WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (12169) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Comics I Don’t Understand » Sunday Funnies: LOL, October 20, 2013

Sunday Funnies: LOL, October 20, 2013

on Oct 20th 2013

lol-arlo-opyions1.jpg

lol-bizarro-deer1.gif

lol-brew-parakeet.gif

lol-nydannyshanahan.PNG

Nicole:

2013-10-18-little-girl-and-boy-land.png

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (12169) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Filed in

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (12169) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Uncategorized | 35 responses so far

35 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, October 20, 2013”

1. Kilby Oct 20th 2013 at 12:28 am 1

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

It’s nice to see comics that are still hand-lettered.

2. Molly J Oct 20th 2013 at 07:10 am 2

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The Bizzaro is truly disturbing.

3. Powers Oct 20th 2013 at 08:50 am 3

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

That “Bug” is far more disturbing. Do people really think like that? That girls like ovens and boys like rockets? That making a toy gender-neutral means obscuring the toy characters’ gender?

4. Kilby Oct 20th 2013 at 09:09 am 4

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@ Powers (3) - I do not know whether “people” think like that, but I am sure that all of the executives in the Mattel and Hasbro conglomerates truly beleive that the vast majority of their mindless customers do think like that. For a parent, it is sometimes very hard to escape from the straight jacket formed by the product selection available in the nearest toy store.

5. PG Oct 20th 2013 at 12:05 pm 5

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

What I find most disturbing about the Bizarro is that she says Curtis’ name AFTER she finishes the sentence. How does he know to start paying attention unless she calls his name FIRST?!

6. farmer Oct 20th 2013 at 01:58 pm 6

PG #5,

Who says he is paying attention? And if they’re a couple with no kids in the house, who else would she be talking to? My wife says stuff to open space all the time, assuming I’ll pay attention since I’m in the same room. I don’t really need her to use my name every time she speaks.

7. Treesong Oct 20th 2013 at 02:03 pm 7

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Powers, I do think that on the average, more girls like ovens than boys do, and more boys like rockets than girls do, and this is not merely a matter of socialization. Not saying this is a good thing, just that it’s a thing. And if the skew is strong enough, manufacturers could reasonably decide that the best use of marketing money would not include marketing ovens to boys or rockets to girls.

And of course ‘He-Person’ is hardly a way to obscure a character’s gender; it’s just goofing. The way they cross-market is, for example, to create She-Ra as He-Man’s twin sister. (On the other hand, do Care Bears have gender?)

8. Elyrest Oct 20th 2013 at 02:08 pm 8

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“do Care Bears have gender?”

Where do baby Care Bears come from?

9. minorannoyance Oct 20th 2013 at 03:17 pm 9

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I don’t know about the tank, but I would have gone for anything that combined toy weaponry with real cookies.

As a kid I had and enjoyed the Remco Showboat, an Americanization of the tradition British toy theaters. It had cardboard characters and stage sets for four different playlets; presumably there would have been more if the toy were a hit.

Decades later I was upset to see it described on eBay as a “girl’s toy”. I honestly never regarded it as such, even though it was pink. Remco was a very macho brand, producing cool stuff like fighter pilot control panels, working cannons and science kits (”The thinking boy’s toys”).

10. Boise Ed Oct 21st 2013 at 12:08 am 10

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I got a huge kick out of the canary one. Were I a canary, back when they had that role, I’d have loved to mess with their minds that way.

11. Nicole Oct 21st 2013 at 09:06 am 11

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Powers — For years Toy’s R Us was divided into pink and blue aisles, I’ll let you figure out which aisles contained toys for girls and which was for boys. They only recently announced that they were going to do away with the gender segregation of toys. Even soap and shampoo are ‘gendered’ for children — oh wait .. they are being gendered for adults as well. IMHO this is do to the deep held fear that many men have that if they use ANYTHING that women use thier penis will dry up, drop off and they will grow breasts.

12. David S. Oct 21st 2013 at 02:48 pm 12

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Of course Care Bears have gender, though they did switch the gender of one of the Cousins between the first and third movies. I don’t know where baby Care Bears come from, though.

Someone pointed out that the little robotic hamsters, Zhu-Zhus or whatever, produced a set of fighting hamsters for boys and dancing hamsters for girls. Except for the color changes, they were entirely identical and did the same actions.

13. DanV Oct 21st 2013 at 02:48 pm 13

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Okay, the shoot your apples one is a CIDU for me. I guess it’s a play on “pick your own” farms. We have several of those around here, including strawberries, blueberries and pumpkin patches. Lots of apple orchards, too, none of them self-serve.
    I’ve looked this over several times, and can’t figure out the joke. I’m probably just being obtuse, but could someone please explain, why is this funny?

14. Elyrest Oct 21st 2013 at 03:05 pm 14

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

DanV - The apple one got only a mild chuckle out of me. It’s combines harvesting and hunting in one nice autumn activity. I don’t know if there is anything more there, but someone else might see something.

