WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (12546) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Comics I Don’t Understand » Sunday Funnies: LOL, January 26, 2014

Sunday Funnies: LOL, January 26, 2014

on Jan 26th 2014

lol-bizarro-justin1.gif

lol-brew-tieers.gif

2014-01-08-that-new-dungeon-smell.png

lol-speedbump.gif

lol-lassie.jpg

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (12546) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Filed in

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (12546) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Uncategorized | 35 responses so far

35 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, January 26, 2014”

1. minorannoyance Jan 26th 2014 at 12:47 am 1

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Suddenly thinking, there WAS a moment when every dungeon was brand new. Maybe no celebrity ribbon-cutting, but certainly the lord of the manner walking around and musing whether there are enough cells, or the shackles are high enough off the floor. And for the first few weeks at least, a proud jailer trying to keep it looking spiffy.

2. Mona Jan 26th 2014 at 01:12 am 2

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

New dungeons are called “playrooms” these days, and are usually kept quiet among friends. They may have celebrity ribbon cuttings, but are not publicized outside of the select group.
    The other comics are indeed LOLs.

3. Kilby Jan 26th 2014 at 05:53 am 3

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Considering where Justin appears to have his hand, I’d put the first one closer to “Ewww” than “LOL”.

4. Keera Jan 26th 2014 at 06:12 am 4

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

All good offerings! I like the Speedbump one best. The art combines several panels — well done! Now, off to listen to “Tears of a Clown” so I can clear out that ear worm.

5. John Small Berries Jan 26th 2014 at 09:42 am 5

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The New Yorker one is a CIDU for me… and I work in IT.

6. mitch4 Jan 26th 2014 at 11:13 am 6

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The New Yorker / IT cartoon is indeed a bit puzzling, but I think can be understood as surrealism or whimsy. The idea is that the guy sitting at the desk with the laptop is himself degrading in resolution somehow, and rendering (in the real world) only with a lo-res blocky pixellation. Who can save him? Only the I.T. team — and since our computers and phones are apparently not working, the way to send for them is to send loyal dog Lassie with the message.

7. zookeeper Jan 26th 2014 at 12:34 pm 7

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Thanks Mona. I love a gal in the know.

8. Joseph K. Jan 26th 2014 at 12:37 pm 8

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I don’t get the scott-justin dummy one. It’s just bizarro. The little guy is a dummy or puppet? Why does the dummy look like the man? And why is he apparently embarrassed to be with someone else? And why is the dummy drinking a martini, and the man a beer? Why are they at a party?

9. Joshua Jan 26th 2014 at 12:50 pm 9

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@Joseph K.: The dummy is dressed like Scott because he belongs to Scott, but he is “cheating” on Scott by seeing another ventriloquist.

10. padraig Jan 26th 2014 at 12:54 pm 10

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“Honey, the kids are all grown up and moved out, and nobody’s used the playroom for years. Isn’t there SOMEthing we could be doing with all that space, and all the climbing and hanging racks they used to play on?”

11. Robert Jan 26th 2014 at 03:13 pm 11

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The Bizarro reminds me - fictional ventriloquists are usually at least creepy, if not downright insane. Real ventriloquists, in my experience, are typically harmlessly weird, like prop comics with only one prop. Full disclosure - I actually got a Charlie McCarthy dummy for Christmas one year. Ventriloquism helped me get over my stammer, but I never actually performed for an audience.

12. Boise Ed Jan 26th 2014 at 04:27 pm 12

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Are there ventriloquists anymore? I haven’t seen one in decades. I think they’ve gone the way of guys spinning plates on top of poles. Or Topo Gigio.

13. Mona Jan 26th 2014 at 04:40 pm 13

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Boise Ed - Just go to Branson, MO!
    I’ll try to remember to post a link to a great entertainer when I get home. I can’t remember his name right now. He has a “talking” dog. There’s another one, too, but I am currently suffering from CRS. Sorry.

14. Todd Jan 26th 2014 at 04:54 pm 14

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Initially, I didn’t get the Bizarro, and the rest I would categorize as “I get it, but why is it funny?”

