I’ve Never Metaphor I Didn’t Like

Cidu Bill on Dec 26th 2013

fz131208.jpg

Filed in Bil Bickel, CIDU, Frazz, Jef Mallett, comic strips, comics, humor | 10 responses so far

10 Responses to “I’ve Never Metaphor I Didn’t Like”

1. Mark in Boston Dec 26th 2013 at 12:26 am 1

Because she doesn’t understand it either.

2. Jeff Lichtman Dec 26th 2013 at 01:41 am 2

His metaphor is snowballing out of control.

3. Detcord Dec 26th 2013 at 04:03 am 3

…but his Superman-like powers seem to be intact.

4. Keera Dec 26th 2013 at 06:55 am 4

I know I don’t get it. Could somebody post their explanatory essay here?

5. Ooten Aboot Dec 26th 2013 at 09:15 am 5

I would understand this comic if the kid were rolling the snowball uphill. That’s a metaphor that connotes undertaking a course of action that is likely to backfire catastrophically, such as overly aggressive tax planning. In the Frazz scene, all that will happen is that the snowball will become impossible to roll any farther.

For me, snowballing out of control, mentioned by Jeff Lichtman #2, conjures the image of a snowball rolling downhill on its own, which is to say the inevitable result of rolling the snowball uphill until it is too large to push farther.

That’s my explanatory essay for Boxing Day.

6. yellojkt Dec 26th 2013 at 10:15 am 6

Camus’ famous essay “The Myth of Sisyphus” was about the futility of rolling a boulder uphill. Making an enormous snowball on a sunny day would be just as useless.

7. Daniel J. Drazen Dec 26th 2013 at 10:34 am 7

The kid is also leaving way too much show behind. When we made snowmen like that back in the day, we usually struck grass after a point.

8. zookeeper Dec 26th 2013 at 11:11 am 8

“When you’re finished…” You’re never finished.

9. The Bad Seed Dec 26th 2013 at 11:21 am 9

I tend to think of “snowballing” as a combination of out-of-control increasing size and speed, so this huge snowball grinding to a halt is pretty much the exact opposite for me. It was totally under his control, and now it’s not going anywhere but melting.

10. Tom T. Dec 26th 2013 at 12:25 pm 10

There’s also “snowballing,” the sexual practice referred to in the movie “Clerks,” but I’m confident that that’s not what’s being referenced here.