Cidu Bill on Dec 22nd 2014

nsa.gif

I’m sorry, I hate to sound critical, but you’d think this gag were mandatory this year…

Filed in B.C., Bill Bickel, NSA, Santa Claus, comic strips, comics, humor | 10 responses so far

10 Responses to ““Really?? I was POSITIVE I was the only cartoonist clever enough to think of the Santa/NSA gag!””

1. Kamino Neko Dec 22nd 2014 at 05:40 pm 1

While it is a pretty obvious, cheap gag, I haven’t seen anyone else do it (the closest was Nancy having a minor paranoid moment regarding that song). Some examples?

2. J-L Dec 22nd 2014 at 05:45 pm 2

This reminds me of a common experience of people who have/had a job with secret clearance with the United States government and/or military.

When finding out about this, other people often respond, “You could tell me what you do, but then you’d have to kill me, right?” Then the government/military worker has to stifle a sarcastic response of, “Ha, ha! That’s very clever! I’ve never heard that one before! I’ll have to write it down so I’ll never forget it!”

3. James Pollock Dec 22nd 2014 at 06:12 pm 3

The correct response to “you could tell me, but then you’d have to kill me, right?” is “I don’t think you’re on the list, but I can check for you…”

4. Elyrest Dec 22nd 2014 at 06:31 pm 4

There’s a couple of professors equating the Elf on the Shelf as being the normalization of surveillance with children. Personally I thought God and Santa Claus already had this spy stuff all sewn up. “He sees you when your sleeping”? Creepy!

5. Winter Wallaby Dec 22nd 2014 at 07:31 pm 5

Kamino Neko #1: examples galore

Elyrest #4: Santa Claus may be creepy in the abstract, but personally, I find Elf on a Shelf much more tangibly creepy.

6. James Pollock Dec 22nd 2014 at 08:34 pm 6

Santa Claus is known to use a distributed surveillance system.

What’s far more chilling is his ability (and willingness!) to enter domiciles without waking the occupants.

7. Morris Keesan Dec 24th 2014 at 12:27 pm 7

I remember someone doing a very menacing spoken version of “You’d Better Watch Out” on the Smothers Brothers television show, but a quick search on YouTube just pops up this other version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRQYJ4ilaqs

8. goldsborojoe Dec 24th 2014 at 10:44 pm 8

Calvin and Hobbes did this joke in 2009. http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2009/01/29/

9. Meryl A Dec 28th 2014 at 04:43 am 9

Winter Wallaby (5) - I heartily agree - teach children that someone is always watching you are reporting on you to someone else - ick.

Even worse though is that it was, of course, copied for the Mensch on the Shelf for Chanukah.

10. Cats Servant Jan 22nd 2015 at 03:42 am 10

This was also in a Calvin and Hobbs joke in the mid-90’s. “Kindly old gentleman or CIA spook”