How common is it for a ventriloquist to have a dummy that looks like himself? I don’t think Scott is the ventriloquist; he just dresses in flashy outfits. Justin is a ventriloquist, and Scott is the inspiration for his dummy. Justin didn’t know that Scott was going to be at the party and brought his dummy. Whoops.

15. Pirk Jan 26th 2014 at 07:09 pm 15

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I like Todd’s interpretation. I actually came to the comment sections to say I didn’t understand the Bizarro one, and I still am not quite sure I get it. It’s funnier though if you assume it’s a realistic joke and the dummy isn’t actually alive.

To all of you asking if ventriloquism is still a thing, I’m sure you’ve blocked Jeff Dunham out of your mind but he is one of the most successful comedian in the world.

16. Molly J Jan 26th 2014 at 07:49 pm 16

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Are there still ventriloquists? Well, there’s Jeff Dunham. Or were you talking about ventriloquists that are actually funny?

17. Mona Jan 26th 2014 at 07:51 pm 17

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Boise Ed - The guy with the talking dog is Todd Oliver. His website is funnydog.com. His bits are pretty funny, especially if you like silly. He does one where his talking dog gets a job as a Walmart greeter - “Welcome to Walmart!”
    The other one I was trying to remember is Terry Fator, he is excellent.
    Molly J might even like him. His website is terryfator.com.
    You can watch both of them on YouTube.

18. Jeff S. Jan 26th 2014 at 07:57 pm 18

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Jeff Dunham, the ventriloquist, is currently on tour. He has several dummies in his act, but none of them look like him, AFAIK. He has — Achmed the Dead Terrorist, Walter, Peanut, Jose Jalapeno on a Stick, Bubba J, and several others.

19. squeepy Jan 26th 2014 at 09:08 pm 19

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I think the New Yorker one must be about 15 years old, and referring to an early internet community called the WELL….and our pixelated gentleman has fallen down it.

20. minorannoyance Jan 26th 2014 at 11:22 pm 20

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Far Side: An old-time ventriloquist is getting his hand bandaged up by a country doctor; his bullet-ridden dummy sits nearby. The doctor comments that it’s a shame the ventriloquist was sitting so close when the dummy ticked off a cowboy.

21. Daniel J. Drazen Jan 27th 2014 at 08:41 am 21

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

So either they forgot the really bottom tier for “rodeo clowns” or else they automatically wind up in the circular file.

Definition of a rodeo clown: “You see, a *circus* clown is a carnie who’s too stupid to flip a ride switch on and off. Now you take a circus clown, roll him on the barn floor, and kick him in the head a couple hundred times, and what have you got?” From an episode of “King of the Hill”

22. DanV Jan 27th 2014 at 12:09 pm 22

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I was wondering where Shriner clowns fit in the hierarchy.

23. Mona Jan 27th 2014 at 12:35 pm 23

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

It’s a shame there is a full size file cabinet in the background.
    I was picturing a tiny little file cabinet that all of the clown resumes would come pouring out of.

24. The Bad Seed Jan 27th 2014 at 12:44 pm 24

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Whether the dummy is cheating on Scott with Justin, or Justin is stalking Scott by making a dummy of him, I find the Bizarro pretty hilarious - and maybe even moreso because of the multiple possible meanings. I think the first scenario is most probable, based on the tacky tux on Scott.

25. Mona Jan 27th 2014 at 01:33 pm 25

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I agree with you, The Bad Seed, about it being funny because of the possible multiple meanings.
    I also agree that most likely the dummy is cheating, because of his hesitancy in introducing Justin.

26. Joseph K. Jan 27th 2014 at 02:43 pm 26

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Bizarro would make sense if ventriloquist’s dummy’s typically looked like the ventriloquist, but I don’t think they do, do they?

27. Judge Mental Jan 27th 2014 at 02:59 pm 27

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I am not sure if the dummy looking like the ventriloquist is still done, but that use to be the norm. Fame figure maker Frank Marshall used to always make his dummies look like the ventriloquist. Charlie McCarthy looked like Edgar Bergan, Jerry Mahoney looked like Paul Winchell and Danny O’Day looked like Jimmy Nelson

28. Ian Osmond Jan 27th 2014 at 03:02 pm 28

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Molly J @ 16: have there EVER been ventriloquists who were funny? I mean, I listen to old-time radio on my phone, and I’ve listed to Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, and, y’know, they’re probably the least funny of all the old-time radio comedians. All the laughs they get are from their guest stars.

(Also, “radio ventriloquist” has got to be one of the least impressive job titles in history. Still not really sure why Bergen is so revered. Still, his Muppet Show episode is good, especially because of Fozzie’s “ventriloquist” act.)

29. NitricAcid Jan 27th 2014 at 04:27 pm 29

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

minorannoyance: I think it was, “The way I hear it, it was your buddy that mouthed off at them gunslingers in the first place.”

30. Pinny Jan 27th 2014 at 06:07 pm 30

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Terry Fator has the (unique?) skill of having his dummies do uncanny, spot-on impersonations of singers. In other words he can pretty much perfectly impersonate many, many singer’s’ voices without moving his lips. That and the fact that he signed one of the the biggest entertainment deal in Las Vegas, makes me think of him as the David Copperfield of ventriloquism.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Fator
    On May 13, 2008 it was announced that Fator had signed a five year, $100 million contract to perform nightly at The Mirage in Las Vegas. He replaced headliner Danny Gans and the theater was renamed the Terry Fator Theatre. Reportedly, Fator’s deal is one of the largest entertainment deals in Las Vegas history.

31. Boise Ed Jan 27th 2014 at 09:05 pm 31

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Ian, I think the radio appearances of Edgar Bergen appealed to those who had seen him in vaudeville or wherever, and then later he had a lot of TV appearances, which is where I learned to enjoy his act.

32. Mark in Boston Jan 27th 2014 at 10:18 pm 32

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Well, Edgar Bergen was the straight man in the act. He never said anything funny. He let Charlie and Mortimer say the funny stuff.

Bergen: “Oh, Mortimer, how CAN you be so stupid?”
    Mortimer: “I got someone helping me!”

What makes that one funnier is that it’s literally true.

33. Meryl A Jan 29th 2014 at 02:03 am 33

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Candace Bergen was once asked about her “brother” and growing up with him. She told a story about when she was young and her parents decided to tell her that her “brother” was not real. Her reaction - “Dad, your lips move.”

There is an episode of the Jack Benny show where Jack goes to Bergen’s house (Jack and Frances Bergen, Edgar’s wife, call him Bergen, so that seems to be what he was called). Bergen is not there and Frances has Jack wait for him. As they are doing so Charlie McCarthy walks into the room and she has fix what he is wearing before he walks out to play with friends (in tux and top hat of course). Jack is amazed that Charlie was real. They talk awhile. I believe Frances sings or plays piano or such. Then Mortimer Snerd walks out and does a bit of his usual confusion before leaving. This leaves Jack even more confused. When Bergen finally shows up Jack and he have a conversation that Jack never knew they were real and jokes about theater and acting. Charlie and Mortimer must have been little people or such in costume. Charlie (or at least one of him) is at the Smithsonian.

Bergen also acted (well) without his little friends. He is in “I Remember Mama” and plays Mr. Thorkelson who marries the single aunt played by Ellen Corby (Grandma Walton). He has a Norwegian accent and is great in the part. I had not realized it was him for some years as he is so different looking and not doing Charlie or Mortimer’s voices.

Edgar Bergen also made movies on his own

34. Meryl A Jan 29th 2014 at 02:05 am 34

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

There is a ventriloquist out of the Lancaster, PA area who does a “Christian” ventriloquist act. He is very busy in the area and also does cruises, not the Tonight show, but he works constantly. Forgot his name (and no I have never seen his act, just the write ups in the local papers.

35. Mark in Boston Jan 29th 2014 at 10:24 pm 35

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I can imagine what a “Christian” ventriloquist act would be like, but it is too blasphemous to describe here.