Been there. But what’s the joke?

Cidu Bill on Jun 11th 2015

cidu-skateboard-bound.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bound and Gagged, CIDU, comic strips, comics, humor | 27 responses so far

27 Responses to “Been there. But what’s the joke?”

1. Ron Jun 11th 2015 at 12:07 am 1

The joke is in the turnabout. Traditionally, it’s supposed to be
    her talking to the father, saying, “I told you not to let little
    Timmy try X.” (Substitute any potentially dangerous behavior
    for X. E.g.: tree climbing, skateboarding, riding his bicycle
    in the street.)

2. Fluffy Bunny Slippers Jun 11th 2015 at 12:27 am 2

Ron @1 is right but…

First he starts with the skateboard, now he is stealing ambulances… What is next for this man in an epic midlife crisis?

3. Cidu Bill Jun 11th 2015 at 12:42 am 3

I beg to differ, Ron, and I’m not the only adult in my family with the scars to prove it.

Did you know that if you make a sharp left turn on a skateboard, you yourself might continue to go straight?

4. Stan Jun 11th 2015 at 12:48 am 4

I agree with what Ron said, that was the intended joke, but what are all those ’stars’ on the ambulance? They remind me of… well, they are exactly like drawings I’ve seen of a certain anatomical feature that is rarely discussed in polite company.

Are we to assume that’s where the father damaged himself? It’s quite likely, I suppose. Are there ambulances for this specific kind of injury?

5. John Small Berries Jun 11th 2015 at 01:12 am 5

Stan, the stars are traditional for ambulances; they’re usually surmounted by a caduceus.

6. James Pollock Jun 11th 2015 at 01:31 am 6

” they are exactly like drawings I’ve seen of a certain anatomical feature that is rarely discussed in polite company.”

I can only assume you are referring to the Greendale flag from Community.

As for the joke, it’s “adults are clumsy and stupid and badly overestimate what they are capable of”

What sport is responsible for the most emergency room visits? Softball.

7. Stan Jun 11th 2015 at 01:35 am 7

Ahhh, ok. I haven’t used an ambulance in a while, so I didn’t recognize them by those crude drawings. What came to mind is more a reflection of my filthy mind then, I guess. Sorry folks.

8. Kamino Neko Jun 11th 2015 at 03:55 am 8

JSB - those are not caducei. They are the far more correct Rod of Asclepius. The Caduceus was the staff of Hermes, and is properly associated with messengers and merchants, not medicine.

9. tygalilee Jun 11th 2015 at 08:55 am 9

@James Pollock you beat me to it by referencing Community. I truly am amongst my people here.

10. mitch4 Jun 11th 2015 at 09:12 am 10

I had forgotten that flag and motto! But I still want to say: Go, Human Beings!

11. Dyfsunctional Jun 11th 2015 at 09:48 am 11

The asterisk-as-anatomical-feature goes back at least at far as Kurt Vonnegut’s Breakfast of Champions.

12. Boise Ed Jun 11th 2015 at 12:05 pm 12

FBS [2]: He didn’t steal it; he’s a patient in it.

Bill[3]; Funny thing about inertia that way.

JSB [5]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_Life says the “Star of Life” was created as a new ambulance symbol after Red Cross lawyers complained that the old symbol infringed on their logo.

James [6], et al.: I’m not a fan of Community (unlike my wife), and I’d not seen the asterisk as indicating some “naughty bit.” Is it the one that the motto refers to? If not, dare I ask what bit it is?

tygalilee [9] “…amongst…”: I agree. I wish someone would hurry up and invent the transmatter booth so we could all get together for lunch sometime. Bill seems to have collected a great bunch of people here.

13. Barry Jun 11th 2015 at 12:32 pm 13

The joke is: The father was horribly injured and must be taken to the hospital immediately via emergency transport.

Hilarious!

(not really hilarious)

14. Brent Jun 11th 2015 at 03:56 pm 14

Boise Ed (12): I believe that Fluffy Bunny Slippers was reinterpreting things to make it funny. The literal joke in the strip is stale. Adults today aren’t really so serious to make it seem odd to have a dad skateboarding… skating legends like Tony Hawk and Jason Lee are now in their mid-40s. Subverting the trope makes things funny again.

