Bears like honey, but clearly that has nothing to do with any of this…

Cidu Bill on Mar 27th 2014

cidu-bound-bear-danasummers.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bound and Gagged, CIDU, Dana Summers, comic strips, comics, humor | 25 responses so far

25 Responses to “Bears like honey, but clearly that has nothing to do with any of this…”

1. Arthur Mar 27th 2014 at 12:06 am 1

“Honey” is his wife, who happens to be a bear. She might agree
    that people are encroaching. (Though I guess she might not see
    it as a negative.)

2. Kit Mar 27th 2014 at 12:15 am 2

I read it as the bears encroaching back.

3. Nicole Mar 27th 2014 at 12:28 am 3

He is a furry

4. mitch4 Mar 27th 2014 at 02:28 am 4

I thought the picture (and the joke) were basically just the turnabout of the news item he’s reading — here Nature (in the form of his wife, Honey the bear) is inhabiting (if not “encroaching”) the human environment.

5. mitch4 Mar 27th 2014 at 02:30 am 5

(No, I don’t mean her name must be Honey — that’s presumably his preferred endearment.)

6. James Pollock Mar 27th 2014 at 02:33 am 6

When humans encroach nature, nature encroaches back. This bear is very good at adapting to her new habitat.

“Honey” isn’t answering because she’s, um, sleeping in the next room. Yeah, that’s it… sleeping.

7. Jeff S. Mar 27th 2014 at 07:31 am 7

The bear encroached back so much, it ate his wife and assumed her role in the family.

8. Ian Osmond Mar 27th 2014 at 08:15 am 8

I’m with Jeff S. When humanity encroaches into wildlife territory, wildlife enters people’s property: alligators in people’s pools, coyotes eating people’s pets, bears going through people’s garbage. In this case, a bear made it into the house and killed his wife. At that point, because the bear knew the encroachment wouldn’t go away, it adapted to its new habitat.

9. mitch4 Mar 27th 2014 at 08:24 am 9

Okay, yeah, I can see the “bear killed the human wife” reading. The “interspecies marriage” reading was somehow a little sweeter.

10. Judge Mental Mar 27th 2014 at 09:19 am 10

I considered both “bear is wife” or “bear killed wife” (same as Ian @ 8) , but my interpretation is merely that the man has heard stirring in the kitchen and mistakenly *assumes* that it his wife, when it is in fact just the bear making himself/herself at home.

I don’t think it is “bear is wife” due to the “…honey?” at the end of the husband’s dialogue. That phrase is present specifically to convey that the wife isn’t there to respond. It would not be necessary for the “bear-wife” scenario, even if it could be explained by a hard-of-hearing bear.

The only argument I really have against the “bear killed wife” interpretation is that it seems gruesome for a typical “Bound and Gagged” comic. (though with a name like “Bound and Gagged”, maybe I really *should* have been expecting harsh comics all along). It seems particularly ghoulish that the bear would kill wife, then take her apron.

11. Daniel J. Drazen Mar 27th 2014 at 10:14 am 11

On the flip side, everything she cooks is juuuuuust right.

12. 1958Fury Mar 27th 2014 at 10:16 am 12

I also saw “Bear is wife” and “Bear killed wife” (though the latter seems less likely). Also, I wondered if there might be a racial parallel. One interracial couple I know, the woman (who is black) has had more experience with racial inequality, and her husband (white) sometimes asks her questions about racism. So the comic would be like the husband reading the paper and calling out, “Honey, it says here white landlords sometimes charge higher rates for black tenants, is that true?” Of course, one problem with that interpretation is that it compares minorities to animals.

13. fj Mar 27th 2014 at 10:53 am 13

My interpretation was what Judge Mental eventually settled on. The man hears something in the kitchen and assumes it is his wife. He shares the bit about humans encroaching on wildlife’s habitat, and is surprised when he does not get an answer. Nature is encroaching back. I see no reason to assume that the bear is the wife or that the bear ate the wife, but I do think that if the bear were not wearing an apron, there would be less confusion.

As far as the subject matter, this xkcd sums up the situation:

14. James Pollock Mar 27th 2014 at 11:24 am 14

“The only argument I really have against the “bear killed wife” interpretation is that it seems gruesome for a typical “Bound and Gagged” comic”

If it makes you more comfortable, you can always just assume that wife saw bear and fled, unharmed, and the “bear killed wife” scenario should be referred to by the wordier “bear took wife’s place either with or without killing her first”.

15. J-L Mar 27th 2014 at 11:58 am 15

I tend to agree with Kit (#2), in that the bears are encroaching back.

Maybe not so much “encroaching back,” but simply making themselves at home in what was once considered their own home.

“Encroach.” That word has a certain ring to it. “Encroach.” What I’d expect to hear if someone stepped on a cockroach. Or if someone needed to clear their throat, you might say to them, “Have you tried to encroach your throat? You sound like you need a good encroaching.”

16. Erich Mar 27th 2014 at 12:59 pm 16

Regarding the word “encroach”:
    I remember an old Benny Hill sketch where Benny was doing one of his “funny foreigner” characters, and he said “cockroach” when he meant “encroach.” He then corrected himself: “Oh, that’s right! ‘Encroach!’ We must use the feminine ‘hen!’ We must not use the masculine ‘co–’” (At this point, I believe the interviewer cut him off mid-word.)

17. $$$WESTVIEWONCOLOGIST$$$ Mar 27th 2014 at 04:19 pm 17

The “Honey?” at the end, indicates that the she-bear is definitely not his wife. As to fate of this poor guy’s wife….it will remain an unsolved mystery.

18. Mona Mar 27th 2014 at 08:17 pm 18

Erich - LOL! I haven’t seen any Benny Hill (reruns, of course) in many years.
    “(At this point, I believe the interviewer cut him off mid-word.)”
    Poor Benny! I imagine that would be quite painful!
    It is never pleasant to have your slauson cut off.

19. Bob in Nashville Mar 27th 2014 at 09:34 pm 19

She can’t talk right now. She’s cooking.

Don’t worry, she’ll be done soon.

20. Jim Mar 28th 2014 at 09:39 am 20

His wife is a bear. He’s about to become a Plugger.

21. Bob Mar 28th 2014 at 12:13 pm 21

Mona - was Benny a Mighty Carson Art player?

22. Mona Mar 28th 2014 at 12:34 pm 22

Bob - No, one thought just led to the other. I wondered what comments it would generate.

23. Pinny Mar 28th 2014 at 05:13 pm 23

I simply that his wife is out shopping. He has been sitting in the living room with his back to the kitchen for hours. When he heard had the sounds of someone cooking in the kitchen he assumed that it was his wife. If was actually a bear “invading” or “starting to take over” the man’s natural habitat.

24. Kit Mar 28th 2014 at 06:35 pm 24

Jim @20 wins :)

25. Meryl A Apr 4th 2014 at 02:29 am 25

I polled my teddy bear collection (at least a couple of hundred including stuffed and figurines) and they think that the wife went out to run errands and husband did not know that she had hired a housebear to help with the cooking and cleaning. Either that or it is NJ and the bear hiding from the bear hunters. Either way, they do get carried away with their ideas.

Perhaps the man is in the wrong house and is encroaching on the bear’s habitat (home)?