Sunday Funnies: July 21, 2013

lol-charles_roleplay-lol.png

lol-buni-birdseed.gif

lol-free-range-bill-whitehead.gif

copies.PNG

Morris Keesan:

firefly.jpg

Filed in Adam Huber, Barack Obama, Bill Bickel, Bill Whitehead, Bug Martini, Buni, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Cyanide and Happiness, Frazz, Free Range, New Yorker, lol | 27 responses so far

27 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: July 21, 2013”

1. Jeff S. Jul 21st 2013 at 12:22 am 1

It took me a couple reads to get the Frazz, but I think it might be the funniest one of the bunch!

Also, as a fairly avid birder, Death can take out as many grackles and starlings as he wants. Freaking garbage birds.

2. mitch4 Jul 21st 2013 at 12:42 am 2

Agreed, the Frazz is good — something of a variant on the student turning in the exam bluebook a little late, burying it in the middle and glad the proctor does not know his name … but leaving all that inexplicit.

Are you sure the Bug didn’t need an “Ewww”?

What’s the source of the photo-comic with the President? Is it a recurring comic? Usually done with photo like this, or more regular drawing? (The kid is maybe young enough that the current administration could have been in office while the spy agencies were witnessing his conception, I guess)

3. Cidu Bill Jul 21st 2013 at 02:07 am 3

The Obama panel was a “making the rounds of the Internet to the point where establishing provenance is not longer possible” comic

4. DemetriosX Jul 21st 2013 at 05:36 am 4

I want to like the Bug, but my brain keeps reminding me that even when they had outhouses, people also kept chamber pots (usually under the bed). Nobody wants to trudge out to the outhouse when it’s 20 below and dark.

C&H lost me at the last panel. Unless maybe Sophie is a prostitute?

And I’m assuming that the speaker on the right in Frazz is Caulfield.

5. Keera Jul 21st 2013 at 06:56 am 5

LOL’ed at the Obama one. And the Buni one is awesome in its creativity (and efficiency).

Jeff S., here in Norway, starlings are one of the most popular heralders of spring - but they are natural to our flora and fauna and so aren’t harming anything, like they do in the US. (Stoopid Shakespeare fans.)

6. farmer Jul 21st 2013 at 07:40 am 6

I often feel cartoons would be better if their authors allowed more subtlety in their captions. Like the New Yorker one, something like “the FBI is our cloud now” makes you stop and think for a moment, which increases the fun instead of hitting you over the head to make sure you understand.

Good collection. I’m with Jeff S on the starlings; you can have ‘em, Keera.

7. furrykef Jul 21st 2013 at 08:08 am 7

farmer — if it had that caption, it’d be here as a CIDU.

8. Judge Mental Jul 21st 2013 at 08:30 am 8

I don’t think I get the Frazz. I get the gag in the second panel (Firefly season = Firefly *hunting* season), but I don’t see where the third panel adds any humor.

9. Bj Jul 21st 2013 at 08:52 am 9

DemetriosX: Nobody wants to, but almost everyone did. Chamber pots were a definite exception. Just for kicks, here’s a JWRiley poem my dear ol’ dad often recited. http://www.jameswhitcombriley.com/passing_of_outhouse.htm

10. mitch4 Jul 21st 2013 at 09:48 am 10

Judge #8 — I think the coda chuckle in Frazz last panel is meant to be an allusion to the “Do you know who I am?” trope I mentioned at #2. It can be narrated at various settings, but a typical one is a student at the exam for a college-level large course. He goes on writing after the time limit, and the proctor is going to fail him on the exam. But he asks that self-important-sounding question, and upon getting a “No” reply, buries his bluebook in the stack.

Similarly, in this cartoon, the 2nd character (quite likely Caulfield, as suggested) plans to maintain his anonymity.

11. Chakolate Jul 21st 2013 at 10:58 am 11

I’m feeling very defective: I don’t see a Frazz comic. ????

12. mitch4 Jul 21st 2013 at 11:07 am 12

Chak, don’t feel bad. None of the familiar characters show their faces in this one, not the usual scenery, nor even really the artist’s style … It’s the fireflies one!

