Sunday Funnies: LOL, February 7, 2016

doonesbury-cable-bill.jpg

bizarro-school-of-art.gif

lol-february7-virgilpartch.PNG

lol-waiting.jpg

Tom D:

herman-wont-eat.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bizarro, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Doonesbury, G.B. Trudeau, Herman, Jim Unger, New Yorker, Virgil Partch, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 26 responses so far

26 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, February 7, 2016”

1. Mitch4 Feb 6th 2016 at 11:37 pm 1

All quite good !

The funhouse-mirror one leaves a few logical possibilities for what the reality scene looks like.

2. Mitch4 Feb 6th 2016 at 11:38 pm 2

(No, it wasn’t something intentional to get printed in red.)

3. James Pollock Feb 7th 2016 at 12:08 am 3

redrum!

4. woozy Feb 7th 2016 at 01:32 am 4

So the four cute little snakes don’t eat? Could be worse, I guess. Her cat could be dead.

5. Mona Feb 7th 2016 at 01:39 am 5

Wassup with the red?? Too scarey (or scary?) ! Glad I’m not the only one that sees it. The last one (toes up) is funny, but sad (as someone who has an older cat that is not eating lately).

6. DemetriosX Feb 7th 2016 at 05:59 am 6

I wonder what Ben Doonesbury is up to these days. Still living off of his condom fortune?

7. Carl Feb 7th 2016 at 09:00 am 7

IDU the Virgil Partch. Help appreciated.

8. Kamino Neko Feb 7th 2016 at 09:08 am 8

They’re looking in a funhouse mirror. She’s all distorted…but he looks normal…meaning he presumably, IRL, looks like he’s all distorted.

9. Usual John Feb 7th 2016 at 09:11 am 9

At first I thought the Robert E. Lee was a reference to Joan Baez’s cover of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, but that seemed an unlikely reference for Chas. Addams, and it turns out that there is an old song called Waiting for the Robert E. Lee. I was also unfamiliar with the old play, Waiting for Lefty.

10. Kilby Feb 7th 2016 at 10:08 am 10

I too had to look up “Waiting For Lefty” (1935). At first I thought that this cartoon might have been from the forties (when the play was presumably better known), but I was surprised to discover that it wasn’t published until October 4th, 1976(*).

The only reason that I did not have to look up the “Robert E. Lee” was that Tom Lehrer referred to it in his song “I Wanna Go Back to Dixie“.

P.S. (*) The reason that this comment is #10 (instead of #7) is that it took me several tries to find the magic search term to deliver the Addams comic. None of the variations on “wait” or “waiting room” worked (probably because nobody bothered to transcribe the mirror image letters), but using “Godot” turned it up pretty quickly (on the New Yorker double CD set, not the Internet).

11. mitch4 Feb 7th 2016 at 10:16 am 11

On #7 and #8 — I think fundamentally it has to be along the lines KN suggests. But I can’t help wondering if there’s supposed to be another point, something about the appearance depending on your standpoint.

12. pepperjackcandy Feb 7th 2016 at 11:37 am 12

Is the red lettering in honor of Valentine’s Day? Or are we all Jesus now?

13. Daniel J. Drazen Feb 7th 2016 at 05:00 pm 13

Are you a fogey if the Herman comic reminds you of the Dead Parrot sketch from Monty Python’s Flying Circus?

14. James Pollock Feb 7th 2016 at 07:49 pm 14

And now the red has faded to black.

15. Mary in Ohio Feb 7th 2016 at 08:03 pm 15

Mona - I can sympathize. I immediately decided it was a small dog.

16. tom D Feb 7th 2016 at 08:18 pm 16

Thanks, CIDU Bill!

17. Mark in Boston Feb 7th 2016 at 09:05 pm 17

We get a clue about how weird the Virgil Partch man looks because we can see that he has only five fingers on his hand, not seven or eight or nine like a normal VIP hand.

18. User McUser Feb 8th 2016 at 11:01 am 18

Why does the male character in the Doonesbury comic talk like the Incredible Hulk?

19. mitch4 Feb 8th 2016 at 11:08 am 19

His injuries included some brain damage.

20. Ron Feb 8th 2016 at 01:38 pm 20

Not understanding the Waiting Room comic is obviously a generational thing. I doubt too many millennials and Gen-Xers would get this one.

21. Olpera Feb 8th 2016 at 07:24 pm 21

Some discography:
    Waiting for the Robert E. Lee (i.e. a riverboat).
    Composer: Lewis F. Muir, Lyricist: L. Wolfe Gilbert. Written & recorded 1912.

ttp://www.loc.gov/jukebox/recordings/detail/id/5027
    Vocal group: Heidelberg Quintette, 1912-07-11 Camden, New Jersey

Also featured in “The Jazz Singer” 1927 with, and later recorded by, Al Jolson.

(Even I got it on Robert E. Lee before seeing Goudot.)

22. Tom Feb 8th 2016 at 11:10 pm 22

Oplera @ 20 - you lost an ‘h’ at the start of the address.

23. Meryl A Feb 9th 2016 at 01:58 am 23

I realized that they were all from “waiting” references, but did not know Lefty - and technically it is “wait” til the sun shines Nelly” not waiting.

Old joke (okay, early 1960’s) - Little girl and her mom are on a tour of the White house. There is a chance to sign the guest book. Little girl excitedly pushes past the nun in line ahead of them. The mother says to the girl “Wait til the nun signs, Shelly.”

24. Olpera Feb 9th 2016 at 02:26 am 24

Just a test, feel free to neglect ► www.loc.gov/jukebox/recordings/detail/id/5027 ◄ END TEST

25. Olpera Feb 9th 2016 at 02:40 am 25

That worked as well! Now I wonder where the initial “h” got lost - strange. (But it was late.)

26. mitch4 Feb 9th 2016 at 10:26 am 26

Meryl #22 — Thanks for that pun story! I admit these weren’t the funniest genre around, but it was a family tradition to collect and repeat them. And I think I didn’t know this one!