22. Mark in Boston Mar 2nd 2016 at 09:35 pm 22

“Make me a foot long” could also be interpreted by a malicious genie as “make me 12 inches tall.”

Then, if he can play piano, he’s the 12-inch pianist of the other joke.

23. Meryl A Mar 3rd 2016 at 01:02 am 23

Okay - growing up it was the fellow asks the genie to “make me an egg cream” and poof… (For those who don’t know an egg cream is made with fizzy water, U-Bet chocolate syrup and milk. If one is asked what flavor one wants - the correct answer is “I’ll have a malted instead” - Even Frank Pembleton, New Yorker living in Baltimore on “Homicide” knew that egg creams only come in chocolate.)

An odd thing about “Touch of Class” they have taken an apartment in a building of “ladies” all named French for assignations. Glenda Jackson is cooking him dinner and runs out of a spice and asks one of the neighbors for some. She asks them for oregano, pronounced or-eh-gahn-o. We both remember this distinctly. We also remember watching our Beta version of the movie and this being how it was pronounced. Well, watching it on TV she sounds funny, as if cut in, and says or-egg-ah-no as we would say here. We went back to the various videos (Beta, VHS, DVD) and in all of them she says it this way and in all of them it sounds cut in. Americanization?

24. mitch4 Mar 3rd 2016 at 09:25 am 24

“Make me one with everything.”

25. James Pollock Mar 3rd 2016 at 01:59 pm 25

“Further thought…’make me a foot long’ is terrible as a double entendre. It’s not saying you’re sporting 12 inches of sausage…it’s asking for an upgrade.”

It collapses for easy storage. “Make me a foot long” suggests preparing it for use.

26. Mark in Boston Mar 3rd 2016 at 08:46 pm 26

sudo make me a sandwich.