13. David Jul 21st 2013 at 03:19 pm 13

The bug one brought this to mind.

14. Kamino Neko Jul 21st 2013 at 06:39 pm 14

The Bug…bugged me, for basically the reason DemetriosX mentioned…although from a different angle.

If you’re sh*tting where you eat, either you’ve got a ridiculously tiny apartment, or you choose a strange room to take your meals.

Keeping areas separate does not require keeping them in completely separate buildings. An animal whose entire life is in a cage as large relative to it as my bedroom is to me manage to keep the ‘before’ and ‘after’ areas for their food separate…people who live in buildings with walls have no problem with it whatsoever.

15. zbicyclist Jul 21st 2013 at 08:46 pm 15

@Chakolate, the Frazz comic is the lightning bug one.

16. Boise Ed Jul 22nd 2013 at 01:14 am 16

My grandparents had chamberpots for exactly the reason DemetriosX stated. They used them even on summer nights.

And the Frazz third panel does add to it. The guy realized how stupid the idea of shooting fireflies sounded, so he retained his anonymity.

17. Targuman Jul 22nd 2013 at 02:35 am 17

farmer - think I will have to borrow that “FBI is our cloud” line!

18. Chakolate Jul 22nd 2013 at 12:17 pm 18

mitch4 and zbicyclist, thanks. I remembered seeing the comic on a site I regularly read, I just didn’t connect it with Frazz.

A propos of absolutely nothing, when i was on SMBC yesterday, I clicked through on an ad for a comic called “Marry Me”, and I’ve spent much of the intervening time reading the archives. It’s weird and wonderful: http://marryme.keenspot.com/

19. farmer Jul 22nd 2013 at 01:38 pm 19

Chakolate,

I started reading that a few months ago, for the same reason, but was quickly turned off when I found that they didn’t have an archive. There’s no way to pick up in the middle of the story if you have to stop. I still don’t see one, following your link. Any advice?

20. Cidu Bill Jul 22nd 2013 at 01:53 pm 20

What I do in cases like that is e-mail myself the URL for the last one I read.

21. farmer Jul 22nd 2013 at 05:57 pm 21

CIDU Bill, that makes sense (or bookmark it, I suppose).

But how does one get back in now? I know where in the story I stopped, but don’t have a clue how to get back there without LOTS of tedious clicking through.

22. mitch4 Jul 22nd 2013 at 06:04 pm 22

Chakolate & Farmer, I also stumbled on “Marry Me” and started reading it a month or six weeks ago. It’s a good story and a fun outlook.

BUT I cannot fathom the narrative sequence or pacing. I do understand that the current storyline is a flashback relative to the opening chapter (of the fateful concert and aftermath). But that opening chapter took as much time as it needed for many many details of the concert, the following night, and the test of the trip to Africa. And then, suddenly, presto change-o, all the issues of the powerful biznessman showbiz papa were resolved altogether, the legalisms were put to rest, and a future career map was laid out in strange truncation. It’s like he was ready to end the comic series right there … but decided to give us more and jumped into the past. What gives?

Speaking of interesting but unassuming comics I’ve found recently, is anybody else following “Think before you think”?

23. Chakolate Jul 22nd 2013 at 07:56 pm 23

farmer, I don’t really know except for just going back through. Or use the RSS feed - once you’ve subbed, you can pick a random spot and see if you’ve already read that… well, you get the idea.

Or you could start with this one: http://marryme.keenspot.com/d/20130630.html and just change the date if you know more-or-less what date you stopped reading.

24. Chakolate Jul 22nd 2013 at 08:03 pm 24

mitch4, I really like Think Before You Think. So far, anyway. The characters are really good.

25. Meryl A Jul 24th 2013 at 01:23 am 25

But do you have any idea of what the FBI will charge to give you a copy of what they have saved?

26. Christine Jul 26th 2013 at 02:11 pm 26

I honestly don’t get the one with Death and the birds. Can someone explain it? All I can come up with is that he’s starving them, but that doesn’t actually make any sense.

27. Lost in A**2 Jul 26th 2013 at 03:15 pm 27

No, the birds can’t see the glass box around the food and so run it to it, killing themselves.