Santa and Cats (guaranteed not a repeat)

Cidu Bill on Dec 24th 2014

fmc141223.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Christmas, Flying McCoys, Santa Claus, cats, comic strips, comics, humor | 26 responses so far

26 Responses to “Santa and Cats (guaranteed not a repeat)”

1. Gerald Dec 24th 2014 at 09:08 am 1

I think it’s something the artist assumes is common experience. Many people whose cats are allowed out during the day, ring a bell to bring them home to eat in the evening. Obviously it’s not a universal experience, but there are places where the cat bell-ringing can be heard daily from multiple points in the neighborhood.

2. mitch4 Dec 24th 2014 at 09:51 am 2

Blaming him for the dearth of prey? (…not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse)

3. Judge Mental Dec 24th 2014 at 10:14 am 3

The cats have mistaken the bell-ringing for a dinner bell?

Pavlovian cats?

4. mitch4 Dec 24th 2014 at 10:18 am 4

Judge — Where did we recently see a punch line of Ëvery time a bell rings … a dog salivates”?

5. Elyrest Dec 24th 2014 at 10:48 am 5

I saw a comic with Pavlov’s son as a salivating bell-ringer just recently.

6. Judge Mental Dec 24th 2014 at 12:10 pm 6

Yesterday’s Argyle Sweater was the one about Pavlov’s son: http://www.gocomics.com/theargylesweater/2014/12/23

7. chuckers Dec 24th 2014 at 12:12 pm 7

@Mitch4

That was Mother Goose & Grimm from a few days ago.

8. Mike Dec 24th 2014 at 01:53 pm 8

This one has me baffled. #1 or #2 might have it, but if so the joke is pretty weak.

9. Mark d Dec 24th 2014 at 02:38 pm 9

Stray (homeless) cats would also like a donation.

10. Mona Dec 24th 2014 at 02:51 pm 10

I tried to figure this out before coming to the comments.
    The first thing I thought of was Pavlov’s Cats.
    My second thought was that some cat toys have little bells inside them.
    Third thought, some people put little bells on a collar around a cat’s neck. Either to warn birds that the cat is near, or so the people won’t trip over them.
    That’s all I got.

11. Morris Keesan Dec 24th 2014 at 02:58 pm 11

Maybe something to do with “belling the cat”?

12. MinorAnnoyance Dec 24th 2014 at 02:59 pm 12

Dogs I’d sort of understand. Cats are supposed to respond to electric can openers.

Improvement: Santa ringing bell, two passing dogs. One dog: “You know you’re drooling, don’t you?”

13. Paperboy Dec 24th 2014 at 03:02 pm 13

Cats are attracted by moving objects. But,yeah; “what’s the joke?” (Does the dinky pot play a part in the set-up?)

14. DPWally Dec 24th 2014 at 09:20 pm 14

Cats usually run away from loud noises, I can’t imagine a crowd of them drawn to Santa’s bell.

15. hia5 Dec 25th 2014 at 12:28 am 15

I think it’s the rather strange projection from Santa’s cap. It looks very much one of the most popular of cat toys (and about the only toy that cats will actually play with): a string with something on the end (e.g., feathers or, as here, a pompom.You wave them around and the cat will jump up and try to catch the pompom. If I’m correct, this is one of the weakest cartoons I’ve ever seen.

16. zbicyclist Dec 25th 2014 at 12:30 am 16

I notice that nobody in the comments at GoComics figured this out either — one commenter suggested sending it to this website.

I’m clueless. Cats usually don’t like moving metal or loud noises.

17. Mark d Dec 25th 2014 at 01:19 am 17

Another interpretation: For cats, the only creatures associated with bells are other cats. So this large furry whiskered Santa with a bell must somehow be related to them and they are fascinated. And, to take it a step further: These cats out on a city or town street are probably homeless strays. And since bell ringing Santas use donations to feed and give shelter to the human homeless, these homeless cats hope the donations will be used to give them food and shelter too.

18. Kevin A Dec 25th 2014 at 01:35 am 18

The cat on the right’s definitely looking at him, not at his tassel. I’m wondering if it’s the facial hair. I like the dinner bell idea; it drew me home when I was a kid(den).

19. Proginoskes Dec 25th 2014 at 03:15 am 19

I sent this one in. (Other people may have, as well.) You’ve gotten about as far as the comments on the webpage.

20. Winter Wallaby Dec 25th 2014 at 03:25 am 20

Funny, they seemed like mostly repeats when Bill was sending out one at a time, but now that he’s emptying out his folder, I don’t recognize any of them. (Although I understand this one doesn’t come from emptying out the folder.)

21. Cidu Bill Dec 25th 2014 at 03:32 am 21

Yes, Winter, that’s how it seems to me as well.

Nonetheless, it’s not a bad thing to do some general housecleaning, since the hard drive meltdown created so much confusion.

22. Elyrest Dec 25th 2014 at 09:36 am 22

Sometimes cats like to just sit and stare. Sometimes it’s aimed at a person, sometimes at a wall. Here we have a couple sitting and staring, but the others really aren’t so this idea is going nowhere. I’m going to post it anyway as it’s Christmas.

23. Boise Ed Dec 25th 2014 at 04:26 pm 23

hia5 [15], I agree with your conclusion.

24. Mark M Dec 26th 2014 at 07:25 pm 24

On a side note, I have always thought Pavlov went to a lot of trouble to prove a theory that was probably widely accepted already. How about:
    Ring bell
    Make loud noise to startle dog
    Measure heart rate
    After many iterations, ring bell without noise and measure heart rate

25. Mona Dec 26th 2014 at 07:45 pm 25

Re: Mark M @24
    A friend has a dog that gets upset when she sees a fly. She associates all flies with the loud noise that is made when her human kills the fly. Her human has never hit her with a rolled up newspaper or fly-swatter. It’s just the noise.

26. Proginoskes Dec 29th 2014 at 03:29 am 26

Pavlov was originally investigating something else (involving the digestive systems of dogs); the bell-ringing was an accidental discovery.