Saturday Afternoon Awww

Cidu Bill on Aug 24th 2013

aww-frazz.gif

Nicole

aww-smbc.png

Filed in Awww, Frazz, Jef Mallett, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, Zach Weiner, comic strips, comics, humor | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “Saturday Afternoon Awww”

1. mitch4 Aug 24th 2013 at 04:49 pm 1

This week-long+ sequence on Frazz has definitely been aiming for the AWWWs.
    (It’s a little troubling that the original almost-hit-and-run guy gets let off with an anonymous donation.)

The SMBC is close enough to an AWWW from the expressiveness in the drawing, but the time-travel logic probably doesn’t support it as genuine emotion. For me, anyway.

2. Rundstyk Aug 24th 2013 at 05:24 pm 2

When I understood that my teacher through 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade actually had been a real friend she had unfortunately passed away and regrettably I never got to thank her for her support and ability to teach me the fun of learning. I am forever grateful for that gift.

3. Ian Osmond Aug 24th 2013 at 06:26 pm 3

mitch4 @ 1: I didn’t see that as a time-travel thing, but a survival-of-the-soul-after-death-in-a-manner-that-allows-interaction-with-the-material-world thing.

And the presumably-spouse or whatever has set up at least two packages for after his or her death, allowing for the possibility of it taking some time to learn how to affect the world.

4. Kamino Neko Aug 24th 2013 at 07:25 pm 4

Or, maybe they only sent the one, so that next month, when one doesn’t arrive, that’ll give him hope of meeting them again in the next world - whether such a world exists, or not.

5. mitch4 Aug 24th 2013 at 08:52 pm 5

You’re quite right, “time travel” isn’t the right characterization. But I had in mind just the similarity of the style of reasoning required, to deal with the classic paradoxes.

6. Skaloop Aug 24th 2013 at 09:17 pm 6

The SMBC plucked at my heartstrings already, but that last panel put me over the edge. Full disclosure, I did cry when I read it to my wife.

7. Inkwell Aug 24th 2013 at 11:20 pm 7

@Kamino Neko– Way to make me cry even more.

8. Ted in Fort Lauderdale Aug 25th 2013 at 01:48 am 8

Mitch @1 - Actually, a slightly over 2 month sequence (so far) and the driver _did_ get a ticket at the time, so he wasn’t completely let off.

9. Kilby Aug 25th 2013 at 01:48 am 9

I remember liking my 2nd grade teacher, but I have absolutely no idea what her name was.

10. Elyrest Aug 25th 2013 at 09:45 am 10

Kilby - When I was younger I could tell you the name of every teacher and grade that I had them. I can still name a few of them, but not my favorite, who I had for 5th & 6th grade. I remember how she looks and her laugh - great laugh - not her name though.

11. padraig Aug 25th 2013 at 11:59 am 11

I wish the dead people I know would send ME doughnuts. Buncha jerks. ;)

12. padraig Aug 25th 2013 at 12:02 pm 12

BTW, I think he missed the best subtext for that cartoon:

“Best-case scenario: Eternal life
    Worst-case scenario: Doughnuts
    WIN!”

13. Boise Ed Aug 25th 2013 at 02:16 pm 13

Harry Houdini famously promised to communicate a certain phrase to his wife after death, if it were possible to do so.

14. Meryl A Aug 27th 2013 at 11:58 pm 14

Boise Ed - It was the inscription in her wedding ring.

15. Meryl A Aug 28th 2013 at 12:08 am 15

Ok, tried to send a message about my belief in communication from beyond even though I know it makes me sound crazy, but something, perhaps, those in the beyond would actually not let my computer send it.

So in less detail and a difference angle, I am the type of person who is down to earth and logical and no one would believe that I believe in communication with those in the beyond. However, I have had communication from family members in a non direct way such as answers to questions appearing out of context with what they appear in. It could be coincidence, but how many coincidences can there be?