15. farmer Oct 21st 2013 at 05:11 pm 15

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

re.13 & 14, if you look closely, the entire farm family standing out front have apples perched on their heads. I assume it’s a play on William Tell and pick-your-own, though it’s too nonsensical to be very funny (to me, anyway).

16. Dave in Boston Oct 21st 2013 at 05:29 pm 16

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Nicole: I don’ t remember ToysRUs being that overtly gendered when I was a kid, but that was a long time ago, before boomer parents got all threatened by changing social norms. I do remember that you could spot the Barbie aisle from a distance by the radioactive pink glow of the packaging, though.

(as for the deep-held fear, you’re totally right.)

17. Ian Osmond Oct 21st 2013 at 08:11 pm 17

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

DanV: You’re clearly not a New Englander. Pick-your-own apples, often in family-owned orchards, is very, very much a Thing around here.

18. Ian Osmond Oct 21st 2013 at 08:16 pm 18

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

When I was a kid, Fisher-Price packaging and ads showed both boys and girls playing with their toy stoves and trucks and everything. Mattel was strongly gendered; Hasbro less so, but still some (this is when Mattel and Hasbro were different companies). In the cases where Parker Brothers advertisement included kids, it generally showed both boys and girls playing the games. Milton Bradley, too, tended to show both boys and girls playing with their toys.

I seem to remember the strong gendering happening in the late Eighties or so.

19. jajizi Oct 21st 2013 at 09:11 pm 19

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

A few years ago, at a scientific lecture (I don’t remember the exact topic) the speaker mentioned, in passing, an experiment in which young monkeys were offered a choice of toys. The girl monkeys usually picked the doll and the boy monkeys usually picked the truck.

20. Nicole Oct 21st 2013 at 09:39 pm 20

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

jajizi — Notice, that in your monkey example … the monkeys are doing in the picking. I have no problem with girls usually picking dolls and boys usually picking trucks. The advertising, the layout of the toy stores, make it clear who is supposed to play with what. I just don’t think boys who want to pick a doll or girls who want to pick a truck to feel like they are breaking some gender taboo.

I was in a local Target, walking through the shoe section. A little boy of 3 (?) was pointing to a pair of pink Hello Kitty rain boots and asking his mother for them . His mother in a less than kind voice told him ‘NO! no son of mine is going to wear pink boots” . I suppose she was afraid Hello Kitty would put some gay mojo on her son.

This IS the problem. There is no reason he shouldn’t have had the pink Hello Kitty rain boots other than they are ‘for girls’. While there is less stigma the other way, I am sure there are mothers who would steer their daughters away from the Spiderman boots over to Hello Kitty.

Oh — and can we PLEASE stop calling them ‘action figures’ .. they are dolls. Oh wait .. that apparently scares the hell out of some people

21. Wendy Oct 22nd 2013 at 10:12 am 21

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

As a parent, I am frustrated by this too, and even more annoyed when they take a toy that is perfectly fine for any child and make a pink version. Why do I want a pink push-popper, pink sit-n-spin, pink and purple ring tower, or (my personal peeve) pink school bus? What’s wrong with the primary colors they used to be in? I purposely bought most toys in primary colors for my daughter, thinking “what if my next one is a boy”, and lucky me, he was. I just don’t understand why they don’t try to make more toys appeal to both genders, or at least make them available in neutral (primary) colors. Not every baby doll has to be a girl (we looked long and hard for a baby boy for our daughter to play with when we found out she was getting a baby brother). Not every toy kitchen has to be pink. I’m not saying that if you already make something (RC cars, maybe) in 4 colors that making a 5th one in pink is bad, but just taking a regular toy intended for any child and making a pink version “just for girls” is dumb. It increases the gender gap and the “programming” of how girls should be and how boys should be. I feel this is especially important for toddlers. I realize that as they get to school age, kids do tend to gravitate toward toys aimed at their gender, but there’s no reason to push it on them before they can walk and talk.

And a similar problem can be finding things that don’t have licensed characters or giant company logos on them. I don’t want a “Dora” doll house, because kids out grow Dora at 4, but can play with doll houses until they are 10. I didn’t get Thomas train stuff, but got another brand that look like real trains for a similar reason. And I don’t want my 2yo learning to like only clothes with a Nike swoosh or whatever logo (or character) on them. Of course, that’s another issue for me. I resent companies turning me into a walking billboard for them and making me pay for it.

22. minorannoyance Oct 22nd 2013 at 04:03 pm 22

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Wendy: I remember the anxiety of choosing a lunchbox, because they were all TV shows or movies, the coolest ones were always sold out, and you got one for a detective show you didn’t really watch and worried it would get cancelled and you’d be stuck with a loser lunchbox . . .

23. Meryl A Oct 23rd 2013 at 12:58 am 23

Wendy -

I don’t understand why everything girl must be pink. I find pink tools for women insulting. Pink electric trains for girls? They don’t look like real trains as the other electric trains do, who wants them.

A girl recently complained that the Easy Bake oven is pink as her little brother likes it and doesn’t want pink. When my sister had one in the 1960’s it was a green blue color, so the pink is a “modern” change. (Also her brother was around 5 years old, considerably under the 8 and over age on the oven.

24. Meryl A Oct 23rd 2013 at 01:01 am 24

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

As to Arlo, lately I have been using “humprahum” instead of pushing buttons (or actually more recently “saying” the number. Husband thought I was crazy. The buttons rarely match anything I calling about. I get tired of continually reciting numbers to get someone and instead say “humprahum” when asked to say a number. The computer will generally ask me 3 times to say the number and then tell me that I need to speak to someone after apologizing that it cannot understand me.

Actually even got me through to LIPA a couple of times after Sandy.

25. Ted in Fort Lauderdale Oct 23rd 2013 at 02:10 pm 25

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Nicole @ 20 - I looked at the website you linked to, and was sure it was a parody (until I looked at a few other pages on that site) - I guess this is an example of Poe’s Corollary. There is some scary stuff on that site, and even scarier is that apparently real people buy into it all.

Meryl A @ 24 - that doesn’t always work. I’ve run into several phone response systems recently that - instead of dumping me on a person when they couldn’t figure me out - just said “sorry, I don’t understand” and hung up on me. I guess having actual customer service _people_ to answer a phone would have been too expensive…

26. Winter Wallaby Oct 23rd 2013 at 02:22 pm 26

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Ted #25: Whoa! I looked at Nicole’s link a few days ago, and didn’t bother looking at the other pages on the site. It didn’t even occur to me that it might be anything other than a joke until I read your comment.

27. Lost in A**2 Oct 23rd 2013 at 03:08 pm 27

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I once knew a woman who had a set of pink tools. She noted that she never had a problem with her tools disappearing. :)

28. Kilby Oct 24th 2013 at 07:09 am 28

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@ Lost (27) - Our preschool teacher has a supply of extra clothes in case of naptime “accidents”. There was one family that habitually “forgot” to return such loaner items, but when their son came home in a pair of pink underwear, it was returned the very next morning.

29. PepperjackCandy Oct 24th 2013 at 08:02 am 29

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

jajizi #19 — I dug up the study that you referenced and the results actually seem to show that female monkeys played with both sets of toys roughly equally, but male monkeys showed a strong preference for the toy with moving parts.

Additionally, the sample size was tiny — a total of 33 monkeys. And there were more than twice as many female monkeys (23) as male monkeys (10).

I also cannot find any evidence that the monkeys were juveniles. This means that some of the females may well have been mothers, which led to more of a focus on toys that remind them of babies than perhaps would have been seen in juveniles.

30. Wendy Oct 24th 2013 at 10:48 am 30

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@ Kilby (28) - that’s a great solution to the problem! I may share that one with our preschool.

@ Lost (27) - I’ve heard others say similar things, but I’ve also noticed that many times the quality of the pink tools is less than the regular tools for some reason (lesser warranty, even from Craftsman, who usually has a lifetime warranty on their tools). Like the manufacturer doesn’t believe that women use the tools often enough to need good quality tools.

31. Dave in Boston Oct 24th 2013 at 01:42 pm 31

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

PepperjackCandy: also monkeys know nothing about trucks — it is just an exercise in showing that you can prove anything with a rigged (intentionally or not) study.

32. Lost in A**2 Oct 25th 2013 at 10:42 am 32

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The tools *looked* cheap, too. ‘Twas an ‘emergency’ kit she kept in the office. The few times I needed them, they worked.

33. feuerstein Nov 6th 2013 at 02:56 pm 33

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Too cute, Nicole. My daughter is three years older than my son, and when he was around three years old, he wanted a Barbie. No prob, got him one.

Funny thing was, he named her “busy-barbie” and about all she did was say she was too busy to play with my daughter’s barbies.

And they both played with cars. Daughter’s cars talked to each other. Son’s cars did stuff.

34. Boise Ed Nov 6th 2013 at 10:18 pm 34

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Wendy [21]: You mentioned “Nike swoosh.” Why should a megacorp get to take an ages-old symbol like the check mark, rename it, and own it. It’s a check mark, plain and simple, unless it’s a square-root sign.

Nancy [20]: Good grief! That “and militancy, which is very healthy” line is, as Ted noted, pretty scary.

35. David S. Nov 7th 2013 at 01:56 am 35

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The Nike swoosh is a very specific shape, not just a generic check mark, and Nike was hardly a megacorp in 1971. And the reason we have trademark laws is that when we get a pair of Nike shoes, we know that they come with the quality (or lack thereof) that we’ve come to associate with Nike. Or to take another example, if you walk into a McDonalds or Subway, you know what they’re selling and you can trust that corporate works to try and make sure that a sandwich you have at one store will be the same quality as the sandwich you had at the last store.