15. Mona Jun 11th 2015 at 04:45 pm 15

Boise Ed, it would be fun if a bunch of us could get together. I remember back a while ago we somehow got on the topic of how much fun it is to swing (playground-type, not switching-partners-type) and that we should get together and do that.

16. James Pollock Jun 11th 2015 at 05:22 pm 16

“skating legends like Tony Hawk and Jason Lee are now in their mid-40s.”

Tony Hawk being over 40 doesn’t make anyone else over 40 able to skate like their 19 again.

17. Brent Jun 11th 2015 at 05:50 pm 17

Tony Hawk and Jason Lee don’t skate like they’re 19 either. The thing is that you see people that aren’t teen boys on boards now… I see adults using long boards to get to the office. Teens from the 80s and 90s are still using skateboards, not at the same XTREME levels as before but as common transport and light fun… enough to make this joke fall flat.

18. James Pollock Jun 11th 2015 at 06:13 pm 18

I was a teen in the 80’s, and I would fall flat if I tried to use a skateboard to get much beyond the end of the driveway.

Again, the fact that some people can still do it doesn’t help the rest. Nolan Ryan can still throw a baseball 85 MPH, but anyone else of his age is still more likely to hurt himself trying.

Thirty years ago, I could do a roundoff-back handspring-layout backflip combo anywhere there was enough flat ground to get up to speed. Today… I might be able to do a roundoff without embarrassing or hurting myself. Maybe.

This cartoon is making fun of the people who do not realize that the skills they haven’t used in 20 years may not be as sharp as they once were. The fact that there are people who’ve been using particular skills all through those 20 years and ARE still able to do stuff they did 20 years ago doesn’t change anything.

You’re reacting as if the joke is “ha ha, old people can’t skateboard!” but it’s not. It’s “ha ha, he’s not as good at skateboarding as he thought he was, because he hasn’t touched one for a period measured in decades”.

19. Mona Jun 11th 2015 at 08:38 pm 19

Mom is saying “I told you not to let your father try the skateboard.”
    Key word here is “try”, as in perhaps he has never been on one before. Or, as others have pointed out, at least has not tried to use one in decades.
    She did not say “I told you not to let your father use the skateboard.”

20. Brent Jun 12th 2015 at 08:40 am 20

You’re still not getting my point… it isn’t about “old people can’t use skateboard”, my point was that there’s nothing odd with people past their teens trying skateboard, there’s not the same stigma against it. There’s simply nothing odd about this… at one time there would be and there would be some funny, but not anymore. It isn’t about the fact that some people can still do it. The thing is that dads do skateboard now, and even take it up… that’s not anything anymore, we live in a world where to be clickbait worthy you need something more like “Octagenerian takes up BASE jumping”. Taking up skateboarding is not a big deal, and getting injured while doing it is less (could happen to anybody… the fact that this appears to be an amateur just makes this even less noticble), and having your spouse upset over you doing that even more less. The ER probably sees this exact thing a dozen times a year. If this was 30 years ago, this could be comedy… but now this is just slice of life drama.

21. Boise Ed Jun 12th 2015 at 06:36 pm 21

Mona [15]: Yeah I like to swing — with my saxophone.

22. Mona Jun 13th 2015 at 04:11 am 22

Boise Ed - maybe we could get a band put together.
    “The CIDUS Brothers”?

23. Todd Jun 13th 2015 at 05:19 am 23

Brent, I have never seen someone over 40 ride a skateboard to work. And I’m sure most people can say the same. When I take my walk by the local skatepark, I never see anyone over 20. Your situation is unique.

24. Boise Ed Jun 13th 2015 at 06:45 pm 24

Mona? Brother? How about “The JIDU Sibs”?

25. Keera Jun 14th 2015 at 04:50 pm 25

My take is that it

26. Keera Jun 14th 2015 at 04:52 pm 26

(Whoops. Hit Enter too soon.)

My take is that it’s Dad wailing, not the ambulance’s siren. Makes it funny for me. :-) My Dad did try rollerskating for the first time well into his forties, and did break his wrist when he got distracted and missed the turn.

27. Meryl A Jun 17th 2015 at 01:45 am 27

If a dad tells his child he (the dad) is going to do something, does the child have any way of preventing him from doing it, no matter what the mom has told him?

“Son, give me your skate board to try.”
    “Mom said that I am not suppose to.”
    “Give me your skate board to try or I will take it and get rid of it and you will never see it again.”