And let’s not even discuss the Geezer aspect…

Cidu Bill on Aug 8th 2013

cidu-pop-davey.gif

(For those of you under the age of… old)

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Davey and Goliath, Doug Bratton, Hey Geezers! Comics!, Pop Culture Shock Therapy, comic strips, comics, humor | 37 responses so far

37 Responses to “And let’s not even discuss the Geezer aspect…”

1. James Pollock Aug 8th 2013 at 12:28 am 1

Mortal Kombat had it’s heyday in the early 90’s. It spawned a huge number of sequels and largely died out.

Davey and Goliath has been parodied, more than once, in modern TV programs. Once upon a time, the government noted that there really wasn’t much in the way of “educational television” on the broadcast networks for children, so they mandated a minimum number of hours that had to be devoted to educational television for children. This is why shows like the old “G.I.Joe” had some ridiculous moral at the end; the TV stations then counted half-an-hour towards their “educational programming” requirement for airing the episode.
    There WERE early successes in educational television for children on broadcast networks. The Cosby Kids, for example, helped Mr. Cosby get his Ed. D, and virtually everyone of suitable age can sing parts of “Conjunction Junction” and various other Schoolhouse Rock songs.
    Anyway, Davey and Goliath wound up getting a lot of airtime because it could be counted as “educational” programs for children, although (in my experience, at least) it usually aired at hours when most children were still sleeping, either on Saturday or Sunday or both.

2. PeterW Aug 8th 2013 at 12:39 am 2

Pretty sure the recent show Moral Orel is a parody of Davey and Goliath.

Davey and Goliath has been parodied on The Simpsons and Robot Chicken, so the younger generation should at least have a vague idea what’s going on here.

3. billybob Aug 8th 2013 at 01:05 am 3

James, some networks like This TV run the same programming in all time zones at once, while planning their schedule for the East Coast, resulting in their children’s programs beginning about 5:00 am on the West Coast. Perhaps your experiences with early morning programming is in part a result of this.

4. AMC Aug 8th 2013 at 01:31 am 4

Finish him.

5. James Pollock Aug 8th 2013 at 01:47 am 5

I am a child of the era of four networks… ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS. Davey and Goliath wasn’t a network program, it was aired in reruns to meet the “educational programming” requirements. The stations clustered these on weekend mornings when adults weren’t likely to be watching, anyway. The problem the networks had was that they had a requirement to air educational programs and there were so few programs that could even be vaguely labeled as “educational” available. That’s why the FCC let them get away with labeling “G.I. Joe” as educational because they put a 15-second tag on the end with a moral to the story.

6. DemetriosX Aug 8th 2013 at 05:44 am 6

Getting cartoons to add a moral tag at the end in the 90s was actually a tightening of the regulations. Up until the early 80s the educational requirements were rather strict. That’s why ABC had Schoolhouse Rock and CBS had this cool little news for kids segment that often explained some of the major issues of the day. I’m not sure what NBC did. Those requirements and restrictions on merchandising were eliminated in the very early 80s. That’s why from that point on cartoons were essentially nothing but toy tie-ins. Adding the 15 second moral was something of a backlash, but the whole television landscape was so changed by that point, it really didn’t make a difference.

7. Jeff S. Aug 8th 2013 at 06:42 am 7

Davey and Goliath started in the 1960s and was produced by the Lutheran church. The episodes were only 15 minutes long, except for some specials and holiday episodes.

I remember watching them as I was growing up in Springfield, MO on a local TV show for kids called Children’s Hour, hosted by Aunt Norma.

8. chuckers Aug 8th 2013 at 07:47 am 8

“Video not available. :-/”

9. chuckers Aug 8th 2013 at 07:53 am 9

Allright, after googling around, I found a trailer for it:

In spite of the fact that I am a geezer and a former TV addict, I can honestly say that I have never seen it or heard of it until now. I recognise the animation style of course but don’t recognise this at all. I even remember the “30 Minutes” programme that @DemetriosX mentioned (and hated it growing up.)

10. The Bad Seed Aug 8th 2013 at 08:38 am 10

The local Philadelphia station showed D&G at something like 6 or 7 am on Sundays, so I only saw it when I got up early to sing in choir. That’s not a big time for anyone to be watching TV, some of the local network affiliates now show 30-minute infomercials during those spots.

