Sunday Funnies: LOL, September 1, 2013

Cidu Bill on Sep 1st 2013

lol-tell.gif

Morris Keesan:

lol-fminus-pie.jpg

Molly J:

king-pepper.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Brevity, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, F-Minus, New Yorker, Tony Carrillo, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 27 responses so far

27 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, September 1, 2013”

1. zbicyclist Sep 1st 2013 at 12:18 am 1

2. mitch4 Sep 1st 2013 at 12:37 am 2

Hmm, I know these aren’t meant as CIDUs, but I’m still in doubt over the Magritte-based Brevity panel. I get it that this son is lesser-known because the apple is not safely up top of his head; and he probably died early in an archery-showoff incident. But why the name Stanislaus?

3. zbicyclist Sep 1st 2013 at 01:32 am 3

“Stanislaus” is funnier that “Mike”?

4. minorannoyance Sep 1st 2013 at 05:02 am 4

Inspiring to see somebody can find new gags — pretty good ones — in Magritte and bullfights.

5. Rasheed Sep 1st 2013 at 08:13 am 5

“Stan is Loss?” Because he gets shot in the face with an arrow?

6. jjmcgaffey Sep 1st 2013 at 11:45 am 6

Heh. Does anyone have any idea what William Tell’s son’s name was (the one who did get the apple shot off his head)? I don’t, and I’ve known that story for years…So, random name from the area, is my guess - Swiss alps.

7. Jeff S. Sep 1st 2013 at 12:03 pm 7

Very funny lot today! I LOL’d at the F Minus and chuckled at the others. I agree with minorannoyance… New (and funny) gags from old material is impressive.

8. Kilby Sep 1st 2013 at 01:40 pm 8

@ jjmcgaffey (6) - I don’t have confirmation yet, but the first reference I found said that the name of Tell’s son was Walter.

9. Kilby Sep 1st 2013 at 02:04 pm 9

P.S. @ 6 & 8 - Confirmed, although with alternate (German) spelling: asccording to Schiller’s version of the tale, the sons of Wilhelm Tell were named Walther and Wilhelm (presumably “Jr.”)

10. Jon Delfin Sep 1st 2013 at 02:28 pm 10

Re Stanislaus: That none of you recognizes a Polish joke makes me feel very old.

11. Ian Osmond Sep 1st 2013 at 02:39 pm 11

I would totally watch and cheer at that bullfight. I mean, THAT matador has REAL courage.

12. Detcord Sep 1st 2013 at 03:37 pm 12

You know… Having a pepper mill as a scepter is nothing to sneeze at!
    ;)

13. Detcord Sep 1st 2013 at 03:46 pm 13

I am amazed the “Stanislaus” toon is presented here as an LOL. mitch4 (2) has clarified it, for me at least. I never would have got the green thing on his nose as something his father would shoot at. Kinda makes them both idiots, doesn’t it?

And why is he in a suit - with a bowler hat? He’s Swiss for Heaven’s sake!

14. mitch4 Sep 1st 2013 at 04:01 pm 14

The appearance and costuming of the man with the apple comes from the painting this echoes. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_Man

15. AMC Sep 1st 2013 at 06:08 pm 15

Stanislaus sounds something like apple sauce, which is what an accurate William Tell would be making?

I guess I’m kind of a jughead about archery comics.

16. Ian Osmond Sep 1st 2013 at 07:42 pm 16

Detcord @ 13 — yeah, it requires you to know the Magritte painting as well as the story of William Tell. However, if you do, it’s pretty darned funny.

17. Judge Mental Sep 1st 2013 at 08:54 pm 17

Can someone explain the William Tell one for me please?
    He looks like the subject in “The Son of Man” painting. Got it.
    If William Tell tried to shoot *this* apple, he would (most likely) shoot this son in the face. Got it.

The joke? I don’t get it.

18. Mark in Boston Sep 1st 2013 at 09:08 pm 18

And then there was the third brother Alnever Tell.

19. Treesong Sep 1st 2013 at 10:54 pm 19

JM @ 17: If you know the Magritte painting, the incongruity of matching it with William Tell is immediately clear and funny. If you have to have it explained, it’s not funny any more. What’s the secret of (timing!) comedy?

20. Jeff S. Sep 2nd 2013 at 07:58 am 20

Judge Mental @ 17… This is William Tell’s lesser known son because dad hit the apple (which was IN FRONT of his head, not ON TOP of his head) and killed his son. There was no legendary tale about this son.

21. TomD Sep 2nd 2013 at 08:11 am 21

Showan Tell
    Kissin Tell
    Don T Tell

I’m sure there are others.

22. Judge Mental Sep 2nd 2013 at 08:50 am 22

@ Jeff S. I got that. I just don’t see where that is particularly funny. I realize that everyone’s humor is different, but for this to be LOL funny, I figured I had to be missing something.

For the sake of argument, wouldn’t a son that time traveled over 400 years (based on his clothes) only to be shot by his father in the face be the *more* famous of two sons?

23. Powers Sep 2nd 2013 at 09:06 am 23

You’re overthinking it.

24. Ian Osmond Sep 2nd 2013 at 09:31 am 24

Judge Mental @ 21: Here are two cultural touchstones which involve apples. Combining them would be disastrous.

I like it. It’s taking a common factor between two disparate things and juxtaposing them, and demonstrating that the results would be bad. That’s a pretty basic thing in jokes. “What do you get when you cross an X with a Y” is a standard joke formulation. You can think of this as, “What do you get when you cross Rene Magritte with William Tell? Shot in the face.”

It works better visually, of course.

25. Treesong Sep 2nd 2013 at 01:47 pm 25

Does anyone think this would have worked better if the son had been René Tell? ‘René’ is no less Swiss than ‘Stanislaus’. Greater transparency or TMI? I can’t decide.

Yeah, Coach, Polish joke, but really it’s Guillaume Tell who’s the dummy if he shoots that apple.

26. Mark in Boston Sep 2nd 2013 at 07:18 pm 26

Now if you could work Isaac Newton into the apple one somehow …

27. Ian Osmond Sep 2nd 2013 at 07:32 pm 27

Treesong @ 24 — I don’t think it’s either greater transparency or TMI: I think that it would just be another layer to the joke, and NOT be a distraction the way that “Stanislaus” is. So that’s a mark in favor of “Rene”.

On the other hand, “Rene” is more commonly a female name in the United States, so it would cause a “son? daughter? Is that the joke?” confusion instead.