Santchonicity [language advisory]

Cidu Bill on Dec 26th 2013

Today’s Pardon My Planet, and half a dozen of my friends’ Facebook updates:

fatskinny.gif

fatskinny.jpg

Filed in Bill Bickel, Christmas, Facebook, Pardon My Planet, Santa Claus, Vic Lee, comics, humor, synchronicity | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Santchonicity [language advisory]”

1. PG Dec 26th 2013 at 01:27 am 1

Either the girl in the first comic is referring to someone else’s body, or she’s got anorexia, seriously.

2. Jeff Lichtman Dec 26th 2013 at 01:45 am 2

Yeah, seriously. If she’s too fat, what would skinny look like? At first I thought she was scolding Santa for being fat and poor.

3. Kilby Dec 26th 2013 at 02:59 am 3

She probably thinks she’s fat only because she’s comparing herself to her emaciated bank account.

4. Keera Dec 26th 2013 at 06:54 am 4

Well, when a size 12 model gets the label “plus size”, normal obviously looks fat to a lot of people.

Do people really ask Santa for such things? Fat bank accounts and skinny bodies? I thought that was what New Year’s resolutions were for: Spend less, eat less. Are people trying to cheat or something??? ;-)

5. chuckers Dec 26th 2013 at 08:46 am 5

Damn, dyslexia.

I mis read the first one as “Skinny Boy” and was wondering why everyone was up in arms about the woman complaining about herself.

Now that I re-read it, I see where everyone is coming from. She could do with a few more pounds, to be honest.

6. LarryLunts Dec 26th 2013 at 10:37 am 6

Keera: When I was Santa, in 2003, Anna Nicole Smith sat on my lap and told me she just wanted her current boyfriend “to be nice” to her. After my talk with Anna, I strode up to said boyfriend, poked him in the chest, and ordered him to be nice to Anna. I told him Santa would be watching!

7. Silk Dec 26th 2013 at 12:44 pm 7

I don’t think the woman is asking for a fat bank account and skinny body for herself; I think she’s describing the boyfriend she wants.

8. Brent Dec 26th 2013 at 02:12 pm 8

Keera (4): Normal is a lot more heavy set than it used to be… watching things like SCTV from the early 80s can be confusing, because John Candy is treated as being fat, and yet he just looks like an average Joe you’d see on the street today (and I suspect that size 12 was a “plus size” then, and would have been more notably special… it just hasn’t changed while people have). Nobody seriously takes models to be normal by any means… they’re idealized and exception cases. Most people want to look more like that, but that’s because they see that as being better than normal, not as normal.

As for the comic, maybe she’s just complaining about putting on weight last Christmas which she has since lost by her own effort? All that doesn’t really understand why she’d need to ask for it again now.

9. Elyrest Dec 26th 2013 at 07:51 pm 9

” I suspect that size 12 was a “plus size” then, and would have been more notably special… it just hasn’t changed while people have’

Brent - You are wrong about about this. Sizing has changed noticeably through the years. You might not be a good judge of this as I’m pretty sure you are a guy. Sizing for men is completely different. I have clothes from the 1960s, 70s, 80s and 90s. I have nieces who are in their 20s who wear sizes 2 & 4 who can’t fit into the size 10s I had from the 70s. They didn’t even try the smaller sizes after that. Yes, peoples sizes are different now and it’s for many different reasons, but a size 12 was NEVER a plus-size until fairly recently. Celebrities on the other hand are getting skinnier and skinnier. Some women, and men too, look more like lollipops than people.

10. Chakolate Dec 26th 2013 at 08:28 pm 10

Elyrest is right. How can there be a size zero? But there is.

11. Brent Dec 26th 2013 at 10:16 pm 11

Elyrest (8): It can’t be that recent… my sister was a size 12 “plus size” model twenty years ago. Which is what I was basing that comment on.

If size 10s from the 70s no longer fit size 2s today, then that really supports my point. People have gotten bigger, and I can certainly accept that clothes shifted to better match the people. And what that means that if we took a plus-size from today to the past in the WAYBAC machine, we’d find that it would be considered gigantic. If size 12 isn’t the same in the two periods then there’s really no comparison. Size 6 might be plus size in forty years, but that doesn’t mean that people of the future have fully embraced the xkcd aesthetic… it could be that the sizes have been shifted so that size 6 just happens to sit at the same percentile as size 12 today.

And celebrities haven’t really been getting skinnier… there have been stick people celebrities held up for their beauty for a long time. Audrey Hepburn was so frail she needed to be bedridden during pregnancy or she’d miscarry. There’s always been a range… celebrities like Beyoncé are seen as sexy because they are not stick people, and we can thank Sir Mix-a-Lot and his twenty years of work on getting curvy girls some recognition for some of that. What really has changed for celebrities is that it’s much easier to manipulate their images to make them meet impossible ideals like looking skinnier and less blemished. But my point remains that nobody really thinks that is normal. Everybody has been saying that “these images aren’t normal” for decades, it’s time everybody realized that everyone is saying that and no one is actually disputing it. Trying to live up to these literally impossible ideals isn’t about being normal, it’s about wanting to be better than average. Trying to fix this issue by just getting people to dismiss the images as abnormal isn’t the way, because that can lead to do nothing and accepting being in an unhealthy condition (or worse yet, being proud of it). What’s needed is finding reasonable paths and goals for bettering yourself.

12. Chakolate Dec 26th 2013 at 10:42 pm 12

I don’t think you understand, Brent. It’s called ‘vanity sizing’, making clothes that are bigger have a smaller size. It’s true that many people (perhaps the average person) is heavier now than before, but it’s the clothes that have changed even more.

If you go to a vintage shop and find something from the 60’s, and you normally wear a size 4 now, you would have to find a size 8 or 10 to have 60’s clothing fit.

The change in sizes says nothing about how big the people are who are wearing them.

13. Elyrest Dec 26th 2013 at 11:29 pm 13

Chakolate’s right Brent, you seem to be confusing weight and sizing. I’m saying that in 1975 at a size 10 I was the same size as my niece is now at a size 4. It doesn’t mean that she is any fatter than I was, only that the labels on the clothing had different numbers. There was no such thing as a size 0 and you had to be size 16 to be considered a plus-size.

* Audrey Hepburn is not a good example as she suffered from malnutrition during the war years and was considered unusually thin even for her own time.