11. Judge Mental Aug 8th 2013 at 09:05 am 11

This is tagged as a CIDU, but if one recognizes Davey and Goliath, I am not sure how you could miss the joke (which I guess explains why no one is really addressing it). Presumably one could not recognize the “Mortal Kombat” combatant or logo, and also not make out the t in the spelled out words on the wall behind them, but even without the video game as a point of reference, isn’t the phrase “mortal combat” a logical conclusion for a reader to assume Davey misheard as “moral combat”?

12. billytheskink Aug 8th 2013 at 09:08 am 12

This would have worked better in a strip with multi-panel space, as the artist could have replicated Mortal Kombat’s side-scrolling view.

Davey and Goliath still airs on TBN affiliates across the country, though I do not image their Saturday Morning programming is widely watched. Kids my age are probably as familiar with the parody in this Mounatin Dew commercial as they are with the actual show. “We got hosed, Tommy” was the hot thing to quote for a few months when I was in middle school.

13. Judge Mental Aug 8th 2013 at 09:20 am 13

@chuckers #9

I am pretty sure that “the cool little news for kids segment” from CBS to which DemetriosX was referring in #6 was “In the News”, and not “30 Minutes”. “In the News” was only a minute and a half-long and like Schoolhouse Rock was shown as a “bumper” between shows. “30 minutes” was in much the same vein, but , as one can obviously surmise, was a full 30 minute show. It was also on CBS but debuted a few years after “In the News”.

I remember “In the News” fondly, as most of the items were interesting and probably as a kid, a minute and half of “serious” news was probably more palatable. I honestly don’t remember “30 Minutes” as well and to my recollection, only a handful of episodes were made, but it also may have been close to “aging-out” of Saturday AM TV watching.

14. fj Aug 8th 2013 at 09:27 am 14

I loved “Davey and Goliath” as a kid– it was a Sunday-after-church staple for me.

This comic seems to require you to recognize the characters from “Davey and Goliath,” while forgetting what Davey was actually like. Davey did bad/stupid things all the time. The whole purpose of the series was to illustrate the problems caused by Davey’s moral missteps. Davey **did** tell lies. And disobey his parents. And steal. And blame others for his mistakes. And cheat. And was lazy. And…

The show WAS “moral combat.”

Yes, in the end, Davey would see the error of his ways, and try to make things right. But Davey was far from a perfect little goody-two-shoes.

15. padraig Aug 8th 2013 at 09:34 am 15

I liked Davey and Goliath, but Gumby kicked both their butts. Even withOUT Pokey.

16. James Pollock Aug 8th 2013 at 10:39 am 16

“Getting cartoons to add a moral tag at the end in the 90s was actually a tightening of the regulations. Up until the early 80s the educational requirements were rather strict. ”

The TV stations were caught in a catch 22. They were required to air educational programs for children, but there were very few programs that they could air, because nobody was producing any. So TV stations (not the networks) had to turn in reports showing what “educational programs for children” they were airing, and some of them started reporting entertainment shows as “educational” if they could make the thinnest claim that there was educational content, and the FCC allowed it because A) outside of the PBS system, there wasn’t anyone doing it any other way, and B) The FCC probably recognized that de facto, the market preferred to concentrate all of the children’s programming on one channel, anyway. The problem went away once the nation got cable; there’s far more children’s programming being broadcast today than anyone in the 1980’s could have imagined, because once there was a commercial market for it, it became profitable to produce.

17. adaks Aug 8th 2013 at 12:55 pm 17

OK, and now for the trivia of the day: The theme song of Davey and Goliath was……..

Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott

For all us geezers

18. Ted in Fort Lauderdale Aug 8th 2013 at 01:48 pm 18

I _am_ old (well, about Bill’s age), but like chuckers had never heard of this before now. I don’t know if it was the relatively little TV I watched at that age, the fact that there were a couple of local (south Florida) produced kids shows that may have filled the time otherwise taken by shows like this, or some other reason. I _have_ seem Morel Orel and some other the other things that were obviously spoofs of this, but I guess my knowledge of underlying geezer culture isn’t as good as I thought it was…

19. Cidu Bill Aug 8th 2013 at 04:53 pm 19

Judge Mental (#11), clearly not.

Probably doesn’t help that I never heard of “moral combat”

20. Elyrest Aug 8th 2013 at 05:09 pm 20

” I guess my knowledge of underlying geezer culture isn’t as good as I thought it was…”

Ted in Fort Lauderdale - I think lots of “geezer” or any generational culture for that matter is affected by many things. One thing alone is geography as, when we were young, regional differences were much more obvious in media coverage of everything. My older sister has often commented that she doesn’t know the things that the kids who grew up downtown talk about on Facebook. Downtown was about three miles away so it didn’t take far to have different childhood experiences.

21. Jeff S. Aug 8th 2013 at 05:46 pm 21

During the early D&G shows, Davey was a pretty good kid, but as he got into junior high, Davey was kind of a thug. Once he told a handicapped kid he should kill himself because the kid was so dumb. But in the end of each show, Davey always saw how God could help him on his journey through life.

Gee, Davey…

(Those who know the show… did you just say that in Goliath’s voice? ;) )

22. Mark in Boston Aug 8th 2013 at 10:28 pm 22

At one point someone tried to pass off “The Jetsons” as “educational”, because it teaches kids what life in the future will be like.

A future without cell phones, it appears.

23. Mark in Boston Aug 8th 2013 at 10:31 pm 23

24. jjmcgaffey Aug 8th 2013 at 11:48 pm 24

23> Remember, not exactly - but I own the book (found it at a library sale). I haven’t read it yet (and expect to find it sickening when I do), but I want to just to know the basis for the phrase.

Never heard of Davey and Goliath; I was aware of Mortal Kombat though I never played it. Interesting that the cartoonist is apparently not familiar with D&G either, if those who know it are correct that Davey went wrong until the end of each episode…

25. Dave in Asheville Aug 9th 2013 at 09:15 am 25

I’m 46, and have never seen Davey & Goliath (too young maybe?), and I also never actually played Mortal Combat (too old? was out of college and working my first job in the early 90’s), but I’m familiar enough with the trope that AMC @4 made me LOL.

26. jayjaybear Aug 10th 2013 at 12:48 am 26

27. James Pollock Aug 10th 2013 at 11:51 am 27

“Dave: I’m 42, and I have seen it, so it’s probably just that none of your local stations carried it.”

Or they ran it at an unGodly early hour, while you were still sleeping.

28. fj Aug 10th 2013 at 08:02 pm 28

>>BTW does anyone remember the original “Goody Two-Shoes”? You’d have to REALLY be a geezer.

While a 1765 book published by John Newberry (”The History of Little Goody Two-Shoes”) popularized the phrase, there are references to phrase that pre-date the book: the original “Goody Two-Shoes” has probably been lost to the sands of time.

29. Mark in Boston Aug 10th 2013 at 10:50 pm 29

“Goody” was really more of a title than a name. It was short for “Goodwife”, a polite term of address for any woman, married or not. “Goodman” was the male counterpart, as in the Nathaniel Hawthorne short story “Young Goodman Brown”.

30. Cidu Bill Aug 10th 2013 at 10:58 pm 30

And for that matter in “The Crucible,” many of the women were addressed as Goody.

31. Kilby Aug 11th 2013 at 12:03 am 31

Yesterday on NPR’s “Wait, Wait, don’t tell me”, one of the quiz answers referred to an association of gamers called the “Mortal Wombats”.

32. Elyrest Aug 11th 2013 at 10:08 am 32

Kilby - Just out of curiosity, “Wait, Wait…Don’t Tell Me” is one of my favorites on NPR, do you get this in Germany or were you streaming it over the internet.

33. Lola Aug 11th 2013 at 01:07 pm 33

I’m usually glad to learn something new here and today thought that I’d be able to return the favor. I’d known (or thought I had) of a mid 1800s lady’s magazine called Goodey’s and had always assumed it was named for the shortened form of goodwife, as in the more recent Ms magazine. Before I posted this little tidbit, I went looking for a link to post with it. Turns out I’ve been wrong all these years. It was Godey’s and named after the founder. So, accidentally, I unlearned, learned and am now sharing something today. Trifecta!

34. Kilby Aug 12th 2013 at 04:09 am 34

@ Elyrest (32) - NPR licensed a frequency (104.1 FM) to broadcast in Berlin several years ago. For a long while it only worked downtown, but about two years ago they got permission to increase their signal strength, so that I can now listen at home (in the suburbs).

35. Kilby Aug 12th 2013 at 04:10 am 35

P.S. For more details, see www.nprberlin.de.

36. Elyrest Aug 12th 2013 at 06:21 pm 36

Thanks Kilby - I had no idea that NPR was carried in Germany. I listen to the BBC quite often and never think a thing about it, but I hadn’t thought of US radio being carried in other countries. I’ve traveled in Europe a number of times, but I honestly don’t remember ever listening to the radio there. I still remember the ads for radio Free Europe that aired when I was a kid. I loved this commercial:

37. Mark in Boston Aug 13th 2013 at 05:34 pm 37

I always thought “Radio Free Europe” was a strange name. Why do they want to get rid of all the radios